Eating under 1200 calories

Options
I wasn't watching my calorie intake at all. However I got curious as to what I was actually consuming, so I joined MFP. I learned that most of the time I am not even hitting 1200 calories and it really didn't phase me any because I am losing weight (a total of 77 over the past 3 years and 54 in the past 10.5 months). I am also drinking Vi-Shape Shakes 2x a day! With those and being under my recommended caloric intake, I am not really concerned about a nutrition deficit because the shakes are very nutritional! I also don't exercise at all, other than daily activities with household chores and sometimes blast music and dance with my children.

Oh and the sugars! Wow I tend to blow them off because I go over quite frequently and most of them are natural occurring sugars in fruits and vegetables. I also frequently go over my protein recommendation but again, not really concerned because I have learned that you can consume 30g per meal and are fine as it takes 3-4 hours to. Consuming more then that at a setting makes no difference as those first 30 is all the body takes in and the extra does not benefit nor harm you, so I have read in a few different places.

Anyways, would like thoughts, concerns, and opinons, as well as suggestions and any other helpful information that may pertain to this discussion.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What eating under 1200 calories can do:

1) slow your metabolism over time...as your metabolism slows, so will weight loss, and eventually you'll stall out
    2) not enough fuel to workout (though you're not working out)
    3) If you ever go back to eating like normal, you will most likely gain weight back.

It isn't recommended unless your under close supervision by a doctor. It can cause health problems the longer you go about it.

You might want to read this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919536-get-your-metabolic-rate-tested-my-metabolic-reset-story?hl=get+your+metabolic+rate+tested
  • JeraLee31885
    Options

1) slow your metabolism over time...as your metabolism slows, so will weight loss, and eventually you'll stall out
    3) If you ever go back to eating like normal, you will most likely gain weight back.

It isn't recommended unless your under close supervision by a doctor. It can cause health problems the longer you go about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919536-get-your-metabolic-rate-tested-my-metabolic-reset-story?hl=get+your+metabolic+rate+tested

Thank you I will read that! It's not that I am intentionally eating under. I'm just not always hungry. There were a couple days, after I started tracking calories on here, that I forced my self to eat a little more just to meet at least 1200 and it made me feel miserable. I do try to snack but even then I still sometimes don't hit 1200
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    lol
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    don't eat less than 1200
  • metallison
    metallison Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi shakes are not nutritional. Please read this review from a Fitness & Nutrtion Coach. Please read the whole thing becasue most of the nutrition stuff is towards the middle.
    http://www.davidmodderman.com/blog/index.php/weight-loss/body-by-vi-is-it-all-hype/
  • Lexandrea
    Lexandrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options

This happened to me exactly....but my situation is different...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    lolno
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

After seeing
    I am not really concerned about a nutrition deficit because the shakes are very nutritional!
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Can I ask, because I never understand and maybe you can shed light on this, will you do Body by Vi forever? If not, how do you go back to eating real food and not gain back? For me, I needed to learn to eat better, healthier, and smaller portions to feel as though my weight loss is sustainable and be able to maintain more easily when I get to my goal......not trying to be critical, but am genuinely curious about that...
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You do look great but this kind of eating will not be sustainable over your lifetime, and you might find yourself having gained a lot of it back. To stop this from happening, you'll need to rethink the way you eat.

I know you feel "miserable" when you have to meet your calorie goal of 1200, as maybe you're so used to eating the way you do, you feel eating more than that is too much. But I can assure you, even though you are sedentary, depending on your weight, you should be eating even more. Keep in mind, this doesn't mean stuffing your face with crap, but rather choosing more nutrient dense foods to fuel you.

After awhile, you'll realize you can get every nutrient you need through normal food, and you'll love that you get to eat more calories.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels eats somewhere around 1800-2000 a day.

And she is hot.

Just saying.

(she actually doesn't advocate calorie counting, but she does advocate eating super healthy and super clean, which ultimately results in calorie reduction)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I am not really concerned about a nutrition deficit because the shakes are very nutritional!

sure.

wot.gif
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I wasn't watching my calorie intake at all. However I got curious as to what I was actually consuming, so I joined MFP. I learned that most of the time I am not even hitting 1200 calories and it really didn't phase me any because I am losing weight (a total of 77 over the past 3 years and 54 in the past 10.5 months). I am also drinking Vi-Shape Shakes 2x a day! With those and being under my recommended caloric intake, I am not really concerned about a nutrition deficit because the shakes are very nutritional! I also don't exercise at all, other than daily activities with household chores and sometimes blast music and dance with my children.

Oh and the sugars! Wow I tend to blow them off because I go over quite frequently and most of them are natural occurring sugars in fruits and vegetables. I also frequently go over my protein recommendation but again, not really concerned because I have learned that you can consume 30g per meal and are fine as it takes 3-4 hours to. Consuming more then that at a setting makes no difference as those first 30 is all the body takes in and the extra does not benefit nor harm you, so I have read in a few different places.

Anyways, would like thoughts, concerns, and opinons, as well as suggestions and any other helpful information that may pertain to this discussion.

i'm not a fan of any shakes/replacement meal things but if it works for you well very nice. i think as you get closer and closer to your goal you will struggle to loose the weight eating the way you do. as far as dancing and running around after your children that's a great form of exercise (although i don't have children so i can't say from experience). i do however have household chores that i do on a daily basis plus saturday is house cleaning day but i do not count this as exercise as i have been doing this for years and it is just something you do. it's like counting grocery shopping as exercise.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Humblebrag about being an overweight person suddenly giddy with the novelty of being able/willing to starve themselves and wanting to be fawned over for it.....

tumblr_m9sqz39lhr1r5r5uqo1_250.gif

Well, it's not very novel. We have tons of threads of people claiming that they can't eat more than a toddler. (Because, diet, duh!) And it's not really very sound, either - those shakes aren't terribly nutritious and won't replace actual food in the long term.

So, really, average post. Average issue. *shrug*
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Maybe stop drinking Body by Vi shakes two times a day and eat real food instead.

Eating 1200 shouldn't be a problem.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I just don't know how you people do it. I would starve.

I eat around 1600 to 1800 (in total, on top of burned calories), work out a few times a week and have been at my perfect weight for a very long time. I'm 5'3", 120 lbs.

I can't see how eating so little could be good for you. As long as you are eating the right foods, eat when you are hungry. It's the crap that makes us fat, in my opinion.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

But skinny does not necessarily equal healthy.

While your weight loss is to be commended, and you are likely less at risk for some of the terrible obesity-related diseases and conditions that you were when you started, at some point, you probably need to think about developing a healthy relationship with food and some eating habits that will provide your body with the nutrition that it needs so that you can be healthy *and* skinny!
  • s00z22
    s00z22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i do however have household chores that i do on a daily basis plus saturday is house cleaning day but i do not count this as exercise as i have been doing this for years and it is just something you do. it's like counting grocery shopping as exercise.

My FitBit counts that towards my steps = exercise and I think it should. After all, my caloric burn rate is based off "just existing" so if I do more than "just exist" (like shop or clean) I think it's correct to give you "credit" for it. You should totally count it. :)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Humblebrag about being an overweight person suddenly giddy with the novelty of being able/willing to starve themselves and wanting to be fawned over for it.....

tumblr_m9sqz39lhr1r5r5uqo1_250.gif

Well, it's not very novel. We have tons of threads of people claiming that they can't eat more than a toddler. (Because, diet, duh!) And it's not really very sound, either - those shakes aren't terribly nutritious and won't replace actual food in the long term.

So, really, average post. Average issue. *shrug*

Buffy GIF.... Internet is won for the day.
  • JeraLee31885
    Options
    Body by Vi shakes are not nutritional. Please read this review from a Fitness & Nutrtion Coach. Please read the whole thing becasue most of the nutrition stuff is towards the middle.
    http://www.davidmodderman.com/blog/index.php/weight-loss/body-by-vi-is-it-all-hype/

Have read it, more than once as a matter of fact. Read a lot of other things and did quite a bit research before trying the product. And to each their own and I am fine with that. I am not here to shove what is/has worked for me to balance out and change my lifestyle habits, but compared to my lifestyle before body by vi the shakes are a nutritional benefit. I am not here to argue about the quality of the program I have decided to do, it is working for me and to me that is what matters. There are quite a few nutritional advantages that using the products added to my not very healthy lifestyle before hand. I did my own research and I have seen all of the controversies from both sides of the pot and there will always be controversies no matter what the subject is, but ultimately you are the only that can make the decision on whether or not something could be beneficial to you.