No Calorie Noodle Texture

Options
I picked up some no calorie noodles at the grocery store (specifically, NoOodle Noodles: http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=721780) to try and eat fewer calories during the day.

They sounded pretty good, no calories, no fat, no carbs, no soy, no gluten. But they have such a weird texture that I can't eat them. They're so chewy. I'm not a picky eater, but there is something about these noodles that I just can't stomach.

Does anybody have any recipes or tips that mitigate the weird texture of the noodles?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with those; I just usually do whole wheat. I did try yam noodles for the first time this week at a korean restaurant and loved them. I think they were around 10 calories for quite a lot. I don't know if they would work as a regular pasta replacement, but they are great in broth dishes.

I don't think you are going to find a no calorie, no fat, no carb, no gluten pasta that is going to have a normal texture.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Maybe sautee them in a little oil to crisp them up a bit? I like the Shirataki Tofu noodles, they're 20 calories for 4 oz.
  • amanda1005
    amanda1005 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The first time I had them, I had the same reaction. But they eventually grew on me. I would say try and dry them out as much as possible. Once I let them drain in a cloth, I put them in the oven with just a tad of olive oil and let them bake for about 10 minutes. They still have some resistance, but definitely not as gummy.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I bought a pack of yam (and tofu) noodles at the grocery store. They aren't calorie free (20 cals per serving, only 3 carbs), but they were super chewy as well. I cooked them as directed and I couldn't even chew through them. I just kind of swallowed them. The taste wasn't bad though.

They were the Shirataki Tofu mentioned above as well.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The Shirataki are really good if you rinse well, let drain, and cook in mega spice with Braggs Liquid Aminos.
  • SaraShenanigans
    SaraShenanigans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe sautee them in a little oil to crisp them up a bit? I like the Shirataki Tofu noodles, they're 20 calories for 4 oz.

I was thinking of that, but I don't know of many recipes for it. Maybe saute them with onions, garlic, and pepper like I would for fried rice?
  • SaraShenanigans
    SaraShenanigans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first time I had them, I had the same reaction. But they eventually grew on me. I would say try and dry them out as much as possible. Once I let them drain in a cloth, I put them in the oven with just a tad of olive oil and let them bake for about 10 minutes. They still have some resistance, but definitely not as gummy.

The recipe I made last night was served cold, but for lunch I heated them up, and they're much more tolerable. I'm hoping they'll grow on me, too. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I tried the other pack of Shirataki noodles I had. I rinsed and boiled them, and then I pan fried them with some eggs. They were still chewier than I'm used to but a lot better.

I used a whole pack of noodles (40 calories), 3/4 cup egg beaters (100 calories), and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil just to coat the noodles (60 calories) to make some fried rice.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me and the OH decided that these noodles were actually alien snot! They are weird and I can't chew them at all, just swallow them. Having said that, I do like them with a spicy sauce and have prawns or quorn with them.
  • stokd
    stokd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're not too hung up on them not actually being noodles, spaghetti squash is amazing. I started trying to eat clean a couple weeks ago and have been putting it in stir fry and anywhere I can in place of noodles. Very low cal, low carb, very tasty with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. It reminds me a lot of the singapore noodles you'd find at an Asian buffet, though I haven't found if there's a way to make them crispier or firmer. Just a thought!
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    If you're not too hung up on them not actually being noodles, spaghetti squash is amazing. I started trying to eat clean a couple weeks ago and have been putting it in stir fry and anywhere I can in place of noodles. Very low cal, low carb, very tasty with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. It reminds me a lot of the singapore noodles you'd find at an Asian buffet, though I haven't found if there's a way to make them crispier or firmer. Just a thought!

Sauteeing in a nonstick pan with a little olive oil should start caramelizing/crisping the spaghetti squash a little. Used to do this with ramen noodles when I was a teenager.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I really like spaghetti squash as an alternative and just bought a spiral cutter because I heard spiral cut zucchini noodles are another fantastic sub for pasta. I would go for either of those 2 vegetable options over the shirataki noodles and I'm generally not picky, and have tried them many different ways over many years.