Toning Arms

Options
I have been working on losing weight and toning up since January of 2013, I have toned up my legs, butt and even my post kids belly area. (Though I still have too much fat to SEE my abs, -I- can see the difference and feel in it my posture.)

I run 3 times a week at least on top of doing aerobic cardio and strength training for an over all loss of about 20 inches. However... I have yet to lose even a single inch from my arms. I work them specifically 6 days a week with free weights and I have seen literally no difference in appearance or measured results. Suggestions?

Replies

• bmc726
    bmc726 Posts: 8
    Options
    bump. I am having the same problem
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting BIG weights with your arms or 5-10 lb dumbells?
  • aoifebos1
    aoifebos1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would say lift heavier weights less often, 2-3 times a week max to give your muscles time to repair in between sessions. Do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps with as heavy a weight as you can keeping proper form. You will soon see them toning up.
    Good luck!
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You're doing well on the aesthetics from what you described :drinker:

How exactly are you attempting to tone your arms? Details needed on your work out plan: size of weights, how many reps, how many sets
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting BIG weights with your arms or 5-10 lb dumbells?

^This. Also try the big lifts: squat, bench, OHP, Deadlift, row. Lift heavy.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, try lifting heavy. What is the amount of weight your lifting? How many reps? How many sets? If the reps are too easy increase either weight or number of reps and sets.

Try fast reps too, I like them and they help to burn fat (I think).

you could also combine weight reps with some yoga/pilates arm movements to sculpt. There's this great video on pinterest for sculpting.

Lifting heavy won't bulk you out.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as selective fat loss. Your body will "tone" or lose fat in the opposite order of where it was gained first. Now if you build more muscle in the area you will see results. What exercises are you doing 6 days a week for your arms (reps/sets/weight)
  • kywistar
    kywistar Posts: 4
    Options
    I use 8lb weights, I do 3 sets of 15 reps each for bicep curls, lateral raises, and tricep extensions. I also do between 5 sets of 20 "girly" pushups every morning. I really can feel it when I am doing my arms, break a sweat and everything. The lack of results is SO frustrating.

I also work as a bartender, which includes carrying cases of beer, buckets of ice, and moving kegs about 5 days a week. You would think I would have a gun show by now! :)

I moved up to the 8lb weights about 3 weeks ago from 5lb weights.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight to an amount you can do about 8-10 times in a set. Up the ante on the pushups and graduate to the real thing. Try doing as many real pushups as you can then when you cant go anymore drop to your knees and continue to knock em out
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    Increase the weight to an amount you can do about 8-10 times in a set. Up the ante on the pushups and graduate to the real thing. Try doing as many real pushups as you can then when you cant go anymore drop to your knees and continue to knock em out

^^^This... and lots of time. It really does take time. Don't give up!!! It takes a lot of work but it is worth it!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use 8lb weights, I do 3 sets of 15 reps each for bicep curls, lateral raises, and tricep extensions. I also do between 5 sets of 20 "girly" pushups every morning. I really can feel it when I am doing my arms, break a sweat and everything. The lack of results is SO frustrating.

I also work as a bartender, which includes carrying cases of beer, buckets of ice, and moving kegs about 5 days a week. You would think I would have a gun show by now! :)

Definitely lift heavier. I lift 2-3 times a week. My muscles are pretty defined. I am currently doing 3 sets of 6 reps. What Weight I lift depends on the exercise but it is usually 15-25 lb dumbbells. No girl push-ups either. Keep progressing and it will happen:-).
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We call those angel wings!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • kywistar
    Options
    Hahaha, we call them bingo wings here.
  • kywistar
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I guess I need to go invest in some heavier weights and man up. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

If you work as a bartender, you're a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for. Increase your weights to where lifting 5 sets of 5 seems hard. When that gets easy, increase the weight again.