Scared to go to the gym :(

Options
Anyone else in the same boat?

I used to love going, I went almost everyday and it felt great - but I was slimmer then.

Now, I've had a baby and I'm ashamed of how I look, it doesn't help that my self esteem is at an all time zero. I know going will make me feel better but I don't really know what I'm scared of :S

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Go in like you own it! And I'm sure you won't be the only one feeling a little intimidated. Everyone had to start somewhere.
  • ShaunShaunphenomenon
    ShaunShaunphenomenon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate!!!!!!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Why not workout at home? I'm not a fan of gyms either. I am doing Jillian's Body Revolution. All you need is some resistance cables and a few sets of weights. I absolutely love it!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Don't be ridiculous...I've yet to walk into any gym where EVERYONE is young, hot and in great shape. Go in like a boss, and own it!

There's nothing to be afraid of :noway:
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym at almost 300 lbs...If I can do it, anyone can! Hold your head high...You don't know where those other people started from and some day you'll be the one inspiring others!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Try going to a class. You can "hide" in the back. Or find out when they are least busy and go then. You can get back in to the groove of working out and hopefully that will boost your confidence, then you can get into a routine that works best for you.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi there, you are not alone.
    This is me too.
    I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week last sept - nov. then life and stress got in the way. Anyway, I fell off the wagon big time and I am now (I'm guessing 'cause I'm afraid to get on the scale) about 25 pounds heavier. None of my clothes fit me. I haven't been this size in over 15 years.
    I'm afraid to go to the gym and have all those people think "wow, has she ever gained weight". So, my plan is to do the 30 day shred and shape up my eating habits again, loose some weight then get back to the gym.
    You can do it.
  • mary_elizabeth28
    Options
    Most people are so engrossed in their workouts that they don't even notice anyone around them - so even though it may feel like it, honestly no-one is looking at you.

The first time will be hard. The second will be easier, and from your third visit onwards, you won't even remember to feel self-conscious.

Enjoy all the benefits you will get from exercise :)
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If your going to do the gym do the gym. Don't worry about anyone else you have a jog to do. If your still hesitant, why not get some dvd's and start at home?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    All it take is those first few steps through the door and you got it!!

are there any classes at the gym that you can join aerobics/zumba etc? Maybe that will help you to feel a bit less self concious?

Once you got the first visit out of the way you will feel lots better!

The worst someone can do is look at you?
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You are the most important reason to go-F the haters-oh and that new baby-before you know it that child will be running you ragged and you'll be thankful you started working out so you can keep up w/him-her. And Congratulations on the baby they really are a special gift
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So don't! I refuse to pay money for such things, when I can jog and bike outside or do a workout video at home.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound harsh, but it is a lesson I had to learn.

Ain't nobody looking at you. Everyone is so focused on themselves and their workout that while they may appear to be looking at you they really aren't. Go in there, work your booty off and feel proud of yourself.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    You can probably count the number of folks who will judge you for your appearance at a (good, reputable) gym with the fingers on one hand. You can definitely ignore the number of folks who do so with any number of fingers you like.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Just go.
    there are people bigger than yo uthat I see pushing to go that probably feel the same way but who cares. If someone is judging you, thats THEIR PROBLEM. - not yours.

Just do it.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Listen! You just have to get over that and quick! I use to be 380 and I can tell you that you have to develop a thick skin, and beside, I hightly doubt anyone is judging you at all, in most cases everyone is there to just do their own thing and get on with it!
    Now I work out with a trainer and I started with him at 230 and maybe folks did look, but with him t here I could have cared less, and besides I had to also get over that since he was looking at me all of the time, and he is a nice looking 37yr old. Let's just say the results speak for themselves I am 170 now!!! and I look good for an old lady!!!!!
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This happened with me when I wanted to go to the gym, =) I believed I was ugly and that everyone would stare at me, but actually it was the total opposite! The people at the gym, even strangers helped me around and gave me special tips and always supported me. And they concentrated on their work. Once in a while a person would stare but that's a different story ;)

So even if you think you don't look beautiful or slim, just like twinketta said, a few steps through the door and you wont feel shy anymore! ^_^

I wish you the best luck.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The Penguin once said •"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - You can do it.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    A wise man once said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself".
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    when I see someone going to gym who needs to lose weight I am happy for them. sometimes I go up and start talking to them just to be friendly. on the flip side if anyone is thinking something negative then I say F&*! THEM! IF they can't appreciate the fact that I am trying to better myself then they have some issues of their own.