i have some questions about alcohol.

Options
I like to drink occasionally, i used to drink every weekend, but now since i started working out and dieting, i only drink once every 2-3 weeks, so i was wondering how damaging it is? and how i can avoid gaining alot of weight by drinking, people here say "If it fits your macro, it shouldnt be a big thing" but how damaging is it really? i won't give up drinking because i like it (And mostly drink beer, so telling me to drink vodka with diet coke isn't helping me at all) so what can i do? and i was also wondering if it's bad to drnink after working out? i ussually workout before drinking.. Is this a bad thing? i also enjoy taking a pint of guinness in the shower after a long workout.

Sorry for all the questions, but could i get some help?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    You're 18...where is it legal to drink at 18? :laugh: It was legal when I was 18, but it wasn't a very good thing.

But, in general, drink in moderation. Log it like any other food.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ethenol (alcohol) is a poison. It takes a toll on your body and you liver and kidneys do a lot of work trying to filter it out.

That being said, I love drinking! :drinker:

Regardless of the taxing things above, I stick to light beers that fit in my carb range. It's empty calories, but I don't really think about that when I hop into a bar with my buddies. Just account for it and plan ahead of time before you go out (you might be too hammered when you get back home, or can't remember).

It's probably the worst thing I have on a regular basis, but with the rest of my fitness training, I've never felt better.
    You're 18...where is it legal to drink at 18?

Most other countries outside of the US. His scale is on metric, so I'm going to go ahead and make assumptions.
  • agooddaytodiesoft
    Options
    You're 18...where is it legal to drink at 18? :laugh: It was legal when I was 18, but it wasn't a very good thing.

It's legal here in Norway man, i find it weird that everyone on these forums automaticly assume i'm American, ask first ;)
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    its not so much the calories in alcohol but the bad food decisions u make when u r feeling the effects.
  • ghostlyy
    ghostlyy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I posted on another weight loss forum about alcohol and this was the response I got.... Just passing along the message. I decided not to drink for a while while I'm really trying to lose weight, I'll relax more once I've lost more, but its just the beginning for me! Hope this is helpful and feel free to dispel this as untrue. it was simply written to me on another forum, but I think it makes a LOT of sense.

Quote:
    It has been proven by a study from the New England Journal of Medicine that alcohol slows down the body's metabolism. It states that a person on a 1250 calorie diet, who has ingested 250 calories from alcohol could have reduced their metabolic process by as much as 36%. This indicates your body is handling calories almost forty percent less effectively.

The liver cells are the only cells in the body that can make adequate amounts of the enzyme, alcohol dehydrogenase. This is what effectively breaks down alcohol. When alcohol is present the liver cells are forced to metabolize alcohol (not fat) and the fatty acids accumulate. In other words the liver is too busy detoxifying the alcohol that has been consumed that it doesn't burn fat effectively.

Alcohol actually counts as 2 servings of fat per 4-5 ounces of wine, 1 light beer or 1 ounce of hard liquor according to the diabetic exchange system.

Alcohol is a harsh diuretic, but by being a diuretic, alcohol depletes the water soluble B vitamins. The B vitamins have numerous functions in the body (fighting stress and helping us digest food properly) but in terms of weight management they are important in supporting the fat burning process.

Rather than getting stored as fat, the main fate of alcohol is conversion into a substance called acetate. In fact, blood levels of acetate after drinking vodka were 2.5 times higher than normal. And it appears this sharp rise in acetate puts the brakes on fat loss.

A car engine typically uses only one source of fuel. Your body, on the other hand, draws from a number of different energy sources, such as carbohydrate, fat, and protein. To a certain extent, the source of fuel your body uses is dictated by its availability. In other words, your body tends to use whatever you feed it. Consequently, when acetate levels rise, your body simply burns more acetate, and less fat. In essence, acetate pushes fat to the back of the queue.
    So basically, you could totally eat right, and in fact under eat, and have a couple of mixed drinks after work and totally negate EVERYTHING you've done for the past day -- or two -- in just a few hours.

For the past two months I've limited my drinking to once every two weeks and I've discovered that drinking heavily is virtually a week set back -- after you've been drinking you can hold water for a day or two until your body rebalances itself, plus it seems to take time for things to get back on the fat burning track to boot.
  • LButterfly201
    Options

The UK? =)
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    At my fittest and thinnest, I was not drinking much at all; I just fit the calories into my daily allotment. I tend to drink pretty high ABV beers, so it amounted to about 1 beer every 2-3 days, and only on those nights where I wasn't getting up at 4:45 to run the next morning.

Don't take my advice, though. Beer wins out every time... which is why I'm still here. ;)
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I never stopped drinking. lost 115lbs in a year...
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I'd assume you were from Europe right away, Americans ain't got no good english skillz.

As for beer, drink in moderation, just like anything else you eat or drink. Oranges are healthy, but 40 oranges isn't. Boneless, skinless chicken breast is healthy, but 6 pounds (2.7 kilos) isn't. Milk can be a healthy option as well, but a gallon a day probably isn't the best idea.

I drink about 5 times a week. Usually 2 beers on a Friday and Saturday night, and one on the nights I don't have a late workout. I'm losing just fine, when I'm smart about it.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    when you put alcohol into your body, your body focuses on processing it first before anything else. I'd say that if you just worked out, it would slow down any fat burning that was still going on.

i used to drink a lot, but I haven't touched the stuff in 11 months. Much better off.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I posted on another weight loss forum about alcohol and this was the response I got.... Just passing along the message. I decided not to drink for a while while I'm really trying to lose weight, I'll relax more once I've lost more, but its just the beginning for me! Hope this is helpful and feel free to dispel this as untrue. it was simply written to me on another forum, but I think it makes a LOT of sense.

^^This. And hello down from Peoria, IL!

If you're trying to get to a really low body fat %, then cut it out completely. You can still lose weight and be fit while incorporating drinking your weekends.
  • ton40orbust
    ton40orbust Posts: 155
    Options
    I drink on occasion and on occasion I mean 4-6 nights a week. but I noticed I lose weight faster when I haven't had alcohol for a few days. If it fits in your calorie allowance I say go for it.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I like to drink occasionally, i used to drink every weekend, but now since i started working out and dieting, i only drink once every 2-3 weeks, so i was wondering how damaging it is? and how i can avoid gaining alot of weight by drinking, people here say "If it fits your macro, it shouldnt be a big thing" but how damaging is it really? i won't give up drinking because i like it (And mostly drink beer, so telling me to drink vodka with diet coke isn't helping me at all) so what can i do? and i was also wondering if it's bad to drnink after working out? i ussually workout before drinking.. Is this a bad thing? i also enjoy taking a pint of guinness in the shower after a long workout.

Just break up, troll
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Not another drinking thread. Man I drink all the time. Weigh what I weighed in high school.

Stayed out til 2 am the other night, got 4 hrs sleep, then ran a 1:43 half-marathon the next morning.

Think I'm gonna take my motorcycle to happy hour tonight :)

Enjoy!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Every country, apart from the US.

---

Alcohol is fine as long as it is in moderation.
    Also, log the calories in the drinks.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options

The UK? =)

Chili, argentina, brazil....
  • jay11284
    jay11284 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One thing that I look forward to most all week is enjoying a few craft beers (at home or sometimes even at the brewery if I'm lucky) on the weekend. I've been able to drop weight even with having a few beers on the weekend. I'm very strict about my diet during the week and I hit the gym 4 times a week after work. It's all about dedication. Allowing yourself to enjoy a drink every now and then isn't going to stop your progress as long as you don't drink all the time.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    its not so much the calories in alcohol but the bad food decisions u make when u r feeling the effects.

When I first read this I thought it said "but the bad decisions u make when you're feeling the effects".lol

But yeah, bad food decisions, too :)
  • jillallardyce
    Options
    I love really good craft beers myself. I sometimes will drink one a night. I never drink more than 2 beers at a time. no liquor. Sometimes a glass of wine or 2... ;) Thing is, I know if I stopped drinking a beer every day or every other day late in the evening I would probably drop a pound a week like I want to. I think it's about convincing yourself that alcohol is a poison.... And, to limit drinking to the weekends as a treat. Don't keep it in your fridge!!! To tempting. I'm struggling with it myself. Beer and candy are my demons!!!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

Alcohol is only as damaging as you'll deem it to be if you're drinking excessively. Social drinking is perfectly fine following your workout, as long as you're on top of your hydration volume-consumption before and during your exercise routines.

Guinness ~ is an incredibly reparative beer ~ so I'm not at all surprised that you're prone to inculcating it into your post workout ritual.

* Always prioritise eating enough to complement your beers capped limit for the night (following your post workout protocols), before heading out for the evening to prevent you from having a bite of select dehydrating pub/bar menu options, which'll only increase your thirst for additional unnecessary drinks.