Scared to go to the gym :(

Options

Replies

• tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    haha
    I used to think I need to get in shape before I could go to the gym. :huh: Yeah......

Now when I go, I workout early in the mornings (around 5:30 am). There aren't many people there, and the people that are there are too busy with their own workouts to notice me and mine.

But because I have been going into the weights section to lift, the few guys in there have noticed and instead of making me feel intimidated, there have been a few that introduced themselves, asked if I knew how to use the equipment, offered to show me anything I had questions on, and also invited me to workout with them.

I was pleasantly surprised, as I wasn't expecting any of that. :happy: They waited a week and a half before doing so, probably to see if I was in once, but after seeing me every day, I guess they realized I was there to stay and exercise. haha

I feel like a wimp sometimes, because they are there lifting crazy heavy weights that I only dream about someday lifting, and I'm there with a dinky little 20 lbs.... but hey, I gotta start somewhere!!! :laugh:

The hard part is getting in there. Once you are in, just put your headphones on and get it done. Walk out of there feeling like a rockstar. :glasses:
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Somebody posted earlier that "everyone in the gym is too busy looking at themselves to be looking at you!" so so true.

I say give it a go! It probably won't be as bad as you think and once you get in the zone, they will be ZONED OUT! I dreaded it but I am too busy trying not to fall off the treadmill to notice what others are doing.

If you are not sure right now, why not try a home video , every one raves about 30ds.

Good luck you will do it!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and go.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Girl, don't nobody care. They're all too busy focusing on their own workouts. Just go, and know that the first day you go back is the first step in feeling secure and comfortable again in your own skin. Pop in those earbuds and get to work. You can do this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Trust me, there are a lot of people at the gym in far worse condition than you...and good for them.
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Most people are so engrossed in their workouts that they don't even notice anyone around them - so even though it may feel like it, honestly no-one is looking at you.

The first time will be hard. The second will be easier, and from your third visit onwards, you won't even remember to feel self-conscious.

Enjoy all the benefits you will get from exercise :)

so tru!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Don't be ridiculous...I've yet to walk into any gym where EVERYONE is young, hot and in great shape. Go in like a boss, and own it!

There's nothing to be afraid of :noway:

:drinker:
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My wife used to be intimidated by going to the gym. Until I broke it to her that no one is focused on her. No one is asking why she is here. And no offense I told her...but no one cares. The gym is all about you. It's about what you are doing. And yeah - someone may interact with you but they are there for the same reason you are. If they are a "skinny mini" they want to stay that way. If they aren't...well they are trying to get that way.

You got to get over yourself to become a better you. :) Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I get that, but if it's something you want, you gotta go for it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You've clearly never been to the Gold's gym that used to be down from my house. It was the local hangout for all the hardcore hardbodies. Since I wasn't, it was a bit intimidating at first. But, what everyone else says is true - they're all so interested in checking their form, etc in the mirror they're not paying any attention to you :)

They did pay attention to one woman - an around 5'2" professional body builder that curled heavier weights than the guys. SHE, they watched. I think they were trying to get tips.
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was too. I don't like not knowing my way around all the machines, etc and felt like I would look 'stupid'...I paid for two months of a gym membership before actually setting foot in the gym. The first time in is always the hardest. The second time is much easier and by the third time, you will already be developing a routine. Take the leap - you'll be fine!
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! And all power to you!

I used to go to a gym that was full of steroid monkeys flexing in front of the mirror. I pushed my way in between them. I thought if they have a problem with a fat, over 50 female, that is their problem not mine.

If you want some good exercise, put your baby in a stroller and go for a walk! Baby will get fresh air and you'll get slim!!

Good luck on your journey!!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way and would hardly go, but then I started meeting some great people and found out that the majority of people at the gym are really supportive and non-judge mental. If you go in with a negative attitude, you'll scare off others, but if you're friendly and open, you will meet some great people. I made some great friends at the gym with the very people I thought were judging me.
  • lkweber21
    lkweber21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I see very large people at the gym, I always think "good for them at least they are here doing something!"
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    Honestly, every time someone who's in bad shape shows up at my gym it adds to my overall happiness. The only ones who care about what you look like are the ones secretly rooting for you, who are stoked one more person decided to take charge and start working out.

Don't let yourself get in the way, just get in there and start sweating!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Lol, people go to a gym to GET IN SHAPE and STAY IN SHAPE. That's the one common that everyone there has.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Anyone else in the same boat?
    I used to love going, I went almost everyday and it felt great - but I was slimmer then.
    Now, I've had a baby and I'm ashamed of how I look, it doesn't help that my self esteem is at an all time zero. I know going will make me feel better but I don't really know what I'm scared of :S

Lots of people are scared to work out in front of people that they think look better than them.

That means, lots of people are scared of YOU, too.
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound harsh, but it is a lesson I had to learn.

Ain't nobody looking at you. Everyone is so focused on themselves and their workout that while they may appear to be looking at you they really aren't. Go in there, work your booty off and feel proud of yourself.

^^^ THIS IS VERY TRUE

and btw, the part about losing weight so you can go to the gym reminds me of cleaning the house before the cleaning "lady" gets there....
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Do you have an option to work with a trainer for a few sessions? I found that someone showing me good form, what the machines do, etc.. made me much more confident.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I felt like that after having both my kids, but I just went, put my headphones in, and got on with it. No-one even looks at you.