sad day

Options
So I have ONLY lose 9 pounds for the biggest loser competition. The woman I work with that need to lose less have lost more than me. Than an officer comes in today who I considered a friend but now I just don't know made a comment about another woman I work with. I actually weigh more than her and he made the comment it looks like she has put on weight and that is she doesn't lose the weight she is gonna die. Now I realize that is a possiblity but the guy I know wouldn't of said that. Of course we get into it because without him realizing it he hurt my feelings and made me feel horrible. So of course I start to cry. I just don't know what to do anymore. I needed to lose around 80lbs to even have a shot at winning and I only have 9 weeks left that is over 7 pounds each week I am under calories and I am working out two times a day about 45 minutes each time. Any suggestions would be gladly accepted. I am also gonna make my diary public so everyone can look at it. If you have any suggestions just message me.

Replies

• thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    If you are going to do this and be successful at it, you need to not do it for anyone else but yourself. If this is something that you want for yourself, then forget about what everyone else is doing or saying. Don't let yourself get down because someone said something insensitive. Turn it into a positive and keep working hard. It's not about winning a contest, but about feeling good about your progress and what you've done to make your life healthier and happier. Don't give up!!!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your friend was being insensitive. Sometimes people just don't realize the things that come out of their mouth can affect others.

As for suggestions...you have to remember that losing weight and getting healthy is to make your entire LIFE better. If you win the contest, great. If not, SO WHAT. Staying on track and making a lifestyle change is going to benefit you so much more than some prize you win at a biggest loser contest. As long as you are doing your best, don't stress about the small stuff.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My suggestion are to eat most of your exercise calories and cut down on the sodium intake. With working out more you have to convince your body that it can let go of the fat. To do so you have to eat enough that your body feels it will get the energy it needs. The sodium will increase water retention and will make you retain more weight.

Good Luck.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but .... I would say apart from doing what they do on the Biggest Loser ranch - eating 1200 calories/day and exercising 6-8 hours a day, 7lbs a week is highly unlikely.

Im 325lbs and I would LOVE to lose 7lbs a week but I know it's not gonna happen.

PS...The greatest thing you'll be winning is the battle against this in the long run. So you dont win the BL contest at work. What have you really lost? I think you're gaining a lot more than anyone losing fast. You're gaining what it takes to keep the weight off permanently. Losing weight fast almost guarantees gaining it back IMO.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I only looked at a few and your sodium was WAY TOO HIGH! Stay away from fast food even if you are meeting your calorie goal you are going way over in most other categories. If you see red, it's not good.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    9 pounds is alot to be proud of! i cant wait to lost my first 9.

I looked at your food diary a little and while im no professional by any means, if i could make a suggestion, cut the cheese, switch to egg whites, and cut the salt!! i noticed that youre way over your sodium limit most days!!

keep your head up! you can do this!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the comments on here. You appear to be eating way too much salt! Try drinking some more water. And Relax! This is a lifestyle change and unfortunately it isn't going to happen fast. It took a long time to put the weight on, and it will take a long time to take it back off. I know you want to win the contest, but it is better to win the challenge of healthy eating and keep it.
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi. You look great! Start your day off saying positive things about yourself! You have your arms, legs, eyes, nose, ears....ENJOY what you can do with your body! Enjoy who you are! Then, go out and get involved with things you love to do...find a dancing studio (I loved when Jillian found that dance place for the lady and her daughter in "Losing it with Jillian"...they had so much FUN and burned calories, too). Go hiking, walking, etc. These things keep the stress level down (stress keeps the pounds on) and lets you enjoy the outdoors as well as workout!
    Bring friends along side of you! Bring your co-workers to challenge you while you challenge them!
    CELEBRATE the small victories! You've lost 31 freaking pounds...that's the size of a 3 year old! You've done so well! And you know you'll keep doing well BECAUSE YOU'RE WORTH IT! :o)
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I'm sorry you had a bad day :( people can be so oblivious sometimes...I took a look at your diary, hoping to be able to give you some kind of advice...I came up with a couple things you could at least try...You might have the same problem as I do...because to me it looks like you are doing so awesome, but you may not be getting ENOUGH calories in your day. If I don't eat enough, my weight doesn't budge at all and I will actually put on weight, so I had to find a good balance to make the weight start coming off. I recommend maybe eating a couple handfuls of almonds a day, they are great protien and actually are super healthy and help with weight loss. Also, I noticed you have a lot of sodium in your diet, that can cause some crazy water retention. I'd try to lower that and drink all your water for the day, that should flush out your system and get your body going. Water is a fuel that helps everything in your body work correctly! Keep at it! I think you are on the right track! Don't get discouraged and remember who you are doing this for! Wonderful you!
  • bcrist
    bcrist Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Drinking your daily water amount really does help also. Good Luck!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cheer up dear one! 9 lbs lost is a wonderful start....you are almost in double digits! Yay! The Biggest Loser Contest is not the all and all. You are doing this for YOU!!!! And you deserve it. I am proud of your double workouts and your daily commitment to logging all cals! That is dedication.

I started my weightloss journey a couple of years ago with the same kind of contest at work. I won one 4 week round and that was it. But, it got me started on this journey and now I am 11 pounds from my goal! I had a slight relapse last fall but found MFP in December and got right back on track. I am the winner of the SLOWEST LOSER contest! Ha! :laugh: Oh well, I am in this for the long haul too! I am not dieting....I have changed the way I eat......and it is pretty healthy!

Making your diary visible is a good move....you will inspire others and feel even more motivated to keep yourself on track. Keep up the great job and just ignore mean people who make rude comments. It just shows a lack of character on their part. Those comments do not define who you are. You are a lovely person who is trying to look and feel your best to enjoy this life journey. I respect that!:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Ok, I haven't looked at your food log, but just some general tips-

Oatmeal is a good breakfast, coupled with a piece of toast it will stick with you longer than most other foods

Lean Cuisines are great quick lunches excellent portion control

for your snacks make those your fruits or veggies- celery is my favorite but not everyone is crazy like me and likes plain celery

Edy's Natural Fruit bars- 80 cals excellent for filling a sweet too/ 25 cals for the popsciles not to high in sugar sweented with splenda, and made from real fruit
    Try switching up your work outs- try a local crossfit (Google crossfit) it cost money not to much though and really helps you get your body into shape, its for people who are severely out of shape and for people in the best shape like the marine corps and seals- its a great support system. Most crossfits have a 1 week trial period that is free you can try it out and see if you like it or not.

Now, as far as winning the biggest looser- things like that are meant to motivate you to encourage you to do more, but it seems as if its only making it harder for you- You have to do what works for you if being part of the biggest looser only makes you doubt yourself then pay no attention to it, set for your self for intensity duration duration during your work outs. As long as your workouts are improving getting harder, you will continue to loose weight. MOST importantly you have to stay positive, when you get sad depressed down, your body also begins to hold on to weight its a coping mechanism. Don't give up YOU CAN DO IT.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Me again! Just checked out your food diary...I think I would add more fresh fruits and veges. Try to eat a fresh fruit for breakfast and on your am and pm snacks. Salads with low fat dressing are yummy with lunch or dinner. This will add fiber and fill you up....and make your skin glow! :blushing:

AND....I think it says wonders about you that you are a dispatcher....you are a link to someone's rescue.....now that is an angel on earth! muuuuuuah! Good job! :happy:
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Don't be sad. Remember that it's not about the contest. It should be about your life. Most of the people that participate in the Biggest Loser competitions at my office are the same people every year. And what I mean by that is that every year they lost 20-40 lbs. And every year they need to lose that same weight all over again. Dropping it quick just to win a competition won't change your lifestyle forever, which is what we all need - a healthy lifestyle.

That said, I checked out your diary and it looks like you finish every day with over 1,000 calories extra! EAT!

I know it seems incredibly ironic and ridiculous, but I jumped into my office competition and ate WAY too little at first with an "I'm gonna win!" mindset. My loss lasted for about a week and then died. Completely. I wasn't eating enough. Not by a long shot.

Try and eat some of those exercise calories. You have to fuel your body or it freaks out. I'm honestly a little surprised that you are not too exhausted to maintain the workout schedule you have on that little food. I bet eating more would help your energy level a lot and no doubt your mood.

Also, I bet if you ditched that high sodium intake you'd watch a few pounds fall off just from water retention. And besides your weight on the scale, the lower sodium is so much better for your general health. But personally, I can hold on to between 3-5 pounds just from having that much sodium for a couple of days.

Remember, it's the long term that counts. If you continue to lose weight successfully, in the end you will be the winner no matter what. Faster isn't always better.
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,610 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. I think you're starving your body of the calories and nutrients that it needs. Your body is resisting losing weight because too few calories are coming in compared to the amount of calories being used up in your exercise. I know that we hear this all the time: that losing weight is a matter of eating less and exercising more. It's not true. Losing weight is a matter of balancing how much and what you eat with how much you move.

You are eating a lot of processed foods which is why your sodium levels are way too high. You need to eat more fresh vegetables and fruit. If you don't have time to cook then start out with carrot sticks, apples, bananas, radishes, oranges, strawberries and so on. Start eating those now so that you get more nutrients in your body right away. You've got plenty of extra calories to eat and fresh food will fill you up so that you feel better.

Losing weight takes patience because it takes time. Spend some time reading the comments on this site by people who have lost hundreds of pounds. They all did it slowly over time by eating well.

You will too! Anyone who has the will power and determination to exercise the way you are, to commit so deeply to your goals the way you have, can do it. Be good to yourself, take care of yourself.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Let me begin with saying well done. It's not that you've ONLY lost 9lb, it's that you HAVE lost 9 whole lbs. I know that people can be hurtful and very insensitive :flowerforyou: at times but you must try to stay focused and remember why you have decided to change your life and improve hour health and well being.

I am by no means an expert so I am just sharing with you what I've learned since I started my journey. I looked at your food diary and it appears that you are eating too much fast food. Staying within your calorie limit is great but what you eat is also important - a calorie is not just a calorie. Just think, if you consumed your day's calorie allowance by eating chocolates and cookies do you think that would get you the results you want? I think not.:smile:

Try to prepare your meals each night for the day ahead - I do bulk cooking on Sundays and freeze my balanced healthy meals for the week so I always have the right foods available.

Your diary shows that you somtimes miss breakfast (I think it may be to do with your working pattern as your profile says that you're a 911 dispatcher) but if it's not due to this then be sure to have a good breakfast, it gets your metabolism going for the day.

Try to eat little and often, roughly very 3 hrs. (be sure the include lean protein each time you eat)

Drink at least 3 litres of water everyday.

I know this is a lot to take on but I'm sure these things will help. I say this because due to a medical condition I recently put on about 12lb even though I was eating right and exercising like crazy. Putting the things above in place was the only thing that broke the cycle of weight gain for me.

Please stay positive and be proud of your achievement so far.

You will do this and you will achieve your goal.:smile:
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Be very proud of your weight loss!! I'm very proud of you.. Sometime's a friend will say something about someone else and didn't think about you feeling bad for yourself as they sometime's don't see you in that catagory.. Use this as a learning experience and move on.. Making your food public is good and make sure you don't starve yourself.. This happens to lots of people who so badley want to lose lots of weight. They eat as little calories as possible and find out they don't lose weight. The body goes into starvation mode..You must eat to lose.. I wish you luck and go along with the challange but do it for YOU!!!! That's what is important.. The winner isn't the one who lose's the most it's the person who made the lifestyle changes and keep's it off...And is very proud of the accomplishment!!
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hang in there I did notice on your diary that you eat pre-marinated meat you may want to make your own marinade or use low sodium seasonings, also stay away from prepackaged food or fast food...In moderation is better. The other thing I noticed is you are not drinking enough water...make sure you do that. You'll be ok just make your life change and don't worry about winning a challenge. In the end this is for you not them.
  • SarahAlt
    SarahAlt Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm so sorry you had a rough day. I took a look at your food diary to see if there was any extra advice I could offer. It looks like to me that you might be skipping meals and eating irregularly. And it looks like you don't eat a whole lot of leafy green vegetables or fruits. Staying under your calorie goal is one thing but eating a balanced, healthy diet is quite another. I've lost 18lbs by following a few simple rules: Eating most of my calories allotted for the day including my exercise calories. Ensuring that I eat at least one serving of fruits or vegetables with every meal with the exception of breakfast because i usually eat a bowl of cereal as I run out the door (my mother always said the more colorful your plate is the healthier it is except if you're eating fruity pebbles). And while I don't shop at Whole Foods or whatever, I try not to eat foods that are highly processed. If I have to I try to throw in extra vegetables and drink more water. Also, I try to eat a small meal or a snack every three hours (hard to do for a busy working mom, so I just try to eat mindfully when I'm hungry)... I'm told this keeps your body from going in to "starvation mode" and keeps up your metabolism.

But keep this in mind. 9 whole lbs is nothing to sneeze at. That is a huge and wonderful accomplishment. And it doesn't matter how fast you try to change your lifestyle, what matters is that you are trying to live better. Be proud of yourself for your committment and the change syou have made like working out and paying attention to what you eat. Enjoy what you're doing and keep up the good work!
  • futuredispatchhottie911
    Options
    I am drinking water I just don't put it in there that is all I drink actually. I drank over 3 liters yesterday.
    Hang in there I did notice on your diary that you eat pre-marinated meat..you may want to make your own marinade or use low sodium seasonings. That is one thing I noticed the other is you are not drinking water...make sure you do that. You'll be ok just make your life change and don't worry about winning a challenge. In the end this is for you not them.