Healthy take on pizza!

Options
01c894a4-3a9f-4a82-80b1-b84b91e6bf7f_zps8000b2b6.jpg

949e4395-f57f-473d-8f06-ab43143c5692_zps3b0b1fbe.jpg

Hey :D

I just thought I'd share my new favourite meal. It's mega easy to make, pretty healthy depending on the topping and so so so tasty!
I know that for a lot of my friends on here, pizza is a real downfall for them and I was craving pizza so badly but didn't want the calories. So I made this :D

All you need to do is roll out some puff pastry, top it with something of your choice and bake for about 10 minutes.

I roasted tomato, onion and peppers for about 10 minutes until cooked and yummy looking. In that time, I cooked a bit of spinach and some mushroom in an low cal oil spray thing. I put some sun dried tomato paste on the pastry leaving about 2cm on the sides, then added the tomato, onion, pepper, mushroom and spinach, and grated a tiny bit of cheese on. Put it in the oven at about 200 degrees for 10 minutes!

Hope that has inspired some of you :D

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    well certainly a step up from cauliflower crust "pizza"
  • JenJenER
    JenJenER Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy! And pizza!! For some reason, it's the only food I keep craving!! =)
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thankyou I will be making this,it looks very yummy x
  • whoolerymicki
    Options
    Awesome idea I have even tried it with whole wheat pita pockets laid flat..
    :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious. I just like using English muffins split in two personally.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Getting closer to pizza = vegetable (government issued equation) every day.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure how puff pastry is any "healthier" than a simple crust made of flour, water, salt, and yeast. Is it just that it's smaller and not totally covered in cheese?
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ACK! I rarely crave pizza until somebody MENTIONS pizza, and then it's all I can think about!

eta: That looks and sounds like a delicious idea...
  • netner
    netner Posts: 8
    Options
    I have found a 350 calorie, true calorie count, pizza that is super filing and its really tasty! I use Flatout Flat Pizza with Italian seasoning, homemade pizza sauce (very lightly used), 1 c. mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, and sliced tomato. Really yummy!

I just started using the Flatout product line. Aside from the cost, I am really liking it. It is soft and has alot of flavor. Nice alternative to cut calories when looking for real substance and taste.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious. I'd like to live in a world where puff pastry is considered "healthier" than pizza dough! :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have found a 350 calorie, true calorie count, pizza that is super filing and its really tasty! I use Flatout Flat Pizza with Italian seasoning, homemade pizza sauce (very lightly used), 1 c. mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, and sliced tomato. Really yummy!

I just started using the Flatout product line. Aside from the cost, I am really liking it. It is soft and has alot of flavor. Nice alternative to cut calories when looking for real substance and taste.

Do you roll it up? I use Flat Out wraps for, well, wraps a lot but I wouldn't they they would be sturdy enough to support pizza toppings.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure how puff pastry is any "healthier" than a simple crust made of flour, water, salt, and yeast. Is it just that it's smaller and not totally covered in cheese?

I'm wondering the same thing. I always thought puff pastry was made with lots of butter? Maybe I'm wrong though.
  • 999peanut
    999peanut Posts: 14
    Options
    am I missing something here?

Puff pastry, contains lots of fat, by changing the crust to this and removing the cheese there will be no difference, other than portion size... much better to use a pizza crust of flour, water, yeast, small sized with a home made tomato sauce and veg toppings.. a small amount of cheese on top if you want to ..

i even make pies which we love using a pizza crust to avoid the fat in the pastry..
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    This. While i used to do puff pasty pizz years ago i don't think they are any healthier.
    You could always try a wrap or slice of bread as a base if u want something different.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    bleh too much effort.

i just get a slice of bread
    turkey pepperoni(tastes about the same to me)
    2% cheese
    tomato sauce

put it in the minioven
    done
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options

I'm wondering the same thing. I always thought puff pastry was made with lots of butter? Maybe I'm wrong though.

Actually, it's difficult to find puff pastry that contains butter. Most puff pastry on the market is primarily palm oil. lol
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bleh too much effort.

2% cheese
    tomato sauce

put it in the minioven
    done

culinary king...and your right about the pepperoni. I actually prefer turkey because it doesnt have the gristle bits that real does.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Puff pastry is a LOT worse for you than plain pizza base.

I had a large goats cheese pizza on saturday. It came to just under 500 cals. The homemade base was 300- rolled superthin (which is how I like it) topped with passata, 2 slices parma ham, 40g goats cheese. Fresh basil. Serves with a salad with no dressing.

Lovely
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    bleh too much effort.

2% cheese
    tomato sauce

put it in the minioven
    done

culinary king...and your right about the pepperoni. I actually prefer turkey because it doesnt have the gristle bits that real does.

Its probably cause its the cheap kind, but the town I go to school I am not counting on any amazing pepperoni being found