Scared to go to the gym :(

Options

Replies

• ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everyone is in their own zone....No one is going to judge you :)
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Don't be SCUUUUUUUUUUUURD!!!!!!!!
    Walk in there and OWN IT!
    Excuses don't get you Results!!!!
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You got this. The gym, sites like this, they are all there for people to come together to celebrate working out. I guarantee, the only reason someone might not want you to be there is because you're on their favorite machine or something.

The only time I've had people pay attention to me was to help my form on a work out, but that was a university gym when I was a student athlete and it was another athlete giving me a few tips. I felt a little self-conscious but he was very well meaning and friendly about it. I also want to say I was the largest person my whole team, and the largest female student athlete in the school.

Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't be ridiculous...I've yet to walk into any gym where EVERYONE is young, hot and in great shape. Go in like a boss, and own it!

There's nothing to be afraid of :noway:

This.

Quit being a sissy.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Ain't nobody looking at you. Everyone is so focused on themselves and their workout that while they may appear to be looking at you they really aren't.

THIS!!!! Focus on what you need to do for yourself, and DO NOT worry about what anyone may be thinking or saying about you. The only time anyone pays attention to you is when you are using a piece of equipment that they want to use. LOL
  • Running_Tanya
    Running_Tanya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about the weight section of the gym. I really want to start lifting because I'm starting to get skinny fat. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself and can't afford a trainer to show me how to lift correctly. I attend group classes but they've dropped all of the Body Pump classes and kept just the Zumba.
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't notice anyone unless it's someone in particularly good shape, or really sexy, or both. ;)
    If I do notice an overweight person, I always feel a HUGE amount of respect for them because I have been through that struggle and felt afraid of the gym just as you do.
    I respect every single person in the gym because they are showing that they care about themselves.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm not the skinniest person in my gym, nor the fattest, and certainly don't have the biggest muscles. I look at anyone else in the gym, whether they are large, small, tall, short, etc, and I simply see someone who shares my desire to become healthier.

Virtually no one in the gym is looking down on anyone else because of how they look. Their focus is on their own fitness program and frankly, most of us are too busy trying to get our own body into shape to worry about what anyone else is doing or how they appear.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound harsh, but it is a lesson I had to learn.

Ain't nobody looking at you. Everyone is so focused on themselves and their workout that while they may appear to be looking at you they really aren't. Go in there, work your booty off and feel proud of yourself.

^^This.

As much as I like to think I'm the center of the universe, no one gives me a second glance at the gym. No one. And FWIW, I see a lot of different types at my gym. I guarantee you won't be the biggest one there.
  • cmcoll2
    cmcoll2 Posts: 5
    Options
    What other people think of you is none of your business, you do you and let them do them. In the end, your happiness is what really matters and you are the one that has to live with your decisions, not the rest of the world. I am in the gym everyday I am 43 and weigh over 200, but I'm there for me and my kids and I act like I own the place. I actually chuckle inside myself at the people who are all dolled up and don't sweat a drop... at least I work my butt off!!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I used to be that way.

Now I take some sick joy in the fact that, even at 275 pounds, I stay longer than 99% of the smaller people that come in, and I work my butt off.
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    I used to be that way.

Now I take some sick joy in the fact that, even at 275 pounds, I stay longer than 99% of the smaller people that come in, and I work my butt off.

Yessss!!! Lift heavy things, eat well and you'll start looking awesome! Thing is, by being heavy, you have an advantage in the lifting department as you're already set up for optimal muscle building :) Use it!
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Aww - don't be scared! I agree with the others that people really don't care or notice others at the gym (except for the girls wearing only sportsbras, i'm sure the guys notice them :laugh: )

But seriously - even if people do notice you they are probably thinking "wow, good for her for getting out here and getting healthy!" At least, that's what I think :flowerforyou:
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can probably count the number of folks who will judge you for your appearance at a (good, reputable) gym with the fingers on one hand. You can definitely ignore the number of folks who do so with any number of fingers you like.

This is true. I have come to truly love and enjoy working out at my local gym, even when my workout buddy can't make it. I go in the fairly early morning before work (around 6:30 or 7am), so there are a lot of older people there, some earlier retirees. There are also younger people there like myself, but most everyone is pretty friendly and keeps doing their own thing. The gym employees are very welcoming too.

However, I was doing my workout at home last Friday and I have not suffered such levels of judgment in a loooong time. My husband and I have four cats and at least two of them were out-and-out staring at me, unashamedly, while I was trying to do lunges and calf raises. They were looking at me like I was some special kind of crazy. Then they licked their butts! IN FRONT OF ME! I will take the gym over that any day. ;)
  • slaura14
    slaura14 Posts: 1
    Options
    The thing is, the people at the gym who you think might be "judging you" were in the same place you are when they first started!
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound harsh, but it is a lesson I had to learn.

Ain't nobody looking at you. Everyone is so focused on themselves and their workout that while they may appear to be looking at you they really aren't. Go in there, work your booty off and feel proud of yourself.

^^^ THIS ^^^
  • cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way I have a 24 hour gym so I would go when I knw only a few people would be there ! lol but I started going a bit earlier now when its packed and its actually nice! and dont be afraid of people judging you, just think that they are there for the same exact reason!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I AM A GYM HATER.
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In my own experience, as long as you're actually doing something and not wasting space (Like sitting on a weight bench just to chill.) then no one really cares. That said, there tends to be this air of "expertise" in gyms for me. I'll go in and feel like everyone else knows what they're doing and I don't; I start feeling really self-conscious that someone is going to come tell me I'm doing it wrong. That's more what keeps me away from it.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The single greatest gift you can give yourself is to stop caring what people think of you. They don't pay your bills or your paycheck...go in there like you own it babe...in my experience ( and I have lots I am an old bat) people won't give you a second thought beyond the ten seconds it takes to see you... they are too wrapped up in themselves. Honestly can you remember someone YOU saw a week ago and had NO interaction with? Go for it.. it is about you taking care of YOU and THATS the important part!