Calorie counts on this site

Options
So yesterday i added on my exercise (did 30 minutes on the elliptimill at the gym) and it said something like i burned 560 calories. That is way too high i believe. I am wondering what those numbers are based on?

I know it is more accurate to use the number on the machine itself, but i couldn't get it to input my weight...so that was way off as well. I think i have to start wearing my heart rate monitor again :)

Replies

• natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I totally don't trust the counters on website or machines, they are always way off of what my HRM says......................usually off by almost double!
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd invest in a HRM. I do Insanity and usually burn between 500-650 per 40min workout. These workouts are at a much high intensity than I would do on an ellipitcal and it says for 40 mins I'd burn 455...at the gym the machine tells me 250-300. I haven't used a HRM for the elliptical though. Calories burned are much higher on this website.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i think i'll have to use my heart rate monitor again :D I have one, just sad that i have to change the weight on it from 220 to 277 (sigh).
  • SilverRoxy
    SilverRoxy Posts: 64
    Options
    These posting answered my biggest question....which is how do I log certain workouts. I found a good workout in Women's Health but if you log all the strength in separately, it says you only burned a minimal amount of calories. But when you do it at an intense pace, I'm dying! I have to be burning more calories than that. I'm assuming I could pick a HRM at Wal Mart? Do you recommend any particular one?
  • kcbythec
    kcbythec Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi all,

New to FP but not to exercise. I use an HRM, I don't trust any other method since you input your weight height etc. A day without my HRM and it's very difficult to figure out how much you are burning.

I'm 56 years old, train with a trainer 2 hours per week and workout at least 5 times per week. I find since I've been logging I can get a pretty good idea of what 2 hours of a great workout will be and that is usually around 800 or so calories, and by that time I'm drenched. Doesn't matter whether I'm lifting weights, cardio intervals etc. seems to be average for me.

KCbytheC