C25K

Options
I have been on this program for 2 weeks and i am still on week 1 day 1. I cant seem to get my breathing regulated. After the first or second 60 sec run i am so winded that i am gasping for air. Is there a trick to this or is it something that i will have to figure out on my own?

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have been on this program for 2 weeks and i am still on week 1 day 1. I cant seem to get my breathing regulated. After the first or second 60 sec run i am so winded that i am gasping for air. Is there a trick to this or is it something that i will have to figure out on my own?

Slow down and take deep breaths. Mostly, slow down. You can work on speed later.
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I start week 4 tomorrow and I'm scared (have to run a whole 5 minutes). I actually hurt myself on week 3 because I was trying too hard. Focus on just getting through it. Don't push yourself to go fast. My plan is to complete it and then start over on day 1 to focus more on speed. But don't worry about it taking longer than planned. Go at a pace that makes you more comfortable.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You might want to slow down a little. Also, breathe to your steps. Two breaths in, two breaths out. It will get easier the more your run. To be honest, I never feel in my running groove until I have gone a mile. Most runners will agree that starting out, you will feel a little winded. It is nothing to get discouraged about. It takes time to build up a good running base. You will get there. Stick with it.
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying that I am not a runner. I started c25k a while back and I did what everyone else is saying...go slow and focus on your breathing. If you are going fast you are going to focus on not falling down and you will run out of breath. I "run" at 4.5 mph. Actually c25k doesnt say run, it says jog because until you can control your breathing that is what you should be doing. Now that I'm toward the end it says "jog for 20 minutes or 2 miles"...yeah i cannot do a 10 minute mile (6 mph) so i just go along at my 4.5 for my 20 minutes and im damn proud of myself.
  • breajohnson
    breajohnson Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will slow down and see what happens.
  • bring7
    bring7 Posts: 13
    Options
    [/quote]
    Slow down and take deep breaths. Mostly, slow down. You can work on speed later.
    [/quote]

I second this. Keep after it. It's worth it.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with everyone else. Slow down as slow as you need to go. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are jogging. If you cant, you are going too fast. You can pick up speed later when you get further into it but for now just focus on getting through the runs.
  • thenewmanda
    thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing, it took me a few months to get it down. I was NEVER a runner, and I used to struggle with asthma. I had to take it very slow in the beginning. Have you tried running outside? I learned that it was a little easier to go slower than on the treadmill.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I agree, slow down. When I started running my downfall was that I was running too fast and I would get winded immediately. Try to think of it as "jogging" rather than "running." Now I can run several miles at a time. Yeah it's slow but the fact is, I can do it. I'd much rather that than run fast but not be able to go for more than a couple minutes at a time.
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Hello,
    I agree with all the advice you have been given so far. I looked to see what was meant by jog and brisk walk, there was no set standard.

I know jog at 7.5kmph (4.66mph) and my brisk walk is 5kmph (3.1mph) also if you start feeling knackerd or out of breath just slow down then raise the speed again...the idea is to try and not stop as this will build up your cardio, breathing etc etc and you will be amazed if you can get past the first week how easier it gets.

Today I completed W7D1 and thats 5mins brisk walk then 25minutes jog...thats twice this week I have completed a 25minute jog...I would never have done that 7 weeks ago....

If you need any other help let us know.

J
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Your jogging pace should be slow enough for you to hold a conversation with someone, but not sing. If you are getting to where you are out of breath each 60 sec period then you are going way to fast. When it comes to C25K, slow is the new fast. Work on speed later. Believe it or not, speed will increase naturally as you increase your mileage.

Your walk should be slow enough to recover, but fast enough that you are maintaining some effort. Basically, you don't want to go at a window shopping pace.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with everyone else. Slow down as slow as you need to go. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are jogging. If you cant, you are going too fast. You can pick up speed later when you get further into it but for now just focus on getting through the runs.

This^^^ Difficult to do since you want to push yourself. I actually step backed from just running (what I was doing) and started fresh with C10K to learn better form and increase endurance while decreasing recovery time. Best wishes....
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, slow down. I was pushing myself to do the 6 mph in the first few weeks, and I ended up stuck at week 3 until I allowed myself to slow down. Also, I highly recommend that if you are running this on a trail, pick one without hills! Seems obvious, but I made that mistake the first couple of weeks. I think I would have quit by now if I didn't switch over to a flat paved trail.
  • Susiemet
    Susiemet Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It wasn't that long ago that I decided to lace up my shoes and start the couch25K program. I figured it's just be another easy way to lose weight. YEAH RIGHT!! Easy my *kitten*. I thought, 60 seconds is nothing. Until my out of shape tub o lard butt tried running for 60 seconds, then it seemed like the longest min of my life. At the end I felt like I was about to die. But I still wanted to lose this weight, so the next day I laced up my shoes and killed myself all over again and again. It was not easy at all. I wanted to quit so many times, but I would just keep telling myself why I was doing this.

Now each and every time I get out there and run I surprise myself and I think back to the person I was not too long ago struggling with one min runs, I am now up to 45 min runs...45 MINUTE RUNS. I know I am not breaking records with that, but everytime I get out there I push myself to be better than I was last time. One thing that helped me a lot was breathing through my nose and NOT my mouth. Once I start breathing through my mouth my run goes down hill fast. I'm telling you this because I beleive everyone has the potential to be better than you were last time. Get out there and do your best!
  • FITmrsroe
    FITmrsroe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! i've been struggling with C25K too, this helps alot!
  • Laeira
    Laeira Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, and thank you people for the advice and posting the question. On topic: Do any of you need "accountability buddies"? Because I sure do, and I would very much like to add a few people as friends so we could motivate and check on each other.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I'll repeat what everyone else is saying... Slow down. I know that when I started running it was a struggle and I did give up for a while. The correct pace you should be shooting for when starting from "scratch" is a pace where you could comfortably carry out a conversation. Try for that and work up from there.

Remember that no matter how slow you run you're still running circles around those who are sitting on the couch doing nothing.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You can actually be on week one day 3. Since those are all the same.

Slow down like people have been saying. I can run incredibly slow when I have to.
    Also try taking smaller steps if you have to.

Speed can come after week 9. This right now is all about building endurance.
    In week 10 or 11 or so look up interval training.
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Breathing is the thing. That's just it. Personally, I find a good song to run to that sets my pace (last night it was "Sugar We're Going Down" by Fall Out Boy. Once my feet get in pace with the beat, I begin breathing properly. I do in through 4 steps, out through 3. that's just me. Also, see if you can find (if you can stand it) some Military Cadence Songs. They will definitely regulate your steps, because they're all pretty much the same regulated cadence speed.

Good luck! I'm on week 2, day 2.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yep....slow down. And, embrace the fact that learning a new skill is challenging. Hard cardio puts a strain on the body and being breathless is to be expected. However, being about to pass out or something means you're doing too much for your current level of fitness. Keep at it. . . you'll get there!!!

Edit for typo. . .to, too, two. . .they all look the same this early in the day! LOL