weight watchers

Options
Hi just wanted to know if anyone has done weight watchers and still being able to use mfp with tracking food ? I have joined ww because of the extra support and in need of motivation I have 56pounds to lose if anyone else has a similar please add me could do with extra help :)

Replies

• luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options
    I came from weight watchers to mfp and prefer mfp so much
    i only used the ww online stufff and actually it's the same, you are counting!

i also found myself cheating on myself a lot with the veggies and fruits and also betraying myself with the points (eg. drinking exactly 156 ml milk as this is still 1 pp and not 2 :D)

i've been having so much more succcess here, don't know if this reply helps u though :)
  • kirstyb393
    Options
    Yeah I was a weight watcher as well but this is much better and cheaper :-)

Good luck with your journeyx
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Went from WW to MFP a couple months ago and dont' regret it. And no you can't really do both simultaneously.

WW has "0 point foods" like fresh fruits and veggies that you eat all you want of.

But then if (WHEN) you stop losing weight, they say "well you're probably eating too many 0 point foods". WTF?
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm not knocking WW but I will tell you that I am very familiar with them and the only thing that I can say they have over MFP is that you get to go in person and it sort of makes you feel accountable. Knowing you are going to hit that scale each week is a great motivator when you know they are going to put a label in your book. So with that said, I am no help as I did not try to do points and then try to use MFP. I would use MFP's database and this system over counting points any day. You can still go to WW for the support and even the ideas and education but do yourself a favor and get used to plugging your foods into MFP.

Just my personal opinion but I really strongly believe it.
  • _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    I went to WW too. No contest MFP wins hands down. More support here too and you can't complain about the price. :flowerforyou:
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have done ww and i lost about a stone, but i found it too expensive and all they seem to do is promote their products .
    I am getting on so well mfp and being able to log food and exercise each day motivates me and i enjoy seeing the results
    . I have the support of my son who has lost 5.5 stones using mfp so he encourages me and he is maintaining now so we go
    for walks and if i need any tips i ask him . I don't know if this has helped you either, but from someone who has done ww, i
    have to say mfp is better for me , it does the same thing and its FREE :laugh:

good luck
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I follow the WW propoints plan (UK version) but going it alone this time instead of going to a class. I bought an app for my phone which cost £1.49 and log my points in that and also log my food on MFP to see the breakdown more clearly. It's only my first week back at it but I'm finding it interesting using them both together.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I came from weight watchers to mfp and prefer mfp so much
    i only used the ww online stufff and actually it's the same, you are counting!

i also found myself cheating on myself a lot with the veggies and fruits and also betraying myself with the points (eg. drinking exactly 156 ml milk as this is still 1 pp and not 2 :D)

i've been having so much more succcess here, don't know if this reply helps u though :)

I used to do the same thing! I was an expert at having the top limit of what was one point, and not going over to two. Plus the 0 point food led me to either eat it to the detriment of other foods, or not actually be accountable for what I was really eating.
  • Lishia1283
    Lishia1283 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing WW and MFP and after reading the previous posts on here, I'm starting to wonder if I should keep doing WW. I've noticed that when I do both plans consecutively, I really short change myself on MFP. The reason being, WW gives you 26 points to use for the day. So if I meet that goal each day and then compare that to what I have on MFP (including exercise calories, believe me they count too), I'm in a HUGE deficit. For example, yesterday, I actually went over a point or two for the day on WW but on MFP I was way under my calorie goal by like 400+ points!!! Now by no means am I downing WW because I have had success with it before. But the thing about it is, the fruits and vegetables really add up. WW has them as 0 points but on MFP, it's a different story. It's pretty much like MFP is holding you accountable for those calories too. So all in all, I believe both of these programs work it just varies from person to person and what your preferences are.
  • jimbob2010
    Options
    hi
    i clerk at WW and get weighed but not counted points for weeks, i do the calorie count and losing better than counting points. just like going to group for the support x
  • monteymole
    Options
    Thankyou for all your comments im going give a try and see how it goes .:smile:
  • gabcaron
    gabcaron Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost the weight with WW and i'm now maintaining with MFP, perfect combination for me.

And I send you a request ;-)
  • monteymole
    Options
    That's great thanks :)
  • lumadances
    Options
    WW encourages you to lose weight by eating foods based on their point value. Foods that are more nutritious have a lower point value and you can eat more of them. Plus, you get the additional 25 points (or 35?) to spend on whatever you want.

MFP you are still counting, but calories. If you want to ration off a piece of cake and a few glasses of wine on a weekend, it's just as easy to include the counts in your calorie count.

Personally, I loved going to meetings, but I couldn't afford the monthly cost and switched to online only - but I found their online community lacking. I love mfp. It's free!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My friend was a ww rep so i went to two meetings to give her moral support. My sister joined up but i didn't. This was well over a year ago. Neither of us bothered going to many meetings, my sister signed up purely to get some information.

I started MFP last feb, and have now lost 74lbs. My head wasn't in it at ww, i didn't really want to do it, though i knew i should. When i saw MFP results for a friend i thought i'd give it a go and haven't looked back since.

I do eat alot of ww food though tbf. I like some of the ready meals which are perfect for when i'm at work, as i work shifts and can warm them at work.

Good luck to you either way!x
  • monteymole
    Options
    Thanks either way im going to lose this 56pounds ill keep you posted :smile:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I like WW etools much better than MFP. I lose better with WW as well and find WW much easier to stick with. I just restarted a few weeks ago and have lost about 10 lbs.
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    I love their frozen food range, both the meals and desserts are delicious and very filling
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I went to WW on and off for decades and even worked for them a couple of times and I never felt like I really had support there. I get more here for free. Plus MFP teaches you a lot more about what nutrition is.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I go to Weight Watchers meeting and get weighted, but I use MFP to actually track my calories. Weight Watchers was the thing I needed to kick start my weight again and also my weights are so unreliable. If its for pure support I think the meetings are really good, but if its for the programme (as in the calories they give you) Id say MFP is better as you can over eat fruit (I do :P)