Suggestions on an effective (read: tasty) protein powder?

Options
I'm going to start lifting heavy this weekend and I need suggestions on good protein powder.

I need it for:

1. The protein
2. The calories

Oh and also one that preferrably doesn't taste like chalk would be great

Replies

• akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat whole foods over fake protein powders, but in emergencies I have used Jay Robb's whey in chocolate. Tastes like regular chocolate milk when mixed with milk ( I used almond milk), has low sugar, and very little, if none of the heavy metals you see in most protein powders. My one requirement was that it had to taste good, and that's the only one I've found that does besides muscle milk, but muscle milk has an overload of heavy metals so I avoid it.
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Dymatize: Elite Whey Protein Isolate - Chocolate Fudge, it's yummy :) High protein, low carb
  • JudithEssex
    JudithEssex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also like Jay Robb's. Expensive, but if I can't drink it, it's no cost savings! However,mostly i have to eat actual food. but once in a while I use it.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've heard Trutein is very tasty from some very smart folks on MFP.
    Mines in the mail so I can't testify yet, but I have high hopes for their chocolate peanut butter flavor.
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    Why not just eat foods high in protien? Those powders produce such a high blast of protien that it is hard for your kidneys to process it all. At least that's what my husband's nephrologist told him when he found out that his kidneys weren't functioning at 100%
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat foods high in protien? Those powders produce such a high blast of protien that it is hard for your kidneys to process it all. At least that's what my husband's nephrologist told him when he found out that his kidneys weren't functioning at 100%

Did he say anything about serving size or how often it's being consumed producing that effect on the kidney?
    I was looking at the macros for Trutein, and it was about 23-25 grams of protein a serving. That seems pretty in line with a normal serving of a whole food with accompaniments.

That's interesting, though. I am going to do some research on that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what NOT to buy. Genisoy Vanilla...I am trying to choke that nastiness down so I can try something else.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey- Double Chocolate
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like about time protein powder. No carbs or fat just isolated protein. It only has 4 ingredients and is sweetened with stevia.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey- Double Chocolate

This
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein: Banana Cream to me taste like banana pudding so I love it. 1 scoop: 24g protein 1g sugar 120cal
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We drink Syntha6 at home. Very tasty, and they've got flavors for every day of the week. Tastes good in smoothies too. We use it as a meal replacement for dinner. It also has 6 different proteins, so the body digests them at different rates.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Trutein. I have had several tubs of it now and have recommended it to several others that seems to love it as much as I do. I typically have one scoop a day. Have no issues with kidneys or anything else because of it. I also "cook" with mine rather than drink it but that's for different reasons. Either way you consume it, it should not effect your kidneys. Just do make sure you're still getting plenty of nutrients from whole foods and you'll be fine.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just found Vega One chai flavored. Pricey, but I don't have shakes every day. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever have shakes. This was just sitting out on an end cap and caught my eye because it is soy free. And it is chai!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    TRUTEIN!!! <--- I can't say enough about it!

I've tried DOZENS (literally) of protein powders throughout the years, and though some of them are packed with protein, they all had one thing in common: They tasted like *kitten*. My friend turned me on to Trutein. I'm addicted to the chocolate peanut butter flavor. Trutein is so damned good, I even bought the vanilla flavor at one time, which is a HUGE thing for me because I steer clear of vanilla protein powders because no matter what brand it is, the vanilla flavor always grossed me out and made me gag. I decided to try the Trutein vanilla sample pack, and was pleasantly surprised. It was a little on the sweet side, but I actually enjoyed it, which says a LOT.

I've also tried their Cinnabun flavor - super sweet as well, but tastes just like a cinnamon roll in a cup... just don't imagine that, cause that would be gross lmao

They have 24g of protein per serving, with 115cals. And it has three (3) diff types of protein, whey, casein and egg protein, so you can take it before, during and/or after your workout. I sometimes even have some before bedtime, it's like my dessert. Blend it up with some whole milk and ice cubes, tastes just like a chocolate peanut butter shake. My 5 year old even likes it, he asks for it daily, so I give him maybe 1/3 scoop w/ milk (of course I checked with the makers of it first - they said it was fine.)

I'm a total Trutein freak, I suggest you try it!
  • jahowell
    jahowell Posts: 67
    Options
    My favorite is Jay Robb Egg white protein powder-organic, no gmo, and stevia to sweeten, Best tasting so far, In the morning after workout I mix water or coconut water, jay robb, and a banana, sometimes some strawberries, with it, soooooo good!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Trutein. I have had several tubs of it now and have recommended it to several others that seems to love it as much as I do. I typically have one scoop a day. Have no issues with kidneys or anything else because of it. I also "cook" with mine rather than drink it but that's for different reasons. Either way you consume it, it should not effect your kidneys. Just do make sure you're still getting plenty of nutrients from whole foods and you'll be fine.

yep! she ^^^ got me into trutein, and i love it too! i also use about 1 scoop a day. it mixes well with a lot of things. mixing it with yogurt and eating it with fruit for a snack at work is my favorite! i eat it in smoothies with spinach and banana too. or mix it with frozen blended bananas and roasted coconut chips for "ice cream"! the trutein website offers samples, but they sell out of them REALLY fast. i checked pretty much every single day until they were available, then ordered a sample of each flavor and went nuts with fun experiments. the chocolate is my favorite!
  • Lbrobt
    Lbrobt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Designer Protein tastes good to me...no sugar no fat 116 calls per serving....and mixes well with cold liquid...chocolate and French vanilla are good but I prefer chocolate because I'm a chocolate fiend....also gold standard whey is good and ranked #1 on some health food site....watch for sales also...
  • birdgal
    birdgal Posts: 17
    Options
    Anyone have a list of ingredients for Trutein Protein powder? Any artificial sweetners or other additives?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    dymatize
    ON
    trutein
    are all good choices
    trutein gives me so much gas though. but i take alot of protein

If you take in casein vs whey it is the same amount of calories but much more filling