Beautiful Hispanic women of MFP!

Options
Hello all. I was not really sure where to post this so I just chose this section, because this would really help me out and be very supportive! I am doing a research paper for my Hispanic Marketing and Communications class and I was wondering if any of you would be able to answer a few questions for me. It would be so helpful and very very much appreciated.
If interested, my questions are:

1. Which, if any, weight loss programs have you attempted (i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.)?

2. What made you decide to use this program above all others?

2. Do you feel like you can relate to any of the spokespeople in the current commercials they have out for these programs (i.e. for Weight Watchers it is Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Hudson, Charles Barkley, for Jenny Craig it has been Valerie Bertinelli, Mariah Carey, Kirstie Alley, for Nutrisystem it has been Marie Osmond, etc.)?

3. Do you feel like the weight loss industry adequately markets to Hispanic women? Why or why not?

4. What is the biggest challenge for you when trying to lose/maintain weight?

5. What is your biggest reason for wanting to lose weight?

Lastly, please include your age! This will be completely anonymous and it is strictly for educational purposes. Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to help out a fellow My Fitness Pal-er!

Replies

• res119
    res119 Posts: 27
    Options
    Anyone? I would really really appreciate it!
  • RCANTU2013
    RCANTU2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1. Which, if any, weight loss programs have you attempted (i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.)?

None - I believe it's a mind over body control. exercise and eat right. easier said than done though...althougth I did try the 14 day Quick Trim last year to give me a boost with starting and loved it. I'm not huge on supplments like that though so i haven't done it again. I also can't afford to have "my" food with Nutrisystem for example. I need healthy alternatives for the whole family.

It's easy to use and has the food, plus workout info in one place. I like scanning the bars on the food as well as having it sync with other apps.

2. Do you feel like you can relate to any of the spokespeople in the current commercials they have out for these programs (i.e. for Weight Watchers it is Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Hudson, Charles Barkley, for Jenny Craig it has been Valerie Bertinelli, Mariah Carey, Kirstie Alley, for Nutrisystem it has been Marie Osmond, etc.)?

Yes, with Jessica Simpson, Kirstie Alley and Mariah Carey just b/c I've seen them yo-yo through the years and have body types close to mine. Seeing them through the years makes them more relatable I guess. Charles is funny, but not can't relate and Valerie B and Marie O are before my time. J Hudson is a great inspiration as well though.

3. Do you feel like the weight loss industry adequately markets to Hispanic women? Why or why not?

No. But do they market to black or asian? I'm not going to be pulled in b/c something is marketed as "hispanic". I'm a single mom w/ 2 kids, one a toddler and I work 2 jobs, so I'm going to relate to something easy, quick and can benefit the whole family rather than b/c something states hispanic. I don't think that the term hispanic really relates to one particular segment of the population. There are so many nationalaties and so many different "flavors" we come in. We are blue eyed and blond and dark skinned that would typically pass for black and every color and body type in between as well as full hispanic (whichever nationality) and 1/2 or 1/4. I do believe that a "hispanic" type product would do well given the population, but for myself in particular, I don't think I would lean towards it.

4. What is the biggest challenge for you when trying to lose/maintain weight? Time and energy.

5. What is your biggest reason for wanting to lose weight? Fit back in my clothes! as well as being healthier. I have bad knees, they run in the family and now that I'm a bit older I can feel it. I want to do my knees a favor and keep some weight off of them.

Lastly, please include your age! This will be completely anonymous and it is strictly for educational purposes. Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to help out a fellow My Fitness Pal-er!

Good luck!
  • res119
    Options
    Thank you SO much! Your answers were incredibly helpful. Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • janette41209
    janette41209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1. Which, if any, weight loss programs have you attempted (i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.)? none i also think its about deciding whether you're going to do it or not and not expect for some magic diet to lose the weight for you Im not saying it wont help but you have to choose to do it.

2. What made you decide to use this program above all others? I love how easy it is and you just got to be honest and do it not cheat yourself on the app or web on what you're really doing because if you dont you might not see results.

2. Do you feel like you can relate to any of the spokespeople in the current commercials they have out for these programs (i.e. for Weight Watchers it is Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Hudson, Charles Barkley, for Jenny Craig it has been Valerie Bertinelli, Mariah Carey, Kirstie Alley, for Nutrisystem it has been Marie Osmond, etc.)? probaby jessica jennifer and mariah because i had a baby n felt like i needed to lose the weight and get back to old me but i dont really watch tv so idk what their story behind it is. but i know im tired of being fat but just trying to do it without any programs.

If you mean do they speak more towards us then no not really but like rcantu2013 said it doesnt to anyone specific i think its just people that need to lose weight or want to.I dont think they do because if they did it would be some of each race for each program which i dont think there is ????
    4. What is the biggest challenge for you when trying to lose/maintain weight? Time and effort. I have the energy and the time but making the time you have in order to do what you want versus what you know you should be doing(workingout) is hard. I want to just go to sleep or sit and watch movies but i have to look at the time and take advantage of what i can be doing to get to my goal. n the effort is hard because i have a child and trying to do me and focus on her at the same time is hard. Im amazed at what other people can do that have more than 1 kid.
    I want to fit my old clothes and buy some cute new ones. I use to be happy in my body and be worry free now its like all i see is fat. I want to see me again.
    Lastly, please include your age! This will be completely anonymous and it is strictly for educational purposes.
    Im only 21 but doesnt matter what age we are we all have our reasons for wanting to lose or gain weight.
  • res119
    Options
    Time and effort. I have the energy and the time but making the time you have in order to do what you want versus what you know you should be doing(workingout) is hard. I want to just go to sleep or sit and watch movies but i have to look at the time and take advantage of what i can be doing to get to my goal.

Just on a personal note, I completely relate to this! The hardest part sometimes really is just forcing yourself to do it, and I struggle with that all the time.

I just need your age for research purposes. You're right, it really doesn't matter what age you are! I certainly know that :)

Thank you so much for your help and good luck with your weight loss journey as well!
  • sa110
    sa110 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm curious to hear more details about your paper...hope my answers help!

1.) I tried Weight Watchers for a couple months. I honestly was a little thrown off by the point system. I wanted to be able to look at a product's nutrition label and judge it for myself, not depend on an algorithm.

2.) I like this program because its straightforward and I enjoy being able to scan the bar codes.

3.) I enjoy seeing Jennifer Hudson's commercials because I feel genuinely happy for her weight loss, but I really don't relate to any of the people you listed.

4.) I don't think the industry markets specifically to Hispanic women, but like the ladies already mentioned before me, how would they? We are all so different culturally depending on our nationality. Frankly, if I saw a commercial that was blatantly targeting Hispanic women, I would wonder why they are trying to win over my attention by appealing to my ethnicity. It would make me feel like a target market/demographic. Why not just relate to me as a person wanting to lose weight?

5.) I want to feel strong, healthy, and sexy! I used to be proud of this body, I want that back!

Good luck with the paper! If you need more info, please let me know!
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options

None; I believe in eating the right amount of calories, no more.

No: I can't.

I'm not sure there should be a difference; we have the same metabolism as non-HIspanic women, right?

Not pigging out; getting enough exercise.

I want to look good in my clothes.
  • res119
    Options
    Hey, I'm curious to hear more details about your paper...hope my answers help!

Hi! My assignment is to create a marketing strategy for a product in order to make it appeal to the Hispanic consumer. Of course the term "Hispanic" is extremely broad which you have all been saying and I could not agree more, but unfortunately for research purposes and the nature of this class, it is what I have to work with! I hope I did not offend anyone by grouping you into such a broad category.

I chose Weight Watchers as my product because I wanted to choose something I could connect with, and being overweight and struggling to lose weight myself, I thought it would be perfect for me!

You all have proven one of my main points in my paper by saying it would seem strange if a product was marketed directly and blatantly to Hispanics, and that actually helps me a lot with my marketing strategy. So I really appreciate the detailed feedback. It is so helpful!

Thanks again so much for your help, and I will definitely let you know if I have any more questions!
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I was not really sure where to post this so I just chose this section, because this would really help me out and be very supportive! I am doing a research paper for my Hispanic Marketing and Communications class and I was wondering if any of you would be able to answer a few questions for me. It would be so helpful and very very much appreciated.
    If interested, my questions are:

I tried Curves @ 7 years ago, and did well, then lost interest in the program.

I was skeptical at first, then I realized it was easy and my weight started shifting in the right direction I said to self wow I will accomplish my goals of being healthy!

No, but havent thought about wether the person was hispanic or not.

No the market does not target the hispanic woman, at least I haven't seen any commercials or infomorcials with a latina as the spokesperson.

At first it was the exercise and food intake trying to balance the two.

1- To be a healthy person as I age. 2-be happy with what I see in the mirror.

Im 44 Good luck hope you do well.
  • BriDombrowsky
    Options
    1. Which, if any, weight loss programs have you attempted (i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.)? my own. weight watchers, any fad pretty much

2. What made you decide to use this program above all others? free and I have friends on here to support me

2. Do you feel like you can relate to any of the spokespeople in the current commercials they have out for these programs (i.e. for Weight Watchers it is Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Hudson, Charles Barkley, for Jenny Craig it has been Valerie Bertinelli, Mariah Carey, Kirstie Alley, for Nutrisystem it has been Marie Osmond, etc.)? NO and not just because of being Latina...I just dont feel like I can relate to people who can afford their own chef and trainer

3. Do you feel like the weight loss industry adequately markets to Hispanic women? Why or why not? not really we are a hard group..curves are celebrated in our culture..sticks don't appeal to most of us or our men.

4. What is the biggest challenge for you when trying to lose/maintain weight? Most of the food I love is loaded with carbs and fat

5. What is your biggest reason for wanting to lose weight? health

Lastly, please include your age! This will be completely anonymous and it is strictly for educational purposes. Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to help out a fellow My Fitness Pal-er! 30