Morning Workout...But when and what to eat for Breakfast?

Options
I have been working out in the mornings. I've just been running about 1.5 miles but this week I've stepped it up and added Julian's 30 day Shred after the run. I drink a glass of water before and after I workout and then eat a 90 cal granola bar for breakfast before I head to work...But I don't think it's enough for a post workout meal. It was workin' fine before I added in the 30DS but now I crash around 2 in the afternoon.

Any morning peeps out there with suggestions on what to eat? and should I be eating before I run or after?

OH!! and I'm looking for more active buddies! Add me! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I don't know about running on a full stomach I do the 30 DS at 7 am shower and then have like 2 sandwiches with milk
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I do 30DS in the morning when I first wake up. Then have something with protein, this morning I had egg whites, avocado & salsa in a spinach/herb wrap.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    None of this is scientific, it's just what I feel good eating. They are healthy choices, I just don't know if they are "optimum" before and after workout meals.

I eat 2-3 egg whites scrambled with a tablespoon of shredded cheese and a small piece of fruit or some berries before I work out (about 150 calories). After I work out I either eat oatmeal with berries, a homemade Egg McMuffin or a yogurt / fruit / nut / cereal mixture that I make (250-300 calories). From what I've read you need protein and carbs before and after your workout and you should try to eat 30-45 minutes before, if possible and pretty soon after. I eat about 30 minutes before and within an hour after.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I love working out first thing in the morning, just sets my day up for more win!!

I have a big glass of water and typically do 45 - 60 minutes of cardio/strength and then I have a protein shake while getting ready for work and then have a breakfast around 10 or 10:30.

I say, if you're hungry... eat! It doesn't have to be a big meal but try to get some protein within an hour of a good hard workout.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I usually workout somewhere between 11 am to 1pm, I generally eat 2 hours before doing so - I eat around 700-900 kcal meal so it is quite calorie packed but I feel good doing this as it replenishes your muscles from the overnight sleep as well as saturates your body with nutrients for the intense workout!

I have 2 medium size bread, 1-2eggs ,dairy lea cheese slice (1-2), some sort of Turkey steaks/fish fillets, 230ml milk with 25g whey protein..

I get around 57g protein in that sitting! :smokin:
  • joelann10
    joelann10 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I workout before work in the morning and I have a piece of toast before and then some protien afterwards like chicken breast or hard boiled eggs. It holds me over until lunch!
  • MsChrissyAnn
    MsChrissyAnn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes....May have to look into those... Once upon a time I tried the Slim Fast protein shakes :sick: NASTY!!!

My mornings go by pretty fast mainly because I truly love sleep and HATE waking up earlier than absolutely necessary. :laugh: That's one reason why my breakfast has been a grab-n-go bar! I'm up @ 5:40ish do about a 35-45 min workout (depending on how far I run) Shower, dress and am out of the house by 7:10am. Not really any time for food prep.

I'm thinking maybe a Banana before the workout, then a shake after...then save my yummy bars for a mid-morning snack. Still fast and easy yet getting me what I think I'm needing.

Any Shake suggestions?? ...I don't wanna bulk up at all, just trying to slim down...
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes....May have to look into those... Once upon a time I tried the Slim Fast protein shakes :sick: NASTY!!!

My mornings go by pretty fast mainly because I truly love sleep and HATE waking up earlier than absolutely necessary. :laugh: That's one reason why my breakfast has been a grab-n-go bar! I'm up @ 5:40ish do about a 35-45 min workout (depending on how far I run) Shower, dress and am out of the house by 7:10am. Not really any time for food prep.

I'm thinking maybe a Banana before the workout, then a shake after...then save my yummy bars for a mid-morning snack. Still fast and easy yet getting me what I think I'm needing.

Any Shake suggestions?? ...I don't wanna bulk up at all, just trying to slim down...

I like to mix an 80 calorie greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (15 kcal), 1 scoop of Eat Good. Look Great! vanilla whey protein powder (130 kcal), 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal and a couple of ice cubes.

Total calories: 255 Total Fat: 6g Total Carb: 18g Total Fiber: 3g Total Protein: 38g

You could throw in a small banana for about another 80 kcal
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I like to mix an 80 calorie greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (15 kcal), 1 scoop of Eat Good. Look Great! vanilla whey protein powder (130 kcal), 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal and a couple of ice cubes.

Total calories: 255 Total Fat: 6g Total Carb: 18g Total Fiber: 3g Total Protein: 38g

no, not those Slim Fast things.. like MrsGriffin posted, some protein powder and you add the ingredients. My fav is scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 1 tbsp of ground flax and a banana... no need to add ice if using frozen berries!
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I like to have a little something for energy a few minutes before I run (though with 1.5 miles it's not necessary) so I wake up with about half a banana, and then get some greek yogurt and berries with some granola sprinkled on top after I cool down & shower. Total I usually eat between 300 and 350 calories for breakfast.

I'm a breakfast person, though! I used to eat eggs every morning but lately I'm just sick of them, lol.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

no, not those Slim Fast things.. like MrsGriffin posted, some protein powder and you add the ingredients. My fav is scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 1 tbsp of ground flax and a banana... no need to add ice if using frozen berries!

Oh...I didn't think of buying frozen blueberries...GREAT IDEA! Now I'm gonna have to run back out to Kroger:noway:
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a big advocate for breakfast.

For me, personally when I work out in the morning I usually will have a banana and glass of water before my workout. Sometimes half a piece of toast with peanut butter, or a glass of milk instead.

I also am on maintenance, so not trying to lose weight anymore. But even when I was losing, I would always eat a regular breakfast including some good protein.

Within an hour or so of my workout I then have my "real" breakfast. This will be one of several different things. I often eat whole wheat toast (1-2 pieces) with either an egg or two egg whites (poached) and some cheese; or whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a little jelly; or oatmeal. I also always have another piece of fruit as well.

IMO - protein in the morning is super important and will help you make it past the 2:00 crash! You might also consider some more protein in your snacks througout the day, or around that time. A handful of nuts, a hard boiled egg, some greek yogurt. All of these things worked well for me while I was trying to lose. Helped me feel statisfied much longer.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    Fact: Your body needs energy to perform.

It's this simple. Cars don't go far without adequate gas. Planes don't fly without jet fuel. Why would our body "machine" operate without food fuel?
    Fueling up doesn't necessarily have to occur one hour before a morning workout -- it can take place the night before. a bedtime snack can help to fuel a morning workout. I heeded that advice on a recent trip to Chicago when I enjoyed a piece of deep-dish pizza before hitting the sack. When I awoke at the hotel the next morning, I had enough energy to endure an hour-long jog on the Chicago waterfront. I just needed to hydrate. I had a great jog and was ready for a recovery smoothie after a quick shower. Typically, I would not opt for this plan, but I was out-of-town and it worked for me. When I'm home, I typically fuel up before a workout with 16 ounces of water and some fruit or toast with peanut butter, varying the amount of food depending on the extent of my workout.
    Some people think that forgoing food before exercise is a smart "fat-burning" strategy. The rationale is that, with no other fuel available, the body has to burn fat. In reality, the body will use whatever energy is available. After an overnight fast, about 80 percent of stored carbohydrates have already been used. When you don't fuel your workout, your body will draw from whatever carbohydrates are left, as well as protein, possibly muscle, and fat to make up the difference.
  • MsChrissyAnn
    MsChrissyAnn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You guys all rock! :glasses:

I never thought of doing a scoop of protein w/ fruit and yogurt! ...My experience with protein is all from my beefed up BF and he just mixes it with water and chugs it. he's like :drinker: and i'm all :sick:

:flowerforyou: Thank you for all the comments and suggestions! I'll be adding a few things to my grocery list!
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Last year when I was Speed Walking 5k's everyday, I mixed up a protein shake 30 minutes before I started. Halfway thru I'd stop and drink a little water. It worked because I didn't feel full & yet I had the energy to finish it. Afterwards, plenty of water & munched on raw almonds (1 serving only). It worked for me then & hope with my new protein powder I recently purchased it works just as good if not better. Spring arrived late this year where I live so I'm biting at the bit to get Speed Walking again!!
  • Dominantia
    Options
    I think it's too less especially that you don't eat before. If you run and then do strenght & cardio (30DS) I think you should have a like 300 kcal meal or even more! It depends on you.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If I workout in the morning, I'll have water and maybe a banana depending on my mood before working out. Afterwards, I like making omlettes.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you feel like you need to eat more after your workout then do so.
    It is all a matter of opinion.
    You will hear some telling to you eat before and some will tell you to eat after.
    Do what suits YOU!