is water really that important for weight loss??

Options

Replies

• aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    i don't know about for weight loss but since i've started drinking 8 cups a day and more, my hair, nails, and skin have made radical change for the better! plus it helps you feel full longer
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the water we as humanity drink each day is less than 1% of the daily water consumption?
    Most of the water on this planet is used ( and wasted ) by industry.
    Also, research has shown that there are many people who do not recognize when they are thirsty and confuse the feeling with hunger. I think drinking when one feels thirsty is ok for some people , but not for most.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that it helps to flush your body out.

If you're making sure to get your daily fiber in (which is a good idea, since the fiber helps with weight loss and feeling full), the water helps it do its job. It gets that insoluble fiber through your system more efficiently, meaning less bloating and gasiness.

Also, one of the big things that makes the scale fluctuate is water retention. Drinking more water is one of the ways that you can reduce water retention (aside from reducing sodium). This makes sense when you consider that your body will hold onto water when you're dehydrated.

Most of the stuff that I just posted is stuff that I learned here on the forums and reading online articles combined with a little common sense.

In MY OWN personal experience:
    ~I lost 5 lbs by making the switch from pop and juices to mostly water alone, and was the first healthy lifestyle change that I made. Its a small step, but it makes a big difference.
    ~My dentist said that he noticed my teeth are a lot cleaner since I switched
    ~Not drinking all that extra acid and sugar has made my stomach less irritable and the water helped clean everything out. I feel a lot healthier than I did before.
    ~The water/fiber combo has noticeably made a difference in my weight loss. It helped push me through a couple weight stalls.

So yes, I would say that water is really important. You can probably lose the weight without doing the 8 c. water / day thing, but try to at least increase the amount that you're getting, even if its a single glass with each meal. Sorry for the long post. -.-;
  • pineneedles
    pineneedles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welli know water helps our bodies complete tasks more efficiently... Like air. Your body pretty much needs water for everything. Your body is mostly water. I find that drinking water and tea help me feel fuller or just more satisfied at times when I would maybe like to eat but shouldn't. They say we often mistake hunger for thirst, so I drink up first!
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i don't know about for weight loss but since i've started drinking 8 cups a day and more, my hair, nails, and skin have made radical change for the better! plus it helps you feel full longer

I've noticed this as well!! My nails used to take forever to grow and were really gross looking. Now they're starting to look healthy! (though, that may also be the fact that I've been more consistent with taking my multivitamins, lol) My skin is a lot clearer now too.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see someone lose weight and NOT drink water... see what gathers in the gut... you need it. your body is made of it.. drink it or die. :P

:D Good to meet you.

I don't force myself to consume anything I don't want to consume. What people forget is that food has water in it, too. I'll have a glass now and then, but really, if I'm not thirsty I don't drink it.

Edited because I wanna make sure everyone knows I'm not anti-water. It's good for you. I'm just saying for the majority of my weight loss I haven't had a lot of water...so obviously water does not equal weight loss, and a small amount of water does not equal no weight loss.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options

I've noticed this as well!! My nails used to take forever to grow and were really gross looking. Now they're starting to look healthy! (though, that may also be the fact that I've been more consistent with taking my multivitamins, lol) My skin is a lot clearer now too.

to each his own, but for myself, i love the effects of water. clear skin, moisturized skin, and a satiated feeling in my tummy. I love it! I was also a person who didn't like water, but now I feel really good.
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know the why's or how's behind it, but I do know that since I switched from diet sodas, crystal light, iced tea with sweetener, and switched to plain old iced water,I am losing more weight faster, I feel less hungry all the time, my hair, nails and skin are also much healthier, and I don't feel bloated all the time. I try to drink a gallon a day, although I don't always make it. I have a Bubba cup that holds 24 oz, and I try to drink and refill it every 2 hours while at work. Plus, I drink a cup with my pills in the morning. I do drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning as well. :)
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Water does NOT directly affect fat loss. It DOES affect weight loss in that, the amount that you retain from day to day can fluctuate thus affecting your weight. Water is the mayo of your sandwich, without it, everything gets stuck, dried out, and pretty crummy(crumbly :bigsmile: ). Anyway, it helps your body work more efficiently and in doing so, helps your metabolism, which directly affects the rate at which you will burn fat. Also it increases the amount of waste you secrete, getting rid of the toxins that might slow you down. Furthermore, it is needed to rebuild muscle. Muscle helps burn fat, and also helps in a small way.

Yeah water is ridiculomositistly important.
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Also, I used to HATE drinking water, and now I crave it... Like the other girl said, you will rarely find me without my bottle of water. I got a brita filter for my kitchen sink. Don't know how I ever lived without it!
  • froggerhkc
    froggerhkc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty. Drinking 8 cups a day is totally unnecessary/excessive and bad for the environment!

Seriously?

You NEED water, at least 8 glasses a day.

If you drink when you are thirsty, you have already started to dehydrate (especially as you get older).

We are made of water and it's important that we drink enough, EVERY DAY.
  • SRHelicity
    Options
    There is no proof that drinking lots of plain water helps weight loss.

God why the hell is everything related to weight loss a myth?! I've ran across more myths than cold hard facts while losing weight. This leads me to believe weight loss is a completely random and arbitrary phenomenon :)

Seriously though any care to counter the argument I quoted?

For what it's worth, confirmation bias seems to be massive in nutrition, dieting, and weight lifting "advice"/journalism/broscience on the internet. From Wiki:
    "Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. For example, in reading about current political issues, people usually prefer sources that affirm their existing attitudes. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations)."

I've learned a lot about nutrition and diets since I made the decision to drop fat and try to work on body recomposition, but it's been very difficult for me to learn much since one can, almost literally, find anything on the internet that confirms or refutes any diet "advice", guidelines, or "best practices". There is enough medical research and are enough studies that one can very easily cherry-pick the information he/she sees fit to fit one's "program" (see confirmation bias). Obviously, moderation is almost always the best method in these cases (eat a lot / eat a little, fast a long time / eat every 3-4 hours, do a lot of cardio / do no cardio, lift at 10-15 reps per set / lift at 4-5 reps per set, etc.), but there's also a "truth" out there that may or may not be extremely nuanced and complex. I've found a few folks whom I've come to refer for pretty objective, science-based observations for these topics (Alan Aragon, for example). Since I'm not an expert in this field, I will always end up having to refer and defer to others, which is tough since there's a lot of money being made with special diets, exercise routines, etc., that can very easily mask junk science and real science.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see someone lose weight and NOT drink water... see what gathers in the gut... you need it. your body is made of it.. drink it or die. :P

I probably only drink about a glass of actual water a day.

I drink diet soda, coffee, milk and eat food (which has water in it).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Water is important for hydration; hydration is important for nutrient absorption; nutrient absorption is important for overall health and well being. Suck it up and drink your water...I swear, first world problems are the most annoying.

25226545.jpg
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 litres a day. I really enjoy my first glass of water when I roll out of bed. It just seems to revive me and gives me a boost becuase Im probably dehydrated lol
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We are made from mostly water. It aids in most of our biological functions such as food absorption, waste elimination, air conditioning (sweat). Every physical fitness, athletic and health site, book, magazine, I've seen recommends drinking enough water.

My experience is that I drink it constantly all day long. When I'm hydrated I feel energetic and powered up. Since I workout regularly, my body needs more than the rule of thumb eight glasses. Bottom line: I drink it. I feel good :drinker:
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Water is important for hydration; hydration is important for nutrient absorption; nutrient absorption is important for overall health and well being. Suck it up and drink your water...I swear, first world problems are the most annoying.

25226545.jpg

Very good point!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    if your pee is clear or just slightly yellow than you've sufficient amount of water in your body, if it's yellow or dark yellow than you're extremely dehydrated. Now drinking 8 glasses of water does help reduce chances of getting certain cancers and diseases according to studies (some studies done by water companies are bogus a lot of the time), water does clean toxins out of your body. The amount of water you need varies on your weight and how much you exercise, water also does aid in weight loss because it reduces appetite. Drinking enough water can only help you, it won't hurt you, but not drinking enough can damage your organs and especially your kidneys.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes, for a million reasons.
    Also, when I drink more I eat less :)
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options

:D Good to meet you.

I don't force myself to consume anything I don't want to consume. What people forget is that food has water in it, too. I'll have a glass now and then, but really, if I'm not thirsty I don't drink it.

Edited because I wanna make sure everyone knows I'm not anti-water. It's good for you. I'm just saying for the majority of my weight loss I haven't had a lot of water...so obviously water does not equal weight loss, and a small amount of water does not equal no weight loss.

you admitted that you drink water!!!! lol!!! what i meant is that you have to have some water within your diet so your body doesn't 'dry up'. :) you can get water from the fruits and veggies you eat. watermelon and cucumbers are awesome!