FitBit or Garmin Forunner 10

Options
I am looking to get a fitbit or a Garmin Forunner 10. I hear the fitbit is fairly accurate but a HRM is supposed to be even more accurate. Anyone have one of these and can share their experiences?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What are you planning to use it for? Garmin Forerunners are more GPS for running. I'm a huge fan of Garmins. My understanding is the fitbit was more of a pedometer which might not be useful for running (although I could be wrong about the fitbit)

ETA - the Garmin is more of a GPS with a HRM feature. It's not exactly designed to estimate calories although it does give calorie estimates based on heart rate (for that particular model if I recall correctly. Not all Garmin models have HRM and not every one that does bases the calorie estimate on HR)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Just double checked and I don't believe the Forerunner 10 has a HrM.
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. But it doesn't have a HRM, you'll have to use other measures to get that working if you want it. I know Endomondo is a phone app supported by MFP that is free, you only need an armband. I have a cheap-ish Timex I got from Amazon that does the trick. It tracks your time exercised, high HR and median HR, just by pressing the buttons on the watch.

The Fitbit really impresses me with how well it syncs with MFP, it shows me my status on the phone app, and syncs through there. It has a sleep tracker (which I don't use, but would be very useful for many). It has a very long battery life and is very small and easily well-hidden. It keeps track of how many steps, how much calories you are supposed to be burning everyday with what you chose on your work life in the sign-up process.

I honestly don't know much about the Garmin, just got the Fitbit on sale and had been wanting one.
  • talenarenee
    talenarenee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There's a new FitBit coming out soonish that supposed to be really awesome and does have a HRM. I think it's called FitBit Plus.

I use a Mia Motiva sports watch that has a fairly accurate HRM. I like it too!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    The Garmin Forerunner 10 is a GPS only watch with no HRM so if you want that option you need to upgrade. If you don't run there's no reason to go with Garmin for HRM options as they can get pretty expensive.
  • beorunner
    Options
    I have used both http://my-gps-online.com/nike-inc/nike-sportwatch-gps-powered-by-tomtom-voltblack/ and http://my-gps-online.com/garmin/garmin-forerunner-10-gps-watch-greenwhite/ but I would recommend the nike sportwatch its a lot better looking and have some awesome features that forerunner 10 dont.
  • brobergmelissa
    Options
    The new fitbit is calle the fitbit flex it looks pretty cool!
  • OzJester13
    OzJester13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your usage is for.

There are a lot of devices out there, Polar make some really good Devices with HRM as do Garmin. The fitbit will give you the information you require and from what I read the Fitbit technology and method is fairly accurate.

If it's for more analysis on your exercise, when your hitting yout max HR, how long you stay between certain thresholds, pace etc then a Garmin or similar device is probably more suited to these requirements. Though the FOrerunner 10 does not have a HRM (nor is it compatible with one).

I cycle and I have a Garmin EDGE 500 (with speed, cadence and HRM). I use it predominantly for tracking my rides, the HRM is a bonus so I can see the effort put in vs estimated calories burned. You can input your weight details into the device so the Cal Burn recorded is reasonably accurate, I just down grade it by 20% to be ultraconservative on the energy burn.

I also have sunuto HRM (no GPS) for tracking calories burned during sports (baseball, softball etc), for when knowing how fast, where and when I exercised is not important.

I hope this helps.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I guess I didnt realize the Forunner wasnt a hrm. Just got super excited when I saw my friends new one and assumed it did everything. I have some more research to do before I plop down $100+
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Thank you all! I guess I didnt realize the Forunner wasnt a hrm. Just got super excited when I saw my friends new one and assumed it did everything. I have some more research to do before I plop down $100+

If you tell us what exactly you are hoping to get we can probably give you an idea.