Did I ever screw up today

Options
I slept until noon. This is not uncommon for me. I don't have a job. I don't have kids. My puppies are more than happy to spend the morning sleeping in the bed with me and the a/c.

So, I didn't have breakfast.

I was feeling kind of fat this morning because of my late night watermelon binge at 12:30 this morning. So, my lunch was very light. I had carrots, cherries, hummus, and a coke zero. I also had a piece of reduced sugar cake (made with cherry Coke Zero and egg whites 150 calories per slice).

Then, I started exercising.

I did my usual with the Wii Fit Plus and then got the idea that I wanted to play tennis so I got out the Wii Sports. After playing tennis, I noticed that Sports has boxing (Rhythm Boxing was my favorite until today). So I did boxing (my new favorite). All in all, I did almost 2 hours worth of Wii today and I burned over 700 calories!

Needless to say, this is very good. I usually only burn 200-300 per day.

Well, now it's 7pm and I'm just now dealing with dinner. According to MFP, I still have to eat 1600 calories to get my goal and I'm not even hungry. I'm never hungry after exercising.

I'm about to eat 2 Smart Ones dinners and I'm not even sure I'm going to make it through those. Even if I do, I'm still going to be short 1000 calories for the day and I probably wont be up late enough tonight to have a 3rd meal for the day.

I don't have milk so I can't make pancakes or Kraft mac and cheese. I have no pasta sauce or alfredo sauce so no spaghetti or cheese tortellini. I have no bread so no peanut butter sandwich. I don't have any defrosted meat.

I need to plan these things better. It also seems that I'm going to have to rethink my grocery shopping in the future to include some emergency high calorie foods. Maybe a Hungry Man or two.

Replies

• Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    :huh: I wouldn't say that you screwed up today...you burned more calories and did more exercise than normal. :bigsmile: That in itself was a good thing. What about a good desert? You have all these calories left, you can eat and treat yourself today! Undoubtedly, you earned it! :flowerforyou:
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wow! Ok, first of all, exercise is never a screw up. It's good for your heart, even if the food part is a bit out of whack. Secondly, the fact that you KNOW how much you're supposed to be eating is a good thing, even if you can't fit it in before you crash tonight. Thirdly, tomorrow is another day. Make a plan. Get to the grocery. And get the exercise. Hang in there. We all have our days.:happy:
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe pick up some cliff bars or protein bars for after working out. Thats an easy 200 calories and good for you while still leaving you room for dinner later

Good job on being so active today!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Well a watermelon binge is like little to no calories considering all the other stuff you could have binged on!! I mean its mostly water!

Maybe instead of a high calorie Hungryman (and high sodium and high preservatives) maybe have some cheese on some whole grain crackers with a slice of turkey. High in protein and carbs.
    Try avocados with some fiber plus tortillas baked in the oven like chips with some salsa.
    Try greek yogurt with fresh fruit.

Don't beat yourself up. Realize that poor planning didn't help your eating habits and tomorrow make a choice to have a better day! The mere fact that you recognized what is happening is a great first step.
  • spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    Protein bars are a really good idea! It'll have to wait til the end of the week though.

I finished the cheesy potatoes. I haven't yet built up the courage to start in on the mac and cheese but I'll get there. One of my puppies is staring wistfully at it. If I don't make it gone soon, she's gonna explode with excitement!

I do have more cake and there is some ice cream. I might do that. Too bad I binged on the watermelon last night. I could get a good 300 or 400 calories from watermelon if I had enough.

Blech. I just tasted the mac and cheese. That stuff is vile. I think I might just eat a cup of peanut butter.
  • spike1380
    Options
    LOL I gave the mac and cheese to my boyfriend. Even he agrees it's totally disgusting. It tastes like cardboard with an Elmer's Glue sauce.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't think you screwed up at all. At least you got a great workout in! Plus, one day under OR overeating won't hurt a thing! If you under ate every day, you might have an issue to deal with in the future. But the body is pretty smart and usually isn't greatly affected by one day's events.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think you already took everything you needed to out of today just a little more planning in the future. but working out is never bad especially if you are building up your endurance and stamina! GREAT JOB, I completely agree with not having your emergency food be stuff like hungry man. There are pleanty of great healthy food that is high in cals
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you found something you enjoy that burns so many calories!
    If you're not hungry, what's the point of forcing yourself to eat? Maybe the hunger will hit you later on today. Or maybe it will be more tomorrow. Think of the bigger picture, across the week. You might eat way more tomorrow and that will make up for it.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you found something you enjoy that burns so many calories!
    If you're not hungry, what's the point of forcing yourself to eat? Maybe the hunger will hit you later on today. Or maybe it will be more tomorrow. Think of the bigger picture, across the week. You might eat way more tomorrow and that will make up for it.

I agree - its never good to force yourself to eat. then you'll stomach will stretch and you'll be eating a lot more than you need in the feature
  • spike1380
    Options
    LOL Don't worry, I was kidding about the Hungry Man. Even at the height of my fatness and binging, I couldn't bring myself to eat those.

I'm definitely going to get some protein bars for after my workouts. I am really enjoying the exercising and especially the boxing but trying to figure out how to eat the calories takes a lot of the fun out of it.

I love cheese and I didn't even think of that! I have a huge block of sharp cheddar in the fridge! Of course it's supposed to be used for training the puppies but they wont mind. Actually, they probably will but they'll get over it.

I'm working on eating plain peanut butter. I love PB but I don't think I've ever eaten it plain before. It's very sticky. I wish I had a glass of milk. A REALLY BIG glass of milk.

I'm glad to know you guys don't think I screwed up. I've been worrying about what I would do if I had a day like today.
  • spike1380
    Options
    I have so much to learn about this dieting thing apparently. So, it's ok if I don't finish eating this peanut butter?
  • spike1380
    Options
    Sassy - what does it mean the Navy wont have to tape you? I understand the military has weight requirements but what does tape mean in this context?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    just let the calories go - it's a pattern over time of not eating your exercise cals that will affect you negatively - you will be more negatively affected short term if you try to cram too many calories into one meal than if you just take a large deficit today.
  • spike1380
    Options
    Thank you guys. I have issues with calories. Either I eat too many or not enough. I have a hard time breaking even or coming close to it. Ever since I started MFP, I've been doing much better with it - until today. I kind of panicked when I entered my exercise and saw my net.

I managed to eat about 4 tbs of peanut butter so I'm only 1000 off for the day (heh, only). I"m going to let it go with that. Adam ate the 2 pieces of cake I had sitting next to me and I actually thanked him! Before I started dieting, I would have yelled at him for touching my cake.

Tomorrow I have to get up earlier than usual to bring Adam to work so I'll actually get to eat breakfast.

I need to get myself on a normal person schedule so I have time for 3 meals a day and then I wont run into problems like this any more.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    LOL I gave the mac and cheese to my boyfriend. Even he agrees it's totally disgusting. It tastes like cardboard with an Elmer's Glue sauce.

perfect description!
  • literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Remember it's just one day. So tomorrow you'll eat better. No need to eat mass calories if you're not hungry. When you are, you'll eat. Great activity for the day:)
  • malbrigo
    malbrigo Posts: 2
    Options
    No, you did not screw up and no, binging on watermelon is not bad for you! Think of all the other things you could have binged on (like McDonalds or something bad for you!) It's not good to force yourself to eat though and forcing yourself to eat a very high calorie high fat food might make you sick in the long run. It's more important to get in a good habit of eating well then it is to force yourself to eat. It sounds like you did a great job today - eating a light lunch and having a good workout. The other thing to realize is that you will be OK even if you don't eat all your calories every day. And remember that your NET calories change based on your workout - the amount of calories it's more important to eat every day are the amount before exercise. (for example I should eat 1200 calories but I burned 300 so it says I can eat more calories)
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    How on earth did you burn 700 calories on Wii fit? I never get past a couple hundred.
  • spike1380
    Options
    Hmm. Let's see......

Rhythm Boxing on expert - 1 round at 10 minutes.

Advanced Step - 3 rounds

Obstacle Course - 1 round on advanced

Super Hula Hoop - 1 round of 10 minutes

Marching Band - 2 rounds on advanced

I think that was all I did yesterday but I may be forgetting...yes I am. I also did the Island Run - 1 round of Island Lap. That's all for the Wii Fit Plus.

I also did 30 minutes of Tennis and 30 minutes of Boxing - both on Wii Sports. Tennis I did 6 or 7 games (best out of 5) and I lost all but 1 game. Boxing I did 6 rounds and gave it everything I had. I beat all 6 opponents. I wish I had an HRM because I think I burned more than it gave me credit for. The Boxing was not only the most fun, it was the best Wii based workout I have had so far.

In 56 minutes on the Wii Fit Plus, I burned 321. 30 Minutes of Tennis gave me 188 and 30 minutes of boxing gave me 254. I wanted to keep going on the boxing but by the time I got there, I just didn't have any more energy. I'm going to start with that today so I can go longer.

The Wii Fit Plus calories were determined by the game. The Tennis and Boxing calories came from the MFP database, based on how long I did it but not taking into consideration my weight, height, or intensity.

So, basically - I might be off a bit but I wont know for sure until I get an HRM.