Saying NO to free food?!

Options
As a student, I find that there's always some event going on where free food is offered. How do you maintain self-control when this happens?

For instance, some of my professors will bring food for us unexpectedly, or the school will lay out a food buffet at required event/talks. And it all looks so fresh and yummy and ... I find myself not being able to say "no"!

Tips??

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you eat the food, try to make healthy choices, eat it in moderation and and log it as a regularly scheduled meal or snack (ie save the lunch you packed for tomorrow)
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    BACK AWAY FROM THE BUFFET. Do not go near the buffet. Sit as far away from the buffet as possible. In my experience, the food looks a lot better than it tastes anyway. If a professor brings something in, say "no thank you" and sleep through the lecture so you won't be tempted. That is my strategy.
  • alice1128
    alice1128 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for this post. I really struggle with free food as well. It's nice to know I'm not the only one!:happy:
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've been doing horribly on this lately so I really should heed my own advice but...

When I first started on MFP I realised that snacking at work was (is) a massive downfall. At least a few days a week someone brings biscuits or chocolates or sweets... (in fact I just ate a biscuit from there 5 minutes ago, but I digress). So I took out a stickk commitment (google it, free website that allows you to make a commitment and put some money on the line). I made it so I had to pay $20 if I snacked. Every time I'd want to eat something 'free' I'd ask myself, would you pay $20 for that snack?

I didn't eat anything for months and months which was very helpful in getting all the weight off.

I probably need to do it again because my snacking is way up but those snacks are just so damn tasty I don't want to...
  • leximanion
    leximanion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep gum or mints on you! It's easier to say no when your mouth is minty because you know the food won't taste as good!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It is a choice.

I don't mind having off plan food around and offered. I just say no thanks.

If you stare at it & tell yourself it looks so good, etc. then you will most likely end up eating it. Look elsewhere, do somrthing else, stick a bottle of water in your hands, etc. Don't sabotage yourself. You are the only one who can.
  • weesinglane
    Options
    So I took out a stickk commitment (google it, free website that allows you to make a commitment and put some money on the line). I made it so I had to pay $20 if I snacked. Every time I'd want to eat something 'free' I'd ask myself, would you pay $20 for that snack?

Such a cool idea! $20 is big bucks for a student.
  • weesinglane
    Options
    Keep gum or mints on you! It's easier to say no when your mouth is minty because you know the food won't taste as good!

Gotcha - yea maybe I can just go the whole 9 yards and brush my teeth! xD

Thanks for the tips guys!
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    I totally understand, today they stressed us all out by telling people they still don't have some of the rotation sites set, and then they brought in fifteen giant pizzas. I have to go to the gym now :/