Protein Ideas Please

Options
stongue
stongue Posts: 34 Member
Please help me come up with some good ideas for healthy sources of protein. I struggle with this and feel very limited because I probably don't know what all there is available to use for protein sources. I read someone's earlier post and many of the replies suggested that protein should be the most important focus. So I could use some help in this area.

Replies

• baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Chicken, Fish, Beans, Nuts, Greek Yogurt & Soy.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I need help too...I'm more of a carb gal myself lol
  • mamitc01
    mamitc01 Posts: 43
    Options
    I need some ideas, too. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat and have a hard time reaching my protein goal for the day... especially on heavy exercise days.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean cereal has a good amount of protien without having to have meat.
  • spedraza
    spedraza Posts: 2
    Options
    I would shop your local vitamin store or GNC for ideas for a good shake, something that is low in calories and carbs with at least 20 grams of protien. There are also some good snack bars you can try for on the go, my favorite is MyoPlex Lite and Zone Perfect Bars. You can buy these at even Target or WalMart.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but will give you both views.

Healthy choices in meats would include poultry (grilled, broiled, or sauteed in light olive oil). This would be turkey or chicken.

You can also get good protein from lean cuts of beef but eat this in moderation.

As a vegetarian I love Bocca Burgers. The cross between the whole wheat buns and bocca burger gives me a complete source of protein. A good peanut butter sandwich works wonders as well. Just watch how much peanut butter and what type you use. I use the organic MaraNatha creamy and roasted peanut butter. Again you mix the peanut butter with some whole wheat bread and you have complete protein. You can also mix a good pasta dish with some tofu and get the same. Be sure you season the dish well. Tofu takes on the flavor of what ever you season it with. Yum Yum. Just a few ideas. I hope this helps.
  • maydianna
    maydianna Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you don't have any other health concerns (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.) I would suggest also using low-fat or part skim cheese to supplement protein. I take string cheese (part-skim mozzarella) with me almost every day as a snack with a piece of fruit or whole grain cracker. The Laughing Cow also makes a great low fat cheese snack for some quick protein. Chicken and soy (in protein bars or shakes) are my staples - but I do eat beef and pork once a week maybe. I also love a good veggi omelet every once and awhile but always use a combination of whole eggs and egg whites to up the protein without adding too much fat and cholesterol.

and to agree with an earlier post- greek yogurt is awesome!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites, almonds, light string cheese and fish for protein. But I also supplement with whey protein or pure protein bars, because I just cant get enough since I am not a big meat eater. muscle milk light is good to.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Eggs, (whites of course) cheap...easy to prepare, and very versitile (?spelling)....omlets, just hard boiled, in pickled beats, in salads, make macaroni salad (diet version of course), deviled eggs (diet version), and many more I'm sure!!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My favorites are eggs, lf cottage cheese, protein drinks (I am enjoying Carantion Instant Breakfast Chocolate packets-sugar free with skim), skim string cheese, canned or packets of tuna or salmon and of peanut butter! Yum!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but will give you both views.

Healthy choices in meats would include poultry (grilled, broiled, or sauteed in light olive oil). This would be turkey or chicken.

You can also get good protein from lean cuts of beef but eat this in moderation.

As a vegetarian I love Bocca Burgers. The cross between the whole wheat buns and bocca burger gives me a complete source of protein. A good peanut butter sandwich works wonders as well. Just watch how much peanut butter and what type you use. I use the organic MaraNatha creamy and roasted peanut butter. Again you mix the peanut butter with some whole wheat bread and you have complete protein. You can also mix a good pasta dish with some tofu and get the same. Be sure you season the dish well. Tofu takes on the flavor of what ever you season it with. Yum Yum. Just a few ideas. I hope this helps.
    I agree. Also, every morning I eat one egg. It gives me lots of protein and I stay full for hours. Sometimes I just eat a T of peanut butter. I like Smuckers simply peanut butter. I make my own trail mix with nuts, seeds and dry fruit. It give me 7g proteim and only 180 for 1/4 cup serving.
    linda
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this too. I call myself an involuntary vegetarian - meaning I eat meat only when it's on sale :)

I do like canned Tuna so I have that a couple times a week and eat a lot of eggs, but eggs rack up the calories so fast.

We eat a lot of PB here too, but again fast on the calorie using. I like walnuts too.

I HATE and REFUSE to eat beans, though I am still someday going to try to make those black bean brownies from a long ago post someone had up.

Still even on a PB or Tuna day I am always way under on protein. I probably only eat 10% ration protein.
  • joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have purchased pasteurized egg whites and add them to everything...an ounce has quite a few grams of protein, and you can mix it in a smoothie, pasta, whatever you want. Of course, egg dishes as well, such as an omelet, scrambled eggs, etc. I add it to one whole egg when I make my kids breakfast (whether I do over easy or scrambled), they get more protein and its healthier than 2 whole eggs. Better n' eggs even has a smoothie recipe on the container.

Make sure it is a container of pasteurized egg WHITES...don't do the old fashioned raw egg thing...ick!

Good luck!

Joy
  • stongue
    stongue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. These are great and I am going to try to incorporate as many of them as I possibly can. This is what I love about MFP. We can help each other so much here. Please keep the ideas coming since I see I am not the only one who needs the help:wink:
  • nomofat
    nomofat Posts: 17
    Options
    Low fat fresh mozzarrella (sold usually in the form of balls in water near the gourmet section), tomatoes, olive oil, oregano and basil makes a great sandwich either grilled or cold .... or a great salad. A nice change of pace from meat.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    For me it's tuna, cottage cheese, chicken, whey powder (post workout only really), peanut butter (but mainly for healthy fats), chick peas, beans.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein shakes or powders very often...I like to eat my calories! :laugh: Egg whites, are very low in calories and can rack up big points in protein, as well as skim milk, tuna, I eat two cans a day..and that alone gices me 70g, quinoa..awesome! yogurt, cottage cheese is amazing for the protein count, add some chopped tuna and egg white..bam perfect in a lettuce wrap. chicken and turkey, as well as pork, and of course all your nuts and beans. If I find I need to supplement with powders..which I really hate doing, I will add them to my morning yogurt, or add the powder to my pancake batter.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've also been trying to eat more protein, so thanks for starting this topic.

I just discovered lentils, and there are some great lentil soup/stew recipes out there if you have a slow cooker. Black beans are also great, and easy to incorporate into most Mexican recipes, salads, etc.

Big nod of agreement to those who mentioned eggs, cottage cheese, veggie burgers, and cheese, which are go-to protein sources for me. Cabot makes a 75% fat free cheddar that is pretty decent. You'd never mistake it for the full-fat kind, but I mostly have it melted in sandwiches, and it melts and tastes good in recipes.

Morning Star makes a great little maple 'sausage' veggie patty. They're sweet and salty and very addictive.

I also really like beef jerky, but I know it's not a great everyday option because it's so processed.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    for me, i like to grab a shake after i workout...chocolate whey powder, 1/2 banana and 1tbsp of almond butter. its around 30g of protein with the whey powder i use, tastes pretty good and sweet and helps rebuild the muscles. egg whites are also great as others have suggested and have been doing 2 eggs worth of them, a fat-free cheese slice on top of sprouted grain bread for bfast. also may want to try quorn meatless chik'n nuggets...theyre one of my favorites,
  • SarahEllis28
    Options
    For On-The-Go protein - Cook chicken breast and cut into bite size pieces. Toss it in a ziplock bag and you're ready to roll. It's pretty filling and keeps you from loading up on junk when you're out and about.