Your homemade nutritious evening snack ideas please! Help!

Options
I am new to all of this :embarassed: and it is 8pm, 2- 3 hours before bed, and on this particular day I am hungry and I want to snack. I just saw the recent post for "TOPIC: 50 BEST Low Calorie SNACKS 115-125 Calories" but I cannot do that because I cannot have any of that stuff in the house. I will eat it all the snackies in one sitting so I do not buy it at all. I cannot eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter at this stage, I have no willpower! I will get a spoon and eat the jar. I cannot eat just one cup of popcorn yet.

So I am reading the history of posts to get other ideas that I can list and shop for this week. I would ideally like to stock my freezer with really yummy low fat, low sugar goodies I can make in 15-20 minutes that will be very satisfying and I came up with a few so far ( I am lucky that I love vegetables!):

Sweet:
1.) Frozen butternut squash - in 15 minutes I can thaw a package on the stove, add a little low fat milk or soy milk, ginger nutmeg, cinnamon, whisk it around and have a huge bowl of soup for under 200 calories, low sugar very low fat and lots of nutrition!

Savory:
2.) Frozen breaded okra - in 15 minutes in the toaster oven I have about a cup of yumminess for about 100 calories, no fat, no sugar and again, a lot of crispy, tasty, nutrition!

3.) Hummus or no fat dips with fresh cut raw vegetables.

Can you give me your ideas? I have every known supermarket to human kind within a mile from me (Northern Virginia), (Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Safeway, Shoppers, Giant, and wonderful Asian, South American, Greek, Peruvian, etc., local owned stores, etc)., love all foods, love ethnic foods....so if you can give me your personal favorites similar to above and where you can get them, I would appreciate it! I am looking for anything and everything, preferably frozen, that I have to make (and therefore, less apt to sit and munch).

Thank you!

Heather

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Probably can't do this tonight, but good for future reference:

take a banana & slice it into coins. Put in freezer all day. Take out for evening snack & destroy in blender/food processor. It will be crumbly at first, but keep scraping it down & mushing it up, and... IT TURNS INTO ICE CREAM!

Throw some sliced strawberries on top or even a tiny drizzle of chocolate syrup (saw a no-calorie chocolate syrup at Target today) for an awesome, healthy, fat-free treat.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Something that I just found was to take a can of garbanzo beans(chickpeas) drain them and then toss with a T. spoon of olive oil and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on them. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. They are yummy and have some protein. Just try and not eat the whole can (which I could do if I wasn't careful!!!)
    Also a BIG glass of water!!!!
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    I am interested to see what people reply back as I live in Northern VA too...This site has been awesome and people are really helpful when asked something... :) Good luck in your journey!!!

911446.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • nomofat
    nomofat Posts: 17
    Options
    Yum! I would have never thought of these, thanks! This is what I need.

Frozen bananas, yes! I will go out and buy mixed berries too!

If I eat an entire can of chickpeas, I won't feel nearly as bad as eating a jar of PB - lol

Heather
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    off the top of my head pan fried brussel sprouts,about 1/4 of a pound cut them in half add two teaspoons of olive oil coat with your favorite seasonings, garlic powder lemon pepper, whatever...of course light on the sail

throw them in the pan (with the same olive oil you coated them and the seasonings in) toast them till they are golden brown....pretty yummy actually

163 cals, its also in my food log a few days back for all the other nutrients.
  • dblackwell
    dblackwell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is one of my "go to" items when I am hungry or waited too long to eat, or just stand in the fridge wondering what I can eat. I keep Greek yogurt in the fridge and add a handful of fresh or frozen blackberries. (Thaw the frozen ones just a bit or they will freeze your teeth, but I like them still icy!) It is yummy and about 160 calories and has enough protein to help me stop munching!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love plain yogurt made with whole milk (can't stand the taste of the lowfat or fatfree stuff - even the Greek versions). I eat it daily, sometimes twice a day. I mix it with either:
    - hershey's cocoa powder, and packet of sweetener

- fresh berries, strawberries being my favorite

- honey & cinnamon

The season for rhubarb is ending but I discovered this spring how much I love fresh chopped rhubarb with sweetener sprinkled on top - practically no calories at all and it tastes like a crunchy version of sour patch kids :)
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are great..almost like having a popsicle!
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Ive been addictted to the danon light vanilla yogurt with granola on top. I only use half of each serving because I find a whole cup of yogurt to be too much.
  • nomofat
    Options
    Thanks for all of your ideas! I loaded my freezer last night. I came up with

Edamame
    Butternut squash ravioli
    Haagen Dazs Chocolate sorbet (very chocolatey and satisfying so I don't eat the entire tub!)
    Pomegranate Apple sauce
    Japanese Mochi
    Indian Papadum, heated in a pan with no oil with chopped spinach pesto and pine nuts
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love frozen grapes too.

This is my PERFECT 100 calorie snack (I have mentioned it many times) :)

5 strawberries, cleaned and dried
    2 pieces Dove Promises dark chocolate

Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds, 50% power, stir, do it again until it is melted.

Dip strawberries in chocolate and put on wax paper.

Put in fridge for 2-3 hours.

AMAZING I TELL YA!
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    Cool Whip Lite and Fat/Sugar Free Jello Pudding mix = chocolate mousse (someone else posted this - so I can't take credit - but I did try it - it was good!)
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I eat edameme alot. It comes frozen and you just boil it and add a bit of soy sauce if you like. I also really like Greek yogurt with honey. It is so creamy and delicious it tastes like ice cream!
  • nomofat
    Options
    strawberries with a little chocolate, oh yum!
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    peanut butter oatmeal dip
    i slice apples, celery, carrots, whatever you like dipped in peanut butter and dip into:
    1cup peanut buuter
    1/2 quick oats
    dash of milk
    dash of cinnamon
    squirt of honey
    mix all together to the consistency you like....makes alot so you will have tons for the week...i eat about 1-2 tablespoons at a time...its great! store it in the fridge :)
  • ahkunkel
    ahkunkel Posts: 68
    Options
    My husband and I make smoothies as our low calorie snack at night while we are watching a movie. in a blender you mix 1/2 cup ice, 1/2 cup light and fit strawberry yogurt, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1/4 cup raspberries. Add 1/2 cup or more water and blend. It is so good with no fat (as long as you use fat free yogurt) and its a sweet, satisfying treat. good luck!
  • nomofat
    Options
    Thanks!:smile:
  • gardenlili
    gardenlili Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like granola but it contains sugar and has more calories than some other cereals. So I have this tip for granola lovers: Tip: Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs is the lowest calorie cereal I have found. It has no sugar. I mix it with granola which I like but is higher and that way I only get 1/2 the calories of the granola but still get the taste of the granola as puffed cereal is kind of bland.