Do you believe in banking calories in the week?

Options
If you go over 1 day but the next you are under do you feel like your OK in the weight loss struggle?
I went over today but could be under tomorrow if I wanted to (not eat workout calories).
Is this a sane way of living? I do this alot it seems. Go over then under and I am at a plateu for a month

Replies

• teerene
    teerene Posts: 16
    Options
    cant wait to hear what others think...I do this sometimes too.:smile:
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    google "zig zag dieting" that might help you.
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    What you describe is called zig zag dieting. It is especially used to break plateaus.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think this all depends on your body zig zag dieting may work for you, but if your in a pleatu try leveling out a little more planning and see what that does everyones body processes things differently
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would try not to make a habit of it. I admit, I've done it before but I would not make it regular because it doesnt seem like it is productive. You have willpower! If you can be under one day...try to level it out some. You'll be alright.
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    I thought it was ok at one point, but asked my family (mom, dad, and sis) all of whom are on the weight watchers diet plan, and they all said, it's not good to live/eat that way. what your body needs is a steady, and equal flow of calories. not ups and downs like the stock market.
  • tjptaylor
    tjptaylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do that -- I track my total calories for the week and how much I've used day by day. I try to stick to 1200-1400. My target per MFP is 1200. I do plan on at least 1000 additional calories from work outs during the week. It works for me. HTH
  • TaraArriola
    Options
    Here is the problem with zig-zag dieting. Your body works better when you give it a steady diet of calories per day. If your body believes that each day you are going to starve it and then the next day feed it; it will store what you eat and you will not lose.

For good weight loss (according to my doctor and my A&P teacher) you need a steady intake daily of food and water. Make sure to stay within the same range even if you go over by a little (give or take 100 calories). Also, if you want to shock your body in to losing eat your big meal early in the day, continue to eat throughout the day and work out. Also, work out in the morning prior to eating (just a small workout 20 min or less). This will really get your body started.

Just some tips that I thought I would pass along.
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    dont wanna be mean but if you are plateau-ing then obviously whatever you are doing isnt working, try not eating your exercise calories :)
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I personally think it's ok, weight watchers had flex points for a while, I'm not sure if they still do, but it worked pretty good for me with the banked points. So I say yes, and everybody hits a plataeu, that's how our bodies level itself out. Good luck.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I always think about when I'm going to be burning those calories off. In order for your body to be most efficient, you will want to burn those calories off the same day you eat them so they are not stored. It's not the worst thing in the world to bank, and if it helps you attain and maintain a healthy weight then I think you should do what works for you. I want my machine, my body, to be as efficient as possible so that I can maximize my weight loss, so for me, I don't bank.
  • sescoto
    sescoto Posts: 1
    Options
    I googled, I read, I looked, but seriously this is how I see it; I am fat, I get no rewards! This pattern of crazy rewarding yourself is not playing by the rules. I am not a rule guy, but because I am fat, I get no slack. This program is science, this program should be based on a great routine, and very healthy eating. I would not hold calories, borrow, save, go easy in the morning and save for a big dinner etc.. That is just plain dumb! Slow and steady, balanced meals, get a great routine with foods that meet your goals, and do not cheat. Once you get it down and you stop loosing weight, reduce your calories by 100, 200, 300, 400, until you kickstart the motors. Science does not lie, less calories, less fat for me... I would say good luck, but seriously, work hard, fight everyday, keep with it, don't stop, that or buy bigger chonnies, your choice.. Big fat Vinney!!!
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on how much you go over/under each time...if it is a small amount that you are going over each time you aren't going to sabotage yourself too much because there is a deficit built in to your calorie goal each day anyway...personally i do have a bad day now and then and try to make up for it the next few days after...its natural...i feel like i will stick with the program longer if i let myself 'forget' the rules from time to time and have a good night out with the girls or enjoy a bbq with a few drinks :)
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the original post was about zig zag dieting. My reply is not about zig zagging.

Within a short range of calories, say 1200 - 1500, I think it's okay to balance out the calories for the week. Yes, our daily goal is to hit a target number, but life happens! I don't think our bodies are so delicately balanced that eating more one day, and less the next is going to throw it into metabolic shut down. jmho!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    "I googled, I read, I looked, but seriously this is how I see it; I am fat, I get no rewards! This pattern of crazy rewarding yourself is not playing by the rules. I am not a rule guy, but because I am fat, I get no slack. This program is science, this program should be based on a great routine, and very healthy eating. I would not hold calories, borrow, save, go easy in the morning and save for a big dinner etc.. That is just plain dumb! Slow and steady, balanced meals, get a great routine with foods that meet your goals, and do not cheat."

I have two problems with this. First, you make it sound like being fat is a character flaw like if you're overweight, you're evil and you will be punished! I don't know about anybody else on here, but I have struggled with my weight since looooong before I was old enough to decide for myself what I ate. Second, the idea of never varying your diet or making room for a special occasion is, first, not realistic and second, simply a crappy, depressing way to live, which will lead to becoming discouraged and quitting. Yes diet and nutrition are science, but life is also, in large part art. If you get no joy from the food you eat, you're missing out on a lot.
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i completely agree with you trainguy. what kind of life is this to live if you can't enjoy it!!!???

i bank sometimes when i know i am going to a special occassion or away. it gives me something to look forward to, and yes weight watchers helped me learn that with their flex points when i did that program which jumpstarted my weight loss journey.

some people have to learn the hard way i guess. life is a learning curve! plus everyone is different. i just know that if it were me doing it this rigid way i would get resentful and bored and give up a lot faster than ever before.
    slow and steady wins the race!
  • gonnabskinny
    Options
    I think what "Big Vinney" was trying to say was that you have to take losing weight seriously and playing games with "banking" calories and saving them up...is just another excuse for cheating. If you want to seriously lose weight, then don't play games. Be honest with yourself. You know that eating those extra calories isn't going to get you in the direction you want to go.

Yeah, we all cheat sometimes....that's just normal and it's fun. But in the end, fooling yourself into thinking that you can overdo it one day cuz you did good the day before is just counter productive.