Hurt my back doing squats.

The title says is all, I hurt my back now I'm kind of in a rut, because I can't exercise until I'm better. Everything hurts even walking. I went to a chiropractor today and they took xrays and adjusted my back.

Basically I'm asking if I should lower my calorie intake while I recover from my injury so I do not gain weight.

Replies

• danekin
    danekin Posts: 21
    If you keep you calorie target the same then without your exercise you would naturally reduce your calorie intake so that your net calories will hit your target. Your total calories intake minus your calorie burn for the day equals your net calories. So, basically you should not change your target, keep it the same. Also, just a tip to make sure your intake is at least 1200 calories or greater each day to ensure your body does not go into starvation mode. I am no expert, but I hope this helps.

Also, the best way to get the most accurate information on a back injury is to get a CT scan. Did they pull a CT scan or an xray?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    If you're less mobile than usual I would set it to sedentary or lightly active.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    If anything, I would up my calories if I were you, give your body what it needs to heal. Feel better soon, and just take it easy so you can recover. :)
  • emcclore
    emcclore Posts: 38
    I have been a yo yo exerciser for the last 4 years and so that may be my issue.... but I had to stop doing squats too because I was getting cray muscle spasms and lower back pain.... I opted to just keep doing my regular cardio and weight training and try squats when I feel I'm a bit stronger or more conditioned....

good luck and get well soon!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    If anything, I would up my calories if I were you, give your body what it needs to heal. Feel better soon, and just take it easy so you can recover. :)

Depending on what your calories are set to and some other factors, this. I find my body heals a lot quicker when it has the fuel to do so. When I get hurt or sick my cals usually go up naturally. I also find that many people on this site have their intake set incredibly low, which can set people up for injury.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    You know, there are other exercises you can do that won't stress your back?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    I hurt my legs a fw days ago doings squats x.x I went heavier than I should have and lost form :( New plan les weight and build up til I can do it properly! Yoga helped me a lot there are a lot of youtube videos for pain I was so much better today afte letting those muscles stretch well

eh ask your doc first though
  • rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks everyone, my calorie intake is set to around 1560 calories, I had xrays taken, and I do feel better with the adjustment from yesterday. I just don't know if 1500 was appropriate for no action. I'm literally staying in bed, eating, sitting down, and only getting up to take a rest from the bed. Because the bed makes me tired. I'm like desperate to move already. However I can only move so much before my back starts bugging me again.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Thanks everyone, my calorie intake is set to around 1560 calories, I had xrays taken, and I do feel better with the adjustment from yesterday. I just don't know if 1500 was appropriate for no action. I'm literally staying in bed, eating, sitting down, and only getting up to take a rest from the bed. Because the bed makes me tired. I'm like desperate to move already. However I can only move so much before my back starts bugging me again.

If it makes you feel better I was bed ridden a while back and eating 1700 calories and still losing weight when I was fairly slim.
  • rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member

If it makes you feel better I was bed ridden a while back and eating 1700 calories and still losing weight when I was fairly slim.

yes it does, it lets me eat a little bit more =)