I need help increasing my fat intake

Hey guys I've been pretty good at managing my caloric intake, but my fat intake has always been short.

What are some things that you guys eat to have higher fat intake while maintaining the calories?

Replies

• violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Avocados, peanut butter, nuts of any kind, full-fat greek yogurt, full-fat cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, and dark chocolate. I'm sure there are loads more, but that is all I can think of right now.

I'm sure some others can fill in the blanks.
  • Obviously, you're going to have to eat fewer carbs and/or protein if your goal is to get more fat in your diet. It's not going to be a 1:1 ratio either because fat has 9 calories and carbs and protein have 4 each. Fats tend to be more filling though, so it shouldn't be a problem of leaving you with too little food to keep you satiated.

Some healthy ways to get good fats (not trans fat) that everyone loves to discuss here are avocados, nuts/nut butters, olive oil, meats and full fat dairy products. Add avocado to a salad or sandwich. Add peanut (or whatever nut you prefer) butter to an apple, or, well anything. Eat a handful of nuts as a snack. If you eat greek yogurt, try to eat some that are full fat or at least not non-fat. Same thing with other dairy. Use olive oil as part of a dressing for a salad, or roast vegetables with a little bit of it, or use it to cook meats. It's really not very difficult to increase fat intake...and it tastes good.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    What Violet said. But keep in mind if you increase your fat you'll have to find the cals elsewhere. I'd suggest cutting down on carbs and not protein though.
  • ceevar
    ceevar Posts: 10
    Thanks for the input guys! I definitely have no problem cutting back on carbs, but I do like my protein. I think I'll try eating more nuts and start cooking my vegetables in oil.

If there is any more advice I'm open to suggestions :)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Thanks for the input guys! I definitely have no problem cutting back on carbs, but I do like my protein. I think I'll try eating more nuts and start cooking my vegetables in oil.

Depending on the oil you use, you may want to rethink that. Olive oil isn't the best due to low smoke point, and many other oils, especially the refined ones, aren't made of the kind of fats you want to be taking in for optimum health. We now know that the omega-6's in most refined oils are simply not healthy.

You may be better off steaming your vegetables then melting some butter on them. I also use full-fat sauces to increase fat intake. I do love a full-fat cheese sauce on my asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower... and I use hollandaise sauces on things, alfredo sauce, etc.

Also, have eggs instead of just egg whites, pan fry your chicken breast in peanut oil, use some heavy cream in coffee, etc.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    I had the same problem until I discovered avocados. I slice one up on a salad almost every day...yum! Hint: They're less expensive if you buy them at Aldi, or by the bag at Trader Joe's or a Latin market.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    I am always over on my fats you can take a look at my diary. I always cook with olive oil, Cheese is often in there. Walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, greek yoghurt and fish, not necessarily at the same time. Hope it helps.
  • ceevar
    ceevar Posts: 10

Depending on the oil you use, you may want to rethink that. Olive oil isn't the best due to low smoke point, and many other oils, especially the refined ones, aren't made of the kind of fats you want to be taking in for optimum health. We now know that the omega-6's in most refined oils are simply not healthy.

You may be better off steaming your vegetables then melting some butter on them. I also use full-fat sauces to increase fat intake. I do love a full-fat cheese sauce on my asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower... and I use hollandaise sauces on things, alfredo sauce, etc.

Also, have eggs instead of just egg whites, pan fry your chicken breast in peanut oil, use some heavy cream in coffee, etc.

I actually use grapeseed oil. I'm not sure how much better that is, but I had recommended to me by a few people.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Good suggestions so far...I also like full, heavy whipping cream in my coffee (and Starbucks has it behind the counter if you go there). Coconut oil can also be good in coffee (with the cream).
    And ditto cheeses, avos, olive oil...definitely cut carbs to make room; you'll see great results, and probably also better bloodwork/chol.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    MILK