Trader Joes Super Firm Tofu... what to do?

Options
I tried baking it, but it is such a firm tofu that it came out really dry and chewy... I think I did it wrong. Can anyone suggest better ways to eat it? I am a tofu newbie! Thank you!

Replies

• Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Slice is 1/4in thick, heat up a non-stick pan (important) until quite hot, and add the tofu. It should sizzle when it touches the hot pan. Leave it undisturbed (do not touch it, no peeking, no turning, nothing!) for about 3 minutes. Around that mark the tofu will unstick from the pan because the surface has started to caramelize and turn a nice golden. Now flip it and do the same on the other side. You can now put it in a sandwich, on a stirfry, a soup (in this case i'd do cubes instead of slices). In this way you get a crunchy chewy crust with a tender center.

If you want to bake it in the oven, I'd suggest using some kind of marinade, like some homemade bbq sauce. If you bake it for too long without adding moisture it will get too dry and tough.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Definately agree with a marinade if you bake it.

When I've made tofu before I have sliced it 1/4 inch thick than wrapped it in a clean towel and put a plate or bowl over it to draw out any extra moisture. I than put it in a pan to cook.