I love sushi!

Options
But i hate the amount of sodium in soy sauce! I used the low sodium soy sauce i have at home, and the nutritional info says 770 mg sodium per tbsp! That is ridiculous!

So this is my question...how can i enjoy my sushi without the soy sauce?

Feel free to look through my diary if you like :) Feeling guilty right now :(

Replies

• tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    sashimi is great with just a super thin slice of lemon...pure protein
  • eecrowley10
    Options
    i love sushi also and i usually don't pay attention to the sodium levels. if the rest of your diet is low in sodium then it won't make that much of a difference and you shouldn't be eating sushi so frequently that it makes a huge impact on your health. overall, i would say don't use soy sauce if you are worried about it, but if you can't sacrifice it, then don't worry too much!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    That's tough! I LOVE the low sodium soy sauce mixed with lots of wasabi. Since I do tend to use lots of wasabi, I dip lightly. As expensive as sushi is... maybe on the occasions where you do have it, just enjoy the low sodium sauce.. dip sparingly and drink lots of water all day. It's not great to eat high sodium everyday. But, I think occasionally would be fine. Maybe even add a little water to the soy sauce to dilute it more.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUSHI TOO!:love:

I replaced my soy sauce with fat free cream cheese. I take each piece and spread cream cheese on it. 1Tbsp is good enough for an entire roll (if you spread it thin enough). IT TASTES AWESOME!:tongue:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Dilute the soy sauce with lemon juice.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :0 I don't like sashimi...i stay away from the raw fish sushi hehe...only eat veggie ones or smoked salmon :)

I agree, i don't have sushi much so i think it is ok to have a bit of a splurge on the sodium for the soy sauce. That is a great idea to add water to the soy sauce!! Love it!! I also love the idea of the cream cheese!!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    When I go out for sushi, I usually try not to worry about it too much and enjoy myself. Usually i've altered how I've eaten the rest of the day to kind of prepare for it. Don't worry too much about it as long as your not eating sushi all the time. :)
  • princesspurple
    Options
    i love my sushi w/ soy and wasabi! it just isn't the same w/ out it! I actually made it for lunch the last 2 days. I made sure I had extra water throughout the day and no water retention:_)
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I typically don't worry too much about it. I have it so rarely I feel like it hardly matters. And I try to drink a lot of water (or unsweeted green tea one of the restaurants I go to has!) to offset it as much as possible.