Anyone have pcos and have lost a great amount of weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• LindaLou252
    LindaLou252 Posts: 106
    Options
    "Those of us on Metformin are taking it because we have to. Without it, we would gain more weight and very likely end up diabetic."

First of all, congrats on your progress! You should be proud!

Second... If your insulin-resistance is enough that it "requires" Metformin, then you, my friend are not pre-diabetic... you ARE a diabetic with PCOS. And, you should probably be seeing an Endocrinologist.

I fully understand the insulin resistance that goes along with PCOS. My fasting glucose just a couple weeks ago was 103. I have never used PCOS as an excuse, nor will I ever. I'm proud to say I've lost my 70lbs without ANY type of medication, not just Metformin. I've lost weight because I've worked my butt off and paid attention to everything I put in my mouth.

I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree. I think it's quite trashy to argue on a forum that's supposed to be used for support. I'm just calling it like I see it... an excuse.
  • LindaLou252
    LindaLou252 Posts: 106
    Options
    Those of us on Metformin are taking it because we have to.

I stopped taking mine, I don't *have* to take it. Why treat the symptom, when I can treat the source - what I eat. Sure, I lost 45lb the year I was on it, but I also attribute that to a more active lifestyle (working at Home Depot while unemployed, I'd easily hit 17k steps in a day, 5 days a week). I also don't think it was coincidence that my liver enzymes kept climbing (same thing happened to my dad, now he's on insulin shots instead), despite that I am not a heavy or even regular drinker (maybe a few a couple times a month), yet my doctor kept telling me to stop drinking since she didn't believe me (there are other things that can cause it!).

I've still managed to lose another 30lb on my own (I'm down a total of 96lb) - maybe slower, but I'd rather control it with my diet. I have to drop my carbs under 100g a day (depends on activity level) to lose, but it can be done. Changing my diet has also regulated my cycles so I don't need to be on the pill any longer.

PS: yes I have (had?) PCOS. Pretty much most of my symptoms have cleared up.

Yes! See, she gets it! Lol!
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have it too and I'm down 72 lbs since July 2012. I'm hoping to hit 100 lbs by July. I'm not on any medication for PCOS. I workout 6 days a week (3 days strength and 3 days running). I eat very low carb and follow the Atkins diet and stay at 1200 calories a day.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I've started losing weight, finally, after starting using this program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

It's not a diet. It involves some math, and then gives you your calories based on your lean body mass. If you choose to exercise and increase that lean body mass, your calorie number will go up. If you don't, it won't. They don't tell you WHAT to eat - if you want to eat all your calories in ice cream one day, you're welcome to it. It's part of what makes this so much more do-able as a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet. I'd definitely recommend it.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread!

I am still trying to lose, but have really struggled for two years with weight coming on and off and then on again. I'm about half way to my goal, but frankly my goal is on the generous side. After some other health problems, my OB/GYN is now suspecting I have PCOS and has referred me to an endocrinologist. I will be seeing the endo in the next couple weeks. I really didn't know much about PCOS but have been doing a lot of research the last few weeks and it was getting a little depressing in the weight management category.... I'm glad to see many of you succeeding!
  • carrisaalejandre
    carrisaalejandre Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to make this post for you guys to disagree on this everyone has a different story and Thank you for sharing it with me and everyone.=) I don't currently take metformin but I did when I was trying to conceive my daughter then I stopped. I think I will make a doctor's appointment and see if I do need to take anything to help my weight loss. It took me 7months to lose my 40 pounds that to me is a slow loss =(
  • mjay26
    mjay26 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70lbs in the past year with PCOS... without medication! I've gone from a size 22/24 to a size 12/14. Starting at 252lbs and down to 182lbs. PCOS is NOT an excuse! I average around 1600 cals/day and exercise 2-3 times per week. My carbs are set at 40% on MFP... protein 30% and fat 30%. I'll be doing before and after pictures on my MFP blog for my 1 year MFP anniversary on May 1st! :)

Those of us on Metformin are taking it because we have to. Without it, we would gain more weight and very likely end up diabetic. "Without medication!" makes it sound like we're taking diet pills. Metformin is not a diet pill. It helps our bodies process insulin and glucose and is necessary even while eating low-carb/low-sugar foods. Even with the medication and diet, it is still very easy to gain weight or get stuck at a certain weight. That's why so many women with PCOS get frustrated.

I recommend anyone with PCOS have their hormones and insulin checked. Saying, "PCOS is NOT an excuse!" can make women with PCOS feel like they should be losing as much as everyone else, when it's very likely they can't. With insulin resistance, it is not uncommon to lose very, very slowly, sometimes a half-pound per week, even if you are over 300 pounds. It's frustrating when other 300-pound women lose 2-3 pounds per week and you go several weeks without dropping a pound, even if you're on medication and doing everything "right".

You may not have insulin resistance - not everyone with PCOS does - and I'm very happy you've lost so much. But please don't make other women with PCOS feel bad for having a very legitimate, very real "excuse" for not losing as quickly as others. If anything, they need more education about what PCOS is, what it does, and what they need to ask their doctors. As I stated above, some doctors treat PCOS as one issue (throw birth control pills at them) when it's actually comprised of many issues, and this can lead to years of misery. In my case, BCP made me gain even MORE weight, since it exacerbates the insulin resistance. Everyone with PCOS should demand bloodwork instead of just hearing, "Oh, you're heavy and have acne and miss your periods? Here are some birth control pills. Try to lose some weight. Bye!"

I second that!!

I have lost nearly 51kgs (112lbs) , and being on Metformin really helped me :)
  • rachelroma
    rachelroma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Metformin made me hungry and I gained weight on it. Not sure why, but different strokes for different folks.

I went paleo (grain free.. still ate a little bit of dairy) and dropped 25 lbs in a couple months without bothering to count calories. Had way more energy and my symptoms started clearing up. Then I went on vacation and started eating sugar and carbs again and regained 15 lbs. The best diet for me has been low carb, grain and legume free, with low amounts of dairy. I'm restarting it now in the hopes of losing back that weight before summer.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    It took me 7months to lose my 40 pounds that to me is a slow loss =(

40lb is awesome, no matter how long it took, it's not a race! You should still be proud! :)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    ME! 115 lbs to-date. Took 4 years and 2 babies, but I'm 25lbs from my goal!
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have it
    i lost 52lbs and still counting
    if you cant burn almost everything you ate
    then counting carbs is the way to go :)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a GREAT amount of weight, but I've lost about 30 pounds and considering that's more than half of my goal weight, I feel like it's a bit of an accomplishment. I've stalled though. I was at a good steady pace of 5 pounds a month (fairly slow compared to some, but it was still coming off), but that stopped around November and I haven't lost anything since. I'm trying to reassess my goals and essentially start over to get the rest of the weight off.

Good luck to you!
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say congrats to all of you ladies!!! Wonderful losses and truly inspiring!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This thread is so inspirational!!! I have pcos and was dx since I was 17. I can't have my period at all without my metformin/BCP nix. I also take spirolinlactone for related issues. Weight loss is so hard!!! And I've stalled... but I wont give up!

You guys are my motivation :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!