Always going over on protein

Options
dayr1993
dayr1993 Posts: 102 Member
I dont understand how im always going over im having on average a chicken breast and turkey in a day amd im over by loads is this gonma stop my weight loss in the end?

Replies

• col443
    col443 Posts: 17
    Options
    Nah. MFP sets protein too low. I almost always go over on protein and fiber.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    MFP sets it so low. Adjust your macros.... protein is good. dont worry about it if you are sticking to MFP guideline
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Many on here choose to change their macros to a higher protien % anyway to help build muscle, I have trouble on that basis, getting to my protien number.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Protein is one macro I always intentionally try to go over. MFPs protein recommendations are pretty low.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Protein is one macro I always intentionally try to go over. MFPs protein recommendations are pretty low.

Yea, having trouble every day to get enough in.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't bother too much about macros - I'm always over on sugar even just from fruit plus milk in tea and porridge, and generally over on protein as well. As long as your calories are on the mark you will lose weight.
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    MFP sets it so low. Adjust your macros.... protein is good. dont worry about it if you are sticking to MFP guideline

This ^^^ MFP goals are stupidly low on protein... Try to aim to eat 1g of protein per lean body mass.... I get at least 90g per day
  • dayr1993
    dayr1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did wonder thanks everyone :D
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i would not worry about it ..I hit about 200 grams of protein a day....