PROTEIN!?

Options
okay so my daily protein goal is something like 49! but I am always over by about 15. it's only ever healthy proteins such as eggs, lean meat and tuna. does it matter?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    Sounds low to me.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    okay so my daily protein goal is something like 49! but I am always over by about 15. it's only ever healthy proteins such as eggs, lean meat and tuna. does it matter?

MFP protein goals are set very low, at only 15% of your intake, so don't worry about going over - treat it as a target to aim for and exceed rather than a limit.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Eat MORE protein! My goal is something like 113g a day and it's the only macro I make a really big effort to hit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein at 15%, which is pretty low. i aim for over 110g per day.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Protein intake should be no greater than 35% of your daily intake so... figure out this and use to your benefit!!! Also, be careful which protein and portion. I weigh protein as 4-6 ounces is not much!! Also, I love grilled salmon but it is high in fat and calories. I tend to eat a lot of shrimp - very low calories for a protein.
  • jrobinson143
    jrobinson143 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer about this and he said it was ok especially since I'm working out. The carbs and sugar you don't want too high since they can pack on the pounds if your body doesn't need it all for energy.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    that protein goal is way too low. dont worry about it. i eat 119-150 protein a day. good protein sources are what you want.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Protein intake should be no greater than 35% of your daily intake so... figure out this and use to your benefit!!! Also, be careful which protein and portion. I weigh protein as 4-6 ounces is not much!! Also, I love grilled salmon but it is high in fat and calories. I tend to eat a lot of shrimp - very low calories for a protein.

What is your source for this information?
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely bump up that protein to at least 1g per LB bodyweight, otherwise you'll not only lose fat but muscle too.
  • Pumatyger
    Pumatyger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and bars are a good way to up your protein intake. My target is 89 Protein in a day and I crushed 83 from breakfast alone today. Egg substitute and Steak in the morning, plus a protein shake, and some peanut butter toast~
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely bump up that protein to at least 1g per LB bodyweight, otherwise you'll not only lose fat but muscle too.

^^^^ ditto to this.

I have found that increasing my protein has helped make me feel fuller for longer too.
  • RMurrell2
    RMurrell2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can change your goals in the My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom. My split is 30% fat 40% protein and 30% carbs. We all know that there is a lot of contradicting information online, but I did read that you want to consume one gram of protein per pound of your ideal/goal body weight.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that my minimum protein intake should match my weight in kilograms. (or, if you aren't already at a healthy weight, then your ideal weight). So my minimum is 50 something grams of protein a day (I am short!!) but I always go over. If I was using the formula of 1g of protein per 1 lb of body fat then my minimum would be 120ish... but I have a difficult time hitting that number. So i aim in between them!

The thoughts and opinions about protein vary widely on this site. BUT, it seems to be a commonly accepted fact that MFP's protein goal is too low! So, if you are eating about 60 grams of protein a day... you are probably fine. I personally, would recommend going higher.
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    JessicaJoanJarvis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer about this and he said it was ok especially since I'm working out. The carbs and sugar you don't want too high since they can pack on the pounds if your body doesn't need it all for energy.

only if you are eating above TDEE