How fast do you run?

Options
I'm kindly seeking some responses from petite ladies only. Say 5'5" and under. How fast do you run on the treadmill? And, how long are you able to keep the pace?

Also, if you don't mind sharing your height and your weight with me, if you don't want to post it here, could you PM me?

Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I've just recently been getting into running this past month, and I've never been into running in the past, so I'm working my way up... but for the time being I've been able to do a 1/2 mile for 6 minutes straight at 5.0mph. I'm only 5 feet and 126 pounds.
  • eecrowley10
    Options
    i am 5'5" and i weigh 135 lbs. when i am on the treadmill, i usually do a brisk walk holding 3-5 lb weights and then a steady jogging pace-say 3.5 mph? i usually run for about 15-20 minutes. if you would rather run faster, don't feel bad about not being able to run for very long, and maybe start at a slower pace and work up to it. i hope this helps!
  • greerv72
    greerv72 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am 5'1 and currently weigh about 120 lbs, give or take a couple. I run at a speed of either 6.0 (10-minute mile) or 6.2, and run between 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 miles, depending on the day and how I feel.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running:
    5.5mph for over an hour

Outside running:
    10:00 min/mile (on average, but it's been getting faster) for over an hour

I'm 5'4" and 155 pounds, but I've also been running since last June. I've run three 5Ks and one 10K so far. I'm going to start training for a half marathon the first of August, which I will run in late October.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i am 5'5" and i weigh 135 lbs. when i am on the treadmill, i usually do a brisk walk holding 3-5 lb weights and then a steady jogging pace-say 3.5 mph? i usually run for about 15-20 minutes. if you would rather run faster, don't feel bad about not being able to run for very long, and maybe start at a slower pace and work up to it. i hope this helps!

Hmm... 3.5mph is a walking pace for me. I'm 5'3" and 158lbs. I've never been a runner but I'm doing 30 sec intervals at 6mph and doing about 5-6 intervals mixed with walking for 2mins in between at 3.5mph. I have a small heart condition that causes my heart to be more excitable than a normal person's heart and I'm REALLY getting exhausted with running. My heart rate gets near 190 after only running at 5-6mph for 30 secs-1min. I think it may be my heart that is limiting me in my efforts and I should check up with my cardiologist. I was just curious what other people close to my height were able to run. I just feel awkward running with my short little legs. Even at a jogging pace.

Thanks for the replies so far.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    As long as you're being safe and active (to whatever extent you can), I say not to worry about time or speed. You're doing great! Plus, intervals are really supposed to help you lose weight.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    As long as you're being safe and active (to whatever extent you can), I say not to worry about time or speed. You're doing great! Plus, intervals are really supposed to help you lose weight.

Thanks! I'm not worried about running as fast as I can... although it's important for interval training! I just can't keep up a steady pace while running without really skyrocketing my heart rate and becoming overly exhausted.

I'm jealous of those that hop on next to me and run @ a pretty good clip for 30mins to an hour!!

In any case, I think I better have my heart rechecked. It's either my heart or I'm just not built for running!
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started running in early 2006. Back then, I ran 5.4 mph for about 5 minutes, then walked, then ran again, etc. for about 30 minutes. I remember seeing a woman getting on the treadmill in front of me "power walking" at 5.5 mph. I couldn't believe she was walking fast than I was running!

Since then, I have run 6 half marathons and 1 full marathon. I vary my runs from day to day, but I normally set the treadmill at 6.4 (9:22 min/mile) for longer runs, and 6.7 (8:57 min/mile) for four miles or less.

Don't worry about where you're starting out, just keep with it. Through high school and college, I never ever thought I would be able to even run a mile without stopping, but now I can't imagine not running! Your speed will increase as you get more fit and can go for longer distances.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I did 1.5 miles last night outside at a 9:07 pace. I probably could have went up to 2 miles, but it was nasty muggy outside.

Guess I'll try again Thursday.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    depends on what is chasing me!:wink:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5", I run in 3 minute intervals, {1 -fast walk, 2 -running} I start out walking at 4.0, running at 6.2 mph and work my way up to 8.5mph
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running, so I'm definitely not up to running a few miles at a time. But I'm 5'3" and at 171 lbs right now. I run at 4.8 mph doing intervals of a few minutes running and a few minutes walking at 3.8 mph. Right now my best interval was running for 5 minutes, but my intervals are usually 3 min run/3 min walk. I'm working my way up to running longer so I try to push myself one interval per session to see how long I can go. I can't run faster than 5.0 yet, it tires me out too fast and I don't have a steady stride down yet.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I started with couch to 5k last year, and have not really stuck with it, but have stuck with running. I'm 5'2" and range from 127 to 129 depending on water intake right now. I can do treadmill running at 5mph for half an hour if it's not hot in the room. I've been running outside for the summer, and this morning it was cooler out, so I did 18-20 minutes at 4.5 mph (the speed I am normally at). It's been really hot lately, so I haven't had as much stamina.

edit - I can't run much faster comfortably with my short legs, so I understand. my heart rate gets up to about 180 after about 5 min of running (resting is in the 70s) and stay there while I am running, when I take a break and walk it'll drop into the 150s. my goal is extending my length of time running but walking if I can't run. I generally do 3-4 miles a day but do longer ones if I have time. I try to at least run half the distance.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5", I run in 3 minute intervals, {1 -fast walk, 2 -running} I start out walking at 4.0, running at 6.2 mph and work my way up to 8.5mph

Running at 8.5! :noway: I'm 5'5", 185 or so. I started at 4.8, can now run at about 5.3 for a bit. At 7.0 I am sprinting my heart out! At 8.5 I'd be dead! :laugh:
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and weigh 128 lbs. I have been running for about 10 years but have just begun interval training on the treadmill. I begin with a slow jog at 6.2 for a 5-minute warmup. I then alternate at 7.2 for 3-minute intervals then back down to 6.5 for 2 minutes and alternate these for 30 minutes. Hope this is helpful and good luck with your running!
  • jennyjennjen72985
    jennyjennjen72985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been working my way up for about a month now (exercising for MUCH longer than that). I am 5'5 and currently 165 pounds. I warm up at 3.5 mph for about 3 mins and then jog 4.8 mph for as long as I can. Everyday I try to bump it a couple of mins. Right now I am up to 20 mins without stopping. Once I reach my max (never shorter than the day before) I bring it back down to 3.5 mph and walk at an incline for another 5-10 mins. Slowly work your way up. I think 6mph is a little intense, especially if you have a minor heart condition. I also have heart trouble, so that is why I have been slowly working my way up. I don't like my heart rate to go above 175, so once I start feeling exhausted I bring it down. You will be surprised at how fast your body is conditioned, so don't feel frustrated that you don't run as far/fast as you think you should at first. I think you should try 4.5 mph for 3 mins then walk 2 then repeat. Work your way up to running longer and walking less. Don't push yourself too hard because you will get frustrated and not want to do it everyday. I am ridiculously proud of my 20 mins, so keep it up!! Good luck!