Elliptical Issue? Burning feet?

Options
Hey everyone!

I think I am pretty well in shape running on the elliptical now, I can do a mile and not be winded at all, and could probably go longer...however, my feet start to burn (friction) so bad, and its painful!! Any suggestions on how to fix this so I can do more without feeling like my feet are going to start on fire? Thanks all!

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    Is it the pads of your feet, up right underneath your toes?!?
  • inforsey
    inforsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to get a pins and needles sensation on the elliptical. And what was causing it for me was the lacing on my shoes. It was too tight. I had the same sensation running after 10 + miles. If it's a pins and needles sensation, try loosening the laces on the tops of your sneakers right down through to the toes. tie them so they barely stay on. This helped me big time.Hope it helps you!

In health,
    -i.
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i've had a similar expeience. i think loosening your laces might help, but for the most part it's from your feet not moving for so long. All the blood is travelling more quickly through your body because you're working out, but it's getting a bit stuck in your feet because it's the lowest point in your body and your feet are not moving much. try going backwards for a while, maybe it will put pressure in a slightly different place. Also, it's not the end of the world if you pause, get off the machine, and shake your legs out a bit.

the eliptical is a great machine because it's much easier on your joints, but it's not necessarily a natural motion to do for extended periods of time.
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too! I am going to try and loosen my laces too and see what happens. Nice to know that it happens to other people too!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I bought cheap insoles for my shoes because I've been having the same problem, and they seem to be working great! They make fabric and hard gel ones that go in the area right under the pads of your feet. They've helped out quite a bit because my feet start burning even after just walking on the treadmill for a while. I've loosened up my shoes, and I've still had problems!
  • ReneeStephen
    ReneeStephen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's a known problem with elliptical trainers, the way they hold your feet isn't really all that ergonomic and how bad it is depends upon your height/stride length. Some of them have adjustable foot-pads that you can elevate; check to see if yours does! It will make a huge difference.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, its not pins and needles but burning as you describe. What I found best to do is take a break of at least 5 mins .... I go right to the stationary bike and make sure I am using just my heels to peddle. This allows me to go on again. Mine start to really burn about the 20 min mark.