Hrm

Options
Hi

Just wondered if you could answer me a question I have been using a pedometer to track my walking for a while now but I got myself a hrm yesterday I used it to walk for 37 mins today and it said I burnt 436 cals I also wore my pedometer and that only said 162! which one do you think is correct?

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hello Heidi,

Make sure you input the correct details of your height and weight into your HRM device.

Whilst none of these devices are 100% accurate, a HRM is always more likely to be more accurate than pedometers, fit bits, fuelbands etc.

467 calories seems quiet high to me, but it depends on how much effort you had to put in to this walk.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I only got my hrm the other day so not very experienced either, but for comparison it said I burned 300kcal for around 30min very brisk walk while I was pushing 30lb toddler in a stroller in strong wind :-). It was a tough walk. I'd go with the hrm presuming you've set up your age and weight correctly.
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Options
    I'd expect to see after a 30 min run having burnt over 400 cals - can't see this with a walk to be honest
  • Darmonatrix
    Options
    more thn likely the walk. unless you are walking at like 5mp for longer. it'll totally depend on your body weight and height.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What brand is it and does it have a chest strap? I think that number is high but may not be far off depending on ow fast you were walking. If you get your heart rate high enough you can burn more calories.

I ran for an our today at 6mph and burned just over 1000 calories going just over my target heart rate.
  • heidi1906
    heidi1906 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies I was walking fast and my heart rate was up high. It is a sportline one that I got.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if you wore a pedometer, a Polar FT4 and a more expensive, supposedly more accurate Polar FT40, you would come out with three wildly different calculations.

The solution I suggest and the one that worked for me, is to ditch them all and just enjoy your workouts and then adjust your food intake and P, C and F components according to whether you need to lose, maintain or gain weight over a number of weeks and soon you will be steadily going where you need to go without gadgets.

HRM = too many variables to ever be accurate.