Anyone here with diagnoses of autoimmune and fighting?

Options
I'm just curious if anyone here has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease such as hypothyroidism or arthritis and you're fighting to lose? I have both diagnoses. I'm significantly overweight and am fighting fighting fighting. The last couple of days have been so difficult. I feel like giving up because I'm beginning to hurt really bad. I'm trying to push through. I keep looking at the before/after pics to help me. If you have a success story to share and are in a similar situation, I welcome your thoughts. Please send me a friend request if you fit this description so we can encourage one another.

Replies

• HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I've had hypothyroidism for 6 years, due to years of starving myself skinny. I've been trying since the end of January to lose weight, and although I've lost 14Ibs, my body refuses to lose anymore. It's so disheartening when the scale, or measuring tape number doesn't change. At the moment I'm managing to maintain my weight, which I've never had before, and the only thing keeping me going is the fact I don't want to go back to my old ways. I guess that's what everyone needs to keep in mind when they have moments like this, is that right now we are eating healthier and feeling a lot better - other than body aches from exercise lol Feel free to add me! :)
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi Groovyreba! I have Chronic Fatigue , fibromyalgia, Raynoud's Syndrome and more. In 2008, I had cellulitis in both legs and feet and was bed-bound for 8 weeks and couldn't do much standing or walking for over a year. I gained over 30 lbs. and have had a hard time getting it off and keeping it off. I am good with my foods and like to eat healthy but just don't get enough exercise and, when I finally get myself building up my exercise, I get sick and then am back to square one. I also have asthma and have had to be on Prednisone which also adds on pounds.

Being a nurse and also having CFIDS/Fibro, it is MHO that those of us with physical ailments need to start any exercise program slowly and gradually build up. I know for me that over-doing or pushing through pain sets me back. It can be a tricky balance because we will have some pain/discomfort using muscles we haven't used in a while but overdoing it can cause a flare. A few years back I lost 18 lbs., due to illness and lack of exercise (and Prednisone) I put 10 back on. During the weight loss period, I did get up to 40-50 minutes walking a day and other days I would do a 30 minute exercise tape. I started VERY slowly...only 3-5 minutes a day. After 4-5 days, I would add 1-2 minutes. I felt like a slacker, especially seeing others doing Insanity or Boot Camp workouts, but it worked for me...gradually got to 40-50 minutes with little pain :) So you can do it too!! It is also important to find exercises that agree with you. For me walking and dancing to exercise tapes are good, for some with arthritis swimming is great. So try different exercises to see what you like and what agrees with your body.

I'm actually getting back to logging in, was sick for a few weeks. It has also been a rough year as my husband separated from me last June when moving to a new home and my Dad (who is 93) has had two operations in 4 months. I've been sick more than normal from the stress but do find when I exercise that it helps the stress so I'm getting back on track. Feel free to send a friend request!! Joy
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am Hypo, Diabetic and Arthritis. I do take anti depressants for the Hypo. They seem to help the pain and the mood. I would encourage you to check into that if you haven't. Depression is a symptom of hypo. It is harder to lose weight but it can be done. I focus mostly now on learning to eat healthy, exercise more and trying to feel well. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to friend me if you like, we are in the same boat.
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    yep, ankylosing spondylitis, seronegative arthritis everywhere and just started anti-tnf. Slowly, slowly, slowly and accept it is going to take time, but NEVER GIVE UP. Maintaining is better for your joints than gaining and any loss at all is a win. Add me if you'd like.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis (autoimmune issues), pcos (hormone issues) and Psoriatic Arthritis(Like Rheumatoid but affect your toes,feet, ankles, spine, hip and there is a 10% chance it will affect my hands). I'm 33 years old. Ugh. Something I have found out recently is is that I am gluten sensitive. I highly suggest you look into it if you have an autoimmune issue and arthritis to see if you have any other symptoms. I wrote this earlier this week:

Recent studies have shown that it is estimated around 30%- 50% of the population could have some form or a gluten sensitivity. It is way too early to tell at this point as their are not many tests to find out. The best way to find out are with a AGA-IgA and the AGG-IgG blood test. I have it and didn't know for the last 33 years! Here are the symptoms which I have 90% of them.

Diarrhea and/or constipation
    Abdominal pain and/or heartburn
    Bloating
    Fatigue
    Brain fog
    Anemia
    Joint pain
    Rashes
    Depression and/or anxiety
    Weight gain weight loss and
    Inability to lose weight
    Inability to gain weight
    Teeth problems (yellow and frequent cavities even when you brush and floss all the time)
    Psoriasis, eczema, hives or skin rashes
    Missed periods (seems to be more prevalent in pcos women too)
    Being super itchy

Elevated AGA-IgG levels are found in about 10% of the overall population, and frequently are seen in other autoimmune diseases, such as type 1 diabetes, autoimmune thyroid disease, autoimmune hepatitis, and inflammatory bowel diseases. This study is only estimates 10% of the population simply because the rest of the 20-40% are unaware they have the sensitivity and have not been tested for it.

Some people think its because of how processed wheat is these days and the types of strains we have verses the types that were unadulterated we ate 100 years ago. Every single time I eat gluten I gain 3-4 pound overnight. I still eat it as I am a baker but limiting it has helped me dramatically with weight loss and my energy levels. At this point if I do eat a large amount of gluten I feel so bad and have such an energy dip I can barely keep my eyes open for a few hours, I get a flare up with my psoriasis, constipation, I get SUPER itchy and my stomach hurts.

I guess a lot of people think "carbs are bad" and the only diet that works for them is Adkins. People, its NOT the carbs, its the gluten!!!! Carbs are actually good for you! You can still have rice, potatoes and even gluten free baked goods! Trust me on this. Try it for a week. I have psoriasis and within a week of cutting out the gluten it got like 70% better. It almost disappeared! What can it hurt?

So yes, gluten free or low gluten diets can help with weight loss if you have the sensitivity.

Sources:
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/How-Many-People-Have-Gluten-Sensitivity.htm
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Gluten-Allergy-Symptoms.htm
    http://gluten.lovetoknow.com/Gluten_Intolerance_and_Losing_Weight
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/Gluten-Sensitivity-Testing.htm
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/hypothyroidism 12 years ago, & have done a lot of research over the years. One thing you might want to check is that MANY doctors are using out-dated recommended levels for their patients. It used to be they wanted you to have a TSH level of between 0.5-5.0, Then it was changed to 0.27-4.2, then just a few years ago to 0.3-2.0. Different labs use different recommended levels. But the endocrinologist who wrote "Thyroid for Dummies" believes a more therapeutic level would be 0.5-2.5, so the level to shoot for (although you can only get so close) is 1.5. Remember the higher your level, the more you need to INCREASE your meds to bring the level down. A high level means your body senses it's not getting enough meds & needs to try to make more on its own, but can't. Also many doctors believe that you can have subclinical hypothyroidism, where your levels are ok, but you are having symptoms & need the meds.

So if your levels are out of whack, or if they're ok, but you're still having symptoms....dry skin, dry/brittle hair, fatigue, weight gain IN SPITE OF a healthy diet & exercise...then talk to your doctor about your meds. I think most doctors, if you explain your symptoms & ask them about it, wouldn't be adverse to trying a change in meds to see if you feel better.

BUT you do NOT want to get more meds than you need, or it could lead to osteoporosis. In the early 1900's some women took the meds as a weight loss aid, but this is NOT healthy.

I'm no doctor, just telling you my experience & what I've heard from friends' experiences. So definitely talk to your doctor about your treatment, don't try to make any changes on your own.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if anyone here has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease such as hypothyroidism or arthritis and you're fighting to lose? I have both diagnoses. I'm significantly overweight and am fighting fighting fighting. The last couple of days have been so difficult. I feel like giving up because I'm beginning to hurt really bad. I'm trying to push through. I keep looking at the before/after pics to help me. If you have a success story to share and are in a similar situation, I welcome your thoughts. Please send me a friend request if you fit this description so we can encourage one another.

I have Hashimoto's - autoimmune hypothyroidism. I feel your pain. I now have msotly good days and only some bad days here and there, but it's been an 11 year roller coaster ride to get here. I just recently, within the last 2 months, pulled myself out of my worst to date hypo swing after a 3 week hyper swing that left me dazed and confused. I also have severe autoimmune gluten intolerance and AI intolerance to casein...so even if my thyroid issue isn't acting up, eating wrong can throw me overboard so to speak and send my thryoid disease raging again.

It's not easy, but you have to keep pushing and being good to your body, even when it isn't good to you. Love yourself enough to know that you deserve to get healthy and feel good inside about the person on the outside. Are you working with a Dr. to get meds figured out as far as which one works for you and the right dosage? I could make suggestions as far as thyroid meds go, but not so much for arthritis. I can also help with nutrition, just let me know.. :)

Hang in there!!!
    xoxo Sara
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have several of these issues not to mention knots in my back. I do not have a problem losing weight in fact I can lose very nicely (30 lbs since January and at goal weight), my problem is if I do not keep a real close eye on things, I will put it back on just as quickly. It has to stay a main focus in my life. Nothing I can do about the Raynaud's and it sometimes gets worse when im skinny as there is less fat to protect but the rest get much better when im eating healthy and exercising.

I do not take any meds except once in a while Tylenol for the discomfort, but I have learned if I watch my fat intake I do better. Carbs do not mess with me so I am less concerned about them. I think the best thing anyone can do is play with their diet. See if you lower carbs or fat or sodium if things go better. Everyone is different so it is hard to tell which might help. Since I have IBS fats tend to give me much discomfort, so my dr said to lower it. Oh I still eat some of those fat filled things but I do pay for it.

The best advice I can give is talk to your dr and a nutritionist about your issues and see if they can help you work out the best daily diet for you.
  • vrjk223
    vrjk223 Posts: 1
    Options
    I Have a disease very similiar to MS and also have arthritis. I have been trying to lose weight for a year now and have lost 50 lbs. I had lost 60lbs but the weather has kept me from exercising as much. I understand the pain issue. On the bad days I don't exercise and on the good days I exercise as normal. With my disease I just have to understand I will have setbacks but I also know through experience I can do it. Don't lose hope!!
  • Caitable
    Caitable Posts: 14
    Options
    Dysautonomia here with Orthostatic Hypotension, POTS and CFS (type symptoms) as the presentation. You have you go slowly, make lifestyle changes not just quick fixes.
  • deboralena
    deboralena Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have severe ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, trigeminal neuralgia an endometriosis.
    I am bed bound a lot of the time and have carers to help me with everyday tasks. Therefore I am unable to exercise and due to a combination of this and medication I have put on 4 stone in 4 years.

It is so difficult losing weight with dieting alone. Without exercise it's really hard, although I have found stress helps :wink:

I am happy to say I have lost over a stone in the last 6 weeks. Long may it continue :happy:
  • MrsStrom725
    MrsStrom725 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Psoriasis, vitiligo and arthritis, with a healthy does of EPP thrown in for good measure! Haha!

Have you gone on an autoimmune protocol yet? I'd recommend Chriskresser.com and Marksdailyapple.com or Robbwolf.com for help. Good luck!
  • hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in general agreement with many of the other respondents: easy does it. Don't expect to do any high-intensity exercise. Opt for walking instead of jogging, exercise in a pool if you can, etc. Ask your rheumatologist if you're not sure about your exercise regimen.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have hypothyroidism, PCOS and rheumatoid arthritis. I've been steadily losing weight since I joined in January 2012 and work out regularly but sensibly. Recently I've hit a bit of a plateau so will be looking into auto immune friendly diets in the hope of getting things moving again. Friend request me if you would like support or feel you could help :flowerforyou:
  • sarcosis1
    sarcosis1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and Raynauds. For a long time I struggled with my weight and just kept gaining and not knowing why! It was very frustrating! I am now on medication for my thyroid and I have lost a lot of weight since.
    My mother has Sjogrens syndrome, which is also autoimmune and she is struggling with her weight too. Autoimmune diseases run in my family unfortunately.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Fibromyalgia and Psoriasis here. Not having trouble losing but my psoriasis seems to be getting worse. Fibromyalgia symptoms are actually under control since I started exercising on a regular basis. I was diagnosed with low thyroid a few years ago but it wasn't very much below normal so I'm not sure those test results were accurate. I lost a lot more weight on my own than I did when I was on synthroid. I took myself off of that almost 2 years ago bc it made me sun sensitive. Sun sensitivity and psoriasis don't mix!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Not all hypothyroidism is autoimmune.

But yes, I have Hashimoto's, which is the autoimmune thyroid disease.

I've been diagnosed for almost 19 years. I still struggle with my meds, and recently (within the last year) changed to a med that has both T3 and T4, instead of just synthroid, which only has T3. It's made a huge difference for me.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Kind of, yes. I have an Autonomic Nervous System disorder known as POTS..postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It's been pretty under control with diet and exercise, but I'm not having any luck at losing any weight. I have chronically low Vitamin D, but I don't think that is really an overall factor.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Tthanks so much everyone. It helps to know others are there. Right now I feel like crap and wonder about hashimotos as I'm on a roller coaster. My last lab TSH was 3. I think that's still too high for me.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think that 3 is too high, especially if you're having problems. Maybe see if your doctor thinks you might benefit from increasing your dose a bit & see how you feel then. Hope you can figure it out & feel better soon. :-(