Sketcher Shape ups

Options
Ok I would like some personal opinions of these tennis shoes from those who have them. I have done the research on the internet,read reviews and tried them on in the store. But I am asking for MFP peeps to tell me what they think. I do a lot of walking in general beside my three times a week walks. All opinions welcome - they are about $100.00 so I want real advice/opinions.
Thanks for help!

Replies

• debwilson
    debwilson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to spend $100.00 on these, but found a "Knock off" pair at Payless. I only use these when I walk. They sure take some getting use to and because of the way I walk I am wearing the inside of one of the soles more than the other. At first I loved them, but now when I walk I am having some back issues and not sure if it is because of the shoes or some other issue.

What I would suggest is trying the cheaper brand and finding out for your self.
  • tattooaddict
    Options
    i have seen in the news they do nothing extra that regular shoes do..
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I readin Prevention magazine that any result you can get from those shoes is very minimal...not sure I'd spend $100 on very minimal results...
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i got mine on sale at their website a couple months ago. do not wear them for five hours the first day! lol went walking and neglected to take them off when i got home. i was sore for 2 days... i didn't really feel anything the first time out until that evening when my quads started complaining and were joined by the back leg muscles and glutes. when i did go out the next time i could feel it in the backs of my legs. i just use them for my morning walk and when i go grocery shopping, now that i've 'worked' my way up to it and we're used to each other!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I hear Avon has some and they're cheaper than the Sketchers.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Okay... so no one else but the woman I worked with that raved over her husband's hind end shaping up and my daughter's head turns (which she did not get before) and even myself have been told I had a nice rump (hadn't heard that since I was in my 20's)... :blushing: My daughter and I have had our shoes since last Christmas and wear them constantly. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned and just love them. :heart: I own 2 pairs and feel they are well worth it for the comfort - the side effects of compliments are nice too. :flowerforyou:
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    I got them and was disappointed. I have arthritis in every major joint and in my left big toe, and the shoes make me put a lot of pressure on my toes when I walk. After about an hour in these shoes, my toe arthritis hurts so bad that I can not walk normally for 2 days.
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I wear them especially when at the gym. Don't know about the firming part however they are awesome on the treadmill and elliptical. Great support for my feet and calves. I wore them to walk across NYC from Central park to Grand Central Station and my back was not killing me like it would have been in normal shoes. I just find them more comfortable because of the major cushion in the soles. Yes they take some getting used to when walking and let me tell you they won't let you drag your feet. I would buy another pair when these wear out.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My sister bought me some Dr. Scholl's fitness walkers (they were onsale at Sears, she had a coupon and there ended up less than $20!).

I workout. Like 5 days a week, at least for an hour each day. I wore them to run errands and to take the dog for a walk. I was skeptical. But the next day, my calves and quads were SORE! This was just a little over a week ago. So I do wear them to run errands and for walks. I ended up taking them instead of my regular sneakers (by mistake) when we went on a trip. I had no choice (other than to NOT work out and that was NOT an option) but to wear them to the fitness center at the hotel. I used them on the elliptical and to WALK on the treadmill. It was fine on the elliptical but felt akward on the treadmill.

That being said, they are not meant to take the place of actually working out. They are just to help you tone when you go about your day. My dad wears his to work -- he is a medical assistant and constantly on his feet. He just bought another pair to wear on the weekends.

Just my experience....
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My sister bought me some Dr. Scholl's fitness walkers (they were onsale at Sears, she had a coupon and there ended up less than $20!).

I workout. Like 5 days a week, at least for an hour each day. I wore them to run errands and to take the dog for a walk. I was skeptical. But the next day, my calves and quads were SORE! This was just a little over a week ago. So I do wear them to run errands and for walks. I ended up taking them instead of my regular sneakers (by mistake) when we went on a trip. I had no choice (other than to NOT work out and that was NOT an option) but to wear them to the fitness center at the hotel. I used them on the elliptical and to WALK on the treadmill. It was fine on the elliptical but felt akward on the treadmill.

That being said, they are not meant to take the place of actually working out. They are just to help you tone when you go about your day. My dad wears his to work -- he is a medical assistant and constantly on his feet. He just bought another pair to wear on the weekends.

Just my experience....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have two pair (one to keep clean and one to wear when I walk the dogs and do stuff in the yard)......i wear them for my three line dances classes......I love them.....they make me feel light on my feet, I walk faster, and feel like walking more when I'm wearing them......they are the greatest shoes I've ever owned.....I don't know if they do all the stuff that the ads promise but I walk more because I have them and that is a bonus. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I wear them all the time and they feel great.
  • RunLizzieRun
    Options
    I bought another brand called Avia Avimotion. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on them either, and was lucky to find them at Costco (in Canada) for $49.99. They are very comfortable, and I wear them when I do my errands around town.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My sister likes hers. She has two pair. The regular pair she wears around home and she's a bartender at Buffalo Wild Wings and wears the non-skid version while she's working. She said she noticed that her pants fit differently now, and she's been using them for quite awhile.

there are a lot of knock of brands of this shoe now. Dr. Scholl's even has a version "Dr. Scholl's Women's Inspire Fitness Walker", which are half the price of the Sketchers version.

My mom has the Reebok Easy Tone shoes which she said they make her feel like she's walking in wet sand, she wears them every where, and really thinks they are helping with her posture & leg strength. That and they don't have that horrid curve of the Sketchers Shape Ups, so they don't make your feet feel as awkward.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair over 6 months ago and wear them quite a lot, but never for exercise.

The week or two before I bought them, I walked for 10 hours straight on pavement in my regular shoes and wasn't the least bit tired or sore the next day. But after buying the Shape-ups, I went to a home show and walked around for only 2 hours. The back of my thighs were sore after only 2 hours!

I bought them because I think they are cute. I was really surprised that they actually gave me some muscle fatigue (in a good way). And I get a lot of compliments and people stopping to ask me, "Are those the Stretcher Shape Ups?" and "Do they work?". My chiropractor was all excited to see me wearing them too. Apparently, they are good for the posture.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :love: I absolutely love mine! They are everything barbiecat said , without a doubt the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I wear them at least half a day every day. They are the prefect thing for days that are full of errands with no time for dedicated exercise. I never shop or spend lots of time on my feet without them!

Without a doubt, Shapeups made a huge difference in my behind. As a matter of fact a few months after I stated wearing them I was bending over the sink brushing my teeth in nothing but the terry wrap I wear just out of the shower when hubby walked by, patted my rump and said, "Looks like those high dollar shoes were sure worth it! Your bottom doesn't look like cottage cheese anymore." He now affectionately calls them my "butt shoes."

Everyone I've talked to to who bought "something similar" were disappointed.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I was having issues with foot and back pain in college, I went to a podiatrist. According to him, one of my problems was that I had been wearing Skechers brand tennis shoes for years. He recommended New Balance's tennis shoes and said that Skechers had horrible arch support and were just bad in general. With that in mind, I've avoided the Shape Ups--the whole idea seemed gimmicky anyway--and tried to talk two of my coworkers out of getting them, but they decided to get them anyway and now they're regretting it. One of them, an obese woman, is now having horrible sciatica problems that she's never had before. The other, a fit woman, is now having problems with pain in her hips and legs. They both think that the issues are because of the Shape Ups. So if I were you, I wouldn't get them...just do some old fashioned toning and whatnot at the gym or something if possible. :)
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Well, I am more confused than ever. Some love them - some hate them. I work out alot - currently doing Power 90. The shoes were mainly to help me because I do walk alot. I have new balance and they are fine but it's time for a new pair and I just thought I would try the shape ups. I guess I will do some more research. Thanks everyone!!!
  • inforsey
    inforsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have them for comfort.. and they are comfortable. I have plantar fasciitis from years of running and high heel wearing. My ortho-tech recommended them (with insoles) for comfort. I have been wearing them since March. I do not notice any difference except the comfort factor. However, if I walk in them the way the DVD that comes with the shoes tells me to walk in them at a quick pace with my dog, I do notice the little ache in the backs of my legs some people are describing. However, I do not normally walk that way, so it is not a habit for me and feels kind of awkward to do it. I think if you followed the DVD and walked as they tell you to do, you would get more of the burning feeling people are describing.

ETA:
    Stick with the PX90.. you're likely to get way more results from that than a dingy pair of sneakers, no matter what brand you buy. :-)
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Well - just an update. I bought them when they went on sale. With sale price and coupon I got them for about $75.00. I have walked in them 5 times as of last night. They DO take some getting used too. They definitly feel different - and - I walk different in them. (felt a little off balance at first) But, after geting used to them - I really like them. I am only using them for walking. I have my other shoes for step class and running. But when I put the other shoes on - they feel funny now. I really like the shape-ups - so I am glad that I got them. Thanks to everyone who gave me their opinion.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Glad you're happy with them.