How to increase my burn in the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Again, like everyone else said it doesn't matter. BUT, I have some tricks for when I'm "leaning out" for a vacation.

I do cardio bursts between sets, like I'll do 20 high knees, or 15 reps of kettlebell swings, or I'll take very small rest periods, like 30 seconds tops, between sets. Also, I like to superset exercises, so I have probably 5 seconds between sets.

Are you trying to lose weight? If so, check this out, it might be a program to try - it is basically how I prep for a vacation a few weeks in advance. I don't recommend this long term, especially if you're trying to build muscle, but if you'd like to get a little jump start it might be a fun little workout to work in there once a week or so.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/six-week-shred-torch-fat-with-hiit-100s.html
  • kaylakaminski
    Options
    compound lifts for upper body:
    bench press- i do the basic laying all the way down version- supine bench press
    bor- bent over rows
    over head press

I always do bench press! But I will add bent over rows and over head press! Thanks so much!

And for the above poster, thanks for the link - I will check it out. I am trying to lose a bit of weight - or should I say - fat. I don't care what the number on the scale eventually says, but I want to be measurement-wise smaller and hard!
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Do more unstable exercises, then, like bench press on a Swiss ball, or one-legged standing exercises (like curls or shoulder press standing on one leg, then add only one arm at a time, close your eyes, etc). Do your lat pull-downs from a squat position (instead of sitting on the seat); for legs, go lateral (like lateral lunges, diagonal reverse lunges, etc) and make sure you're incorporating jumps and full-body exercises like burpees..... Work in all planes (rotational, side) for more dynamic and functional exercises that will keep your heartrate up and really challenge you.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Do more unstable exercises, then, like bench press on a Swiss ball, or one-legged standing exercises (like curls or shoulder press standing on one leg, then add only one arm at a time, close your eyes, etc). Do your lat pull-downs from a squat position (instead of sitting on the seat); for legs, go lateral (like lateral lunges, diagonal reverse lunges, etc) and make sure you're incorporating jumps and full-body exercises like burpees..... Work in all planes (rotational, side) for more dynamic and functional exercises that will keep your heartrate up and really challenge you.
    This is great advice as an accessory way of training, or for rehab or sport specific. But should never be a focus. Instability causes primary drivers to shut down. Not being able to fully engage means no overload and ability to break down the muscle. Thus no growth and strengthening from rest. Which is the entire point of resistance training in the first place.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just get your calorie deficit through food? Or run for 10 minutes after lifting or some light cardio. Or cardio on the days you're not lifting if you really want to get "heart pumping" stuff in. I would kind of see heavy lifting and massive amounts of cardio as counter productive. You want to be putting in all your energy in your sets....correct me if I'm wrong.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone is actually NOT bs at all...
    it's not bs in that it exists. it is bs in that it should be a target zone to train in if your goal is fat loss..

here's why. do you know if you sit on your *kitten* all day and bum around, your body will burn NOTHING but fat? Thats right, if the fuel source of activity mattered at all, then the sit around on your *kitten* all day exercise program should be the best one ever since it does nothing but burn through your fat stores.

So why does the zone not matter? So you spend a good amount of time trying to stay in your fat burning zone. Good for you. Then you eat anything, and it goes right back into filling those same fat stores.

This is why the fuel source of exercise means squat. And why the goal is to be burning as many calories as possible. The better you can make a deficit, the better your fat loss will be.

On top of this, assuming you do correctly calculate your fat burning zone (most are wildly inaccurate) - assuming you burn 50% of calories from fat while in the fat burning zone, you are working at a lower intensity. If you up the intensity and the rate drops to 35%, you are burning far more calories in the same amount of time or less so even at the lower % from fat, you are still burning more calories from fat in the end.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just get your calorie deficit through food? Or run for 10 minutes after lifting or some light cardio. Or cardio on the days you're not lifting if you really want to get "heart pumping" stuff in. I would kind of see heavy lifting and massive amounts of cardio as counter productive. You want to be putting in all your energy in your sets....correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

You are not wrong.

So, then, what is right?

Oopsie...clearly it's time to get to bed. I thought you said "you are wrong". :laugh:
  • peachypants
    peachypants Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    By working your large muscle groups (your legs) while working your arms your heart rate will go up while weight training. Try getting in a squat while doing bicep curls. Or going down into a squat and coming up with an over-head press. Or rows while in a partial lunge position keeping all your weight on your front leg.
    If your sound anything laying on your back (like presses or flys) lift your butt off the ground so your working your glutes while your arms are working.
    I always try and keep my hr up no matter if I'm strength training or doing cardio. Inalqay like circuit training and doing a few sets of weights followed by a burst of high-intensity cardio. That way your hr is already up while weight training.
    Good luck to you!