Favorite Food - Healthy Alternatives

Options
I am curious as to what your favorite Healthier alternatives to your favorite foods are?
Growing up in the south, everything is Fried lol
So My favorite Healthy alternative is
BACON:
Regular slice of my favorite pork bacon: 180 calories per slice
Turkey Bacon: 35 calories for 2 slices (And you cant even tell the difference taste wise)

What are some of yours?
:)

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am curious as to what your favorite Healthier alternatives to your favorite foods are?
    Growing up in the south, everything is Fried lol
    So My favorite Healthy alternative is
    BACON:
    Turkey Bacon: 35 calories for 2 slices (And you cant even tell the difference taste wise)

What are some of yours?
    :)

When I saw your topic, I was going to post about turkey bacon too! LOL. I gave up pork bacon a couple of years ago for religious reasons, but never really cared much for turkey bacon. However, I found this AMAZING turkey bacon from Applegate Farms (Trader Joe's carries it as does my local Kroger) that is not pressed turkey parts. It is smoked but uncured. It is a little higher in calories than yours (35 calories for 1 slice) but it is soooo yummy. I am looking forward to some BLTs with it once the tomatoes are good and flavorful this sumer.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

BACON:

If only that were true (for me). And even if you can't tell the difference in taste there's no way you can't tell a difference in texture.

As to your question, I not a huge fan of finding "healthier alternatives" to my less-healthy choices. If I can't make less healthy option work through portion control, I'll find a "healthier" option that I also happen to enjoy.

For example, I really, really love fish and chips. I suppose I could put breadcrumbs on fish and bake it, but it almost seems like an abomination at that point. If I can't make fish and chips work in my day, then I'll just have something else entirely that I also enjoy--like chicken fajitas. If I really want the fish and chips, I'd rather feel satisfied at having it in the perfect form of itself and plan the rest of my day around it.

Different means to a similar end, I suppose.

Note I use quotes around healthy because I recognize that what constitutes healthy is somewhat relative.
  • fallenintoblue
    Options
    Mine was chocolate lol but thanks to healthier choices I found sugar free sweets and you can't even tell a difference with skinny cow or sugar free russell stovers chocolates
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What defines "healthier"? Just lower in calories?
  • ScorpioDiva81
    ScorpioDiva81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt for sour cream! It tastes amazing! Other options are spinach for lettuce and butternut squash for meat in wraps. Yummy!
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower, or roasted cauliflower is a GREAT alternative for cravings like buttery mashed potatoes or chicken wings!

I coat my cauliflower in a little garlic and chili powder and OMG it's a-may-ZING.
  • Pet_Rocks
    Options
    what kind of pork bacon are you using that's 180 calories for one slice? I use Wright Brand Thick Cut Hickory Smoked bacon at 90 calories for 2 slices

as to the favorite foods...steak would be right up there - I just get a leaner cut
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Root beer float: Regular beer float. Preferably a nice stout with clotted cream ice cream.

beerfloat_zpse5443d59.jpg
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    -bake my own chicken wings with some spices
    -85% dark chocolate - just 1 square
    -ice cream made with protein powder
    -putting pizza toppings on a salad, or using a cauliflower crust
    -grill my own burgers (made from scratch, not a pre-formed patty), sans bun
    -chocolate protein powder shake in place of a milkshake (throw ice with it in blender)
  • acoons1990
    Options
    I LOVE buffalo chicken.... and then tried these Buffalo Cauliflower Bites and freaked out at how good they were. I ate nearly the full head of cauliflower on my own!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/spicy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites.html

And I ate it with an AMAZING low calorie version of Ranch dressing...

http://fluffimama.blogspot.com/2012/03/little-something-for-your-time.html
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Root beer float: Regular beer float. Preferably a nice stout with clotted cream ice cream.

beerfloat_zpse5443d59.jpg

Not a huge stout fan, but that looks UH MAY ZING
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Stout and icecream, never thought about it....but I have to agree that does look amazing : )
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Low cal alternative to nuts? I know they're healthy, but I WAY overeat them (same with chocolate!) portion control is not my thing..
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hotdogs (from ballpark)
    Chicken Sausage (Johnsonville)
    1/2 Ground turkey 1/2 ground beef burgers
  • TheRealAutumnShiranui
    Options
    Calories, Fat, Sugar, etc. Just a all around better choice :)
  • TheRealAutumnShiranui
    Options
    what kind of pork bacon are you using that's 180 calories for one slice? I use Wright Brand Thick Cut Hickory Smoked bacon at 90 calories for 2 slices

as to the favorite foods...steak would be right up there - I just get a leaner cut
    WHOOPS, lol. I meant 80 per slice xD And it is the Bacon from my Boyfriends Family Farm.
  • mdnash81
    mdnash81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Cary's Sugar Free Syrup on whole grain waffles.
  • mrslosser
    mrslosser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not that salsa is UNhealthy, besides the sodium, but I have found that by buying a medium or hot version of salsa and mixing 2 tablespoons with a cut up tomato makes the salsa taste fresher and you get about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of "salsa" for about 70 calories. It still tastes like salsa, just milder which is why I buy hotter salsa.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Low cal alternative to nuts? I know they're healthy, but I WAY overeat them (same with chocolate!) portion control is not my thing..

That's why I have a small container to pack nuts in for my lunch/snack. Otherwise, I'll just keep eating them until they're gone! Pumpkin seeds are a good alternative, and higher in protein.

Chocolate - I only buy at least 85% dark, and eat usually only 1 square (sometimes 2, but not often) and that satisfies me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Calories, Fat, Sugar, etc. Just a all around better choice :)
    Oh ok... I was just confused because I don't view turkey "bacon" as particularly healthier than real bacon. It also doesn't taste like bacon (at least not the stuff I've tried, and not compared to British bacon - I know American bacon is a bit different). If I'm going to have turkey, I'll have a normal cut of turkey, which is probably a lot better than the turkey bacon. A lot less sodium, certainly. If I'm going to have bacon, I'll just have real bacon and enjoy it.