The scale is not budging......

Options
Please help. I have been using the food and exercise tracker for a few months now and yet the scale pretty much remains the same. I even cut my logged exercise time in half because I think the calories burned are not as much as the tools say. I am 49 and work out hard. 1300 calories a day with a cheat day or two here and there.....pretty much no results. According to the calculator, I should be about 15 lbs. down by now. Any advice????

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    According to the calculator, I should be about 15 lbs. down by now. Any advice????

Yes, the formula/calculations are simply a guide. You will not lose weight exactly to the math. Keep consistent.

Up those calories too.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Give us more stats, height, weight, what you want to weigh, how many times do you workout a week....
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    mine was stuck for 2 weeks dropped .2 of a pound today still got excited lol
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Could you open your diary? There not much info to go on atm
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    JessicaJoanJarvis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's a well know fact that as you get older it's more difficult to lose weight. Don't be disheartened! Impossible is two letters too long!!

Keep track of hip, thigh, arm, neck, back, waist measurements, you may be converting fat into muscle hence the scales staying the same.

Boost your metabolism with spicy foods.

Exercise before 10am to get your body going.

Make simple changes such as using sweetener instead of sugar, and reducing salt levels. Also don't add sauces to food! Hidden calories right there.

Alternate the excercise you do, and the food you eat. When our bodies get accustomed to the same routine it gets lazy!

All the best!

Jess xx
  • katper15
    katper15 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've found that if I eat too many carbs and just cut back a little not completely and add more veggies that sometimes helps.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents but I would watch your cheat days. One or two here and there can ad up quickly. I would cut it down to one or no cheat days to see if that make a difference. Also I found using a food scale helped me.
  • Caitable
    Caitable Posts: 14
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I know it sounds crazy but when your body gets used to not getting enough water on a regular basis it actually starts retaining water because its worried about not having enough in the future. Drinking well over the 8 recommended cups of water a day will increase the amount of water your body lets go of on a daily basis because its not worried about being dehydrated. It might take a week or so of upping your water intake before you really see the water weight coming off.

Also having the proper amount of water cycling through your body helps get rid of toxins and waste.

Eat more apples. My nutritionist has this on the bottom of every email he sends me. The amount of fiber in an apple helps everything exit your body better :) I hit a plateau with the scale he said add two apples to my day, he even said I didn't have to keep track of them if I didn't want to. I didn't and within a week the scale had started coming down again
  • helloheatherbray
    helloheatherbray Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I 100% relate to your struggle...I have been at a plateau for awhile, but I've been drinking tons of water, and exercising.

You might be losing fat, but gaining muscle in it's place...this is the case with me because I'm noticing clothes fitting looser, but the scale hasn't moved.

Keep it up.

I read in Fitness Magazine you're supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces of water...for example. I weigh 170 pounds, divide that by two and you get 85, which would mean 85 ounces of water...which is 10.6 cups of water. I always round up to the nearest whole cup because a little more water can't hurt.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight for 10 weeks. I just tried not to get discouraged. It finally moved!!!!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same boat and bleated on here many times how frustrating it was. I decided to open my diary but before I did I had a good honest look at it and discovered that there were more 'missed' or partial days than I thought! There were a lot of Quick Added calories too - mostly for gravy, extra veg, general nibbling but I've tried reducing these down now.

Unfortunately I can't say if it's worked because the battery in my scales had gone and I haven't got around to changing it!

I just have to keep believing that one day the excess weight will come off and that I CAN actually see my body toning up. If I say it often enough it may just become true!
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can go to fitnessfrog.com to figure out your TDEE then minus 15% that’s the calorie number you want to eat…..also figure out your BMR….NEVER….go below that number….I’m in my 50’s I lost over 50 lbs last year but for the last several months the scale has moved..Recently, I’ve started mixing up my training, I'm being real careful to stay in the 70% heart rate zone (where the fat burns) and I added a second 30 minute pm cardio session. I also went back to taking a supplement (PGX) that I was using last year when I was losing. I have a daily goal of 10,000 steps.My weight lose goal is 1-1.5 lbs a week..Hope this info helps…Just keep at it …Something will happen.

4526527.png[/url]
    JbWzm5.png[/url]
  • caseykinney40
    caseykinney40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These are such great tips you guys are sharing. The explanation of how much water we should be drinking is the best I've heard. Thanks and I'll also start adding an apple to my diet.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Same exact boat!!! I like the posts so far. Common themes, limit cheat days and drink more water. I could definitely drink more but while I'm trying to study it's very HARD not to have some candy...being over 40 makes it all more difficult :( No matter, I'm sticking with it.
  • miriamu26
    miriamu26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same here. Mine moved 8 pounds within two weeks and now I've managed to gain back 2lbs.
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    As well meaning as the 20 year old is - it's NOT that hard to lose weight in your 40's.

I want to scream every time I read - "up your calories"!! You did not start dieting a few months ago and immediately put yourself into "starvation mode" You got into this situation by eating too many calories. You need to eat less calories. I'm not saying go less than 1300 - but there is a big difference between thinking you are eating 1300 and really eating 1300... Maybe investigate just how accurate your logging is.

And definitely more water, and fiber supplement.