Rest Week Stories

Options
G'day.

I am looking to probably take a break from the gym this upcoming week. I have about 5 weeks of strength training behind me...this is a busy week with my birthday/ going away etc. so I'm thinking it might make sense to take it off.

It seems a little scary...

How have rest weeks been for you? Did you still log food? Do moderate exercise (yoga, swimming, etc)?

How did you feel afterward/ getting back into your old routine?

Replies

• roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    for me taking a week off would be BAD! would give me a reason to put it off another day and another day. do something that week, or each day, 10 minutes? "JUST MOVE" is my motto

you're creating a habit after 5 weeks, DON'T STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kathleen_Hays
    Options
    I have found rest/recovery weeks to be essential. Your body needs that time to rest and repair - especially after resistance work. Yes, I would recommend that you still log your food, and do some kind of light, stretchy workout, just to keep your muscles limber. You'll find that when you get back into it, you'll feel stronger and ready to go! Good luck! And Happy Birthday! :-)
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I went to Vegas for a weeks vacation. I didn't log at all. It was kind of liberating. I had been logging for 320 days straight and it was scary to not. I walked a lot while I was away and ate as sensibly as I could. When I got back I had only gained 2 lbs - but the following 2 weeks I lost 9 lbs - with no working out. Every 'body' is different.
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    Every time I've taken a rest week, I'll still log my food and just do light exercises throughout the week (a solid long walk, pushups, crunches, light jog). That way my body stays moving but in a much lighter tone so I stay in my routine somewhat.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm all for rest weeks! I don't know how often you beat your body but I know I always benefit from a week of rest after continuosly putting my body through the ringer twice a day 3 times a week. And I always start the following week off feeling stronger and full of energy. Allow your body to rest, recover, and enjoy your birthday!!

But yes, still log your food. This is a rest week for your body not for your plan. I would also do some light stretching/foam rolling/yoga kinda stuff just because I can't sit still without feeling a little guilty during rest weeks.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I can do a recovery day maybe weekend but that's where it ends or ill fall back into my old habits...
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have taken weeks off when on vacation or just life is too hectic. I usually don't log but I just try to make decent choices. As far as exercise, it depends on what I can do. I have taken a week off when I had no time to do anything other than walking from here to there and then I have had weeks where I walk, run if I can, kayak or just do something that's active, but different for me. I always feel refreshed, but honestly, I miss my workout schedule LOL
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Im in the middle of a rest week myself - I ran my 3rd 1/2 Marathon this last Sunday - and it is TERRIBLE! I've slacked on logging and am kicking myself in the rear for it! I cant wait to get back to a routine!
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    First off, Happy Birthday!!!

Everyone is different. But I know if I take a week off, my mind would say "Take another day off" , "Take one more day and then hit it hard tomorrow!" , "Ok take this last day off and do 2 workouts the next day", "OK its Thursday, who starts a workout routine in the middle of the week? Do it next week"..."OK Saturday is for fun, eat 5 pieces of cake for energy on Monday"... This is how i think LOL.

Just be very careful and still be mindful of your calorie intake. Best of luck and enjoy your week =)
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When working on strength I deload the weight by half every fourth week. When working on hypertrophy I take every eighth or ninth week off completely. Like some have said, it is essential.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and for the birthday wishes :)

:flowerforyou: