What do you pack?

Options
So you know you will be in the car for 4-5 hours what if anything do pack with you to eat?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd eat before, but my car is new and I'm still too precious about it to eat in it.
  • jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lightly salted almonds, a kashi bar, small cooler with string cheese or Greek yogurt, simple sandwich.. Pretty much anything that I would normally take anywhere like work. I will spending all weekend at the ballpark (teenage daughter plays traveling competitive softball) and those are the worst times to not have brought something. No healthy options at the concession stands! I know I will be there 7 am to 7:30 pm so I will pack lots of options and probably hit up some healthier take out on the way home.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I'd eat before, but my car is new and I'm still too precious about it to eat in it.

I don't have that problem. 2 boys under 3 and a husband who occasionally uses it to do plumbing serves calls has taken its toll on my beautiful stallion.
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Plan you meals in advance. Stay under calories for that day. and pack, raw veggies,healthy calorie contral snack pack, water, sugar free gum ( when you are bored and want to eat something), decide where to stop to eat and eat the healthiest food choice there (subway has under 300 calories choices), when stopping for gas do not get anything to eat, only water and gum.
    Hope this helps. I have a trip planned for next month, I will use my advise as well.
    Viki
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    Lightly salted almonds, a kashi bar, small cooler with string cheese or Greek yogurt, simple sandwich.. Pretty much anything that I would normally take anywhere like work. I will spending all weekend at the ballpark (teenage daughter plays traveling competitive softball) and those are the worst times to not have brought something. No healthy options at the concession stands! I know I will be there 7 am to 7:30 pm so I will pack lots of options and probably hit up some healthier take out on the way home.
    I like the almonds! Unfortunately dairy doesn't like me. I will be driving so a sandwich becomes difficult. I'm not that coordinated.:ohwell: thanks it's a start:happy:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    A loaded shotgun.

A couple of beers.

And some reading material.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    beef jerky and nuts are my go to for "long-ish" road trips.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When I am on the road I pack my water bottle, fruit and trail mix. Portable & easy snacks with lil or no trash.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Quiche is good. Apples or pears and cheese. Sliced carrots, celery, red pepper plus goat cheese. A thermos flask of soup. A couple hardboiled eggs and an orange. Lettuce/roast beef or ham/cheese roll-ups. A jar of nuts. A pack of protein bars and a bottle of diet soda. A couple liters of water. Something like that.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars and water
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    4-5 hours isn't too long. I would take: carrots, apple slices, clementines (already peeled), boiled egg (already peeled), grapes, nuts, jerky or chicken cut into bite-sized pieces. I would take a couple of refillable water bottles too.

EDA: I wouldn't need to take everything above, but for your entire family it would be a nice variety.
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    Plan you meals in advance. Stay under calories for that day. and pack, raw veggies,healthy calorie contral snack pack, water, sugar free gum ( when you are bored and want to eat something), decide where to stop to eat and eat the healthiest food choice there (subway has under 300 calories choices), when stopping for gas do not get anything to eat, only water and gum.
    Hope this helps. I have a trip planned for next month, I will use my advise as well.
    Viki
    Thanks this I think will become a weekly drive but it unfortunately cuts through my lunch which is mu largest meal. Maybe I will have to switch a snack with the lunch and just change my timing a bit?:sad: I like my schedule it keeps me on target. Guess its time to grow up a little and relearn to roll with the punches.:grumble:
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    :drinker:
    A loaded shotgun.

A couple of beers.

And some reading material.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    pre-portion your snacks before you go. Don't just get a big bag of almonds or dried fruit and slowly eat the whole bag throughout the trip. Put the snacks in individual snack size baggies and weigh or count out servings so you can be aware of the calories while you're on the road to avoid "mindless eating" while you're driving.

My last road trip, I took: almonds, apricots, sugar snap peas, turkey deli meat, cheese strings, cheeze its, protein shakes and boxed gourmet soups to heat in a crock pot. I was going away for the weekend and wanted to save money. I put all the snacks in baggies of serving sizes, drank the protein shakes for breakfast, and made the soups for lunch. It was perfect.

more ideas: raisins, trail mix, baby carrots/other veggies, yogurt, crackers... Good luck!
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    beef jerky and nuts are my go to for "long-ish" road trips.

Do you have a lower fat suggestion as far as jerky brands?
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Pretzels. Lara Bars. Water bottle. Popcorn. I always bring too much food so I'm not tempted :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Huh. After reading the title, my answer was going to be Glock 26.
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    Quiche is good. Apples or pears and cheese. Sliced carrots, celery, red pepper plus goat cheese. A thermos flask of soup. A couple hardboiled eggs and an orange. Lettuce/roast beef or ham/cheese roll-ups. A jar of nuts. A pack of protein bars and a bottle of diet soda. A couple liters of water. Something like that.
    I like the roll up idea easer than a full sandwich. Thanks
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    pre-portion your snacks before you go. Don't just get a big bag of almonds or dried fruit and slowly eat the whole bag throughout the trip. Put the snacks in individual snack size baggies and weigh or count out servings so you can be aware of the calories while you're on the road to avoid "mindless eating" while you're driving.

My last road trip, I took: almonds, apricots, sugar snap peas, turkey deli meat, cheese strings, cheeze its, protein shakes and boxed gourmet soups to heat in a crock pot. I was going away for the weekend and wanted to save money. I put all the snacks in baggies of serving sizes, drank the protein shakes for breakfast, and made the soups for lunch. It was perfect.

more ideas: raisins, trail mix, baby carrots/other veggies, yogurt, crackers... Good luck!

I love little baggies they help so much with the visual cue of I'm done:love:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I would eat before, and bring a Luna Protein bar and an apple.