The PowerPlate...

Options
So it supposedly tones but does it burn kcals? Anyone know? Reason I'm asking is that we have one at home and I go on it for 20mins most days. Thanks.

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to this one but if you have a HRM put it on whilst on the powerplate and see what happens. I'd be interested to know the results :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    sounds like BS to me personally :P
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've tried one of these things before. It did get the muscles in my legs burning, but honestly I'm really wary of any "lose weight without effort" schemes.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I go to 3 Power Plate sessions a week at my gym, and believe me it isn't no effort, it's HARD! I've been going since April and although I haven't lost that much actual poundage, I have definitely noticed a difference!

I now do kettlebell training on the Power Plate 3x a week, and have noticed I am stronger (and I think I saw an arm muscle the other day...) and can lift a heavier bell.

I like it because it's 25 minutes of hard work, rather than an hour of moderate activity!
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    I think the power plate doesn't make you loose weight - it tones and sculpts so you loose inches

I did power plate for a couple of months and I definitely saw the difference - I didn't loose weight but I lost inches

I still go to power plate at least once a week to compliment my running and biking - it is hard work and i have better muscle definition etc - so it all depends on where you are in your weight loss goal - i have about 5lbs to loose still so i am more focused on body shape than weight loss

I wouldn't use power plates as my primary exercise source
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was using the power plates for a month! To get the full benefit out of them you need to use plenty of effort, they are not the no effort fix some people make them out to be. I was feeling muscles I didn't know existed before!

I was losing a lot of weight at the time I was using them, so personally, I didn't think they made any difference... that is, until I stopped using them! I'm hoping to go back on them in the next month!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Do you people using them have a trainer or something guiding you?

Hard work gets results. I suppose the question is whether or the power plate system with hard work is more beneficial than hard work alone.
  • ellie_1989
    ellie_1989 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. You all basically summed up what I thought. I think it's supposed to go hand in hand with exercise and is used as a toning mechanism. I know my mum used it everyday for a couple of months along with a healthy diet and she's lost loads of weight and nearly all her cellulite is gone! She doesn't do any other exercise as she has a bad back so I guess it must help in some way. But I doubt I'll be inputting into my daily workouts column haha! It does bloody hurt though lol sometimes it gives me stitch and I have to come off it lol.