Yummy Quinoa recipes?

Options
Hey, does anyone have any good quinoa recipes? I've just started cooking with it recently but can't get to loving it... it needs some magic!

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I find cooking it with broth/stock instead of just plain water helps. I also add in chopped onion, garlic, and some spices to the water when it's about half cooked. Lately I have been eating it with buffalo sauce mixed in.

What about cooking it half rice, half quinoa? I find that helps to get used to the flavour.
  • Evagem
    Evagem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a greek quinoa. Cooked red quinoa per the package and then added in chopped cucumber, tomatoes, onion, kalamata olives (Trader Joes without pits), and some Trader Joes mediterranean flavored feta cheese. With the cheese and kalamata olives, I did not need any type of dressing. It was great with a grilled chicken breast.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree, the first time I made it, I wasn't a big fan. The next time, I cooked it in low sodium beef broth. It changed the flavor quite a bit. I like to add some roasted veggies to mine...zucchini, onions, yellow squash, etc. My kid loves to add a little feta to hers as well.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Black bean quinoa veggie burgers are the best!!! message me if youd like the recipe
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I cook it in low sodium chicken broth and then add diced cucumbers, red and green peppers, grape tomatoes, feta and Kraft calorie-wise greek feta dressing. Love this combination!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bump...just bought some and want to try it. I was going to use it instead of Basmati rice in my next Indian food dish. I was going to try it the other night, but didn't have time to soak it. I need more forward planning.
  • heatherdawn007
    Options
    I cook it in organic chicken broth also and season it (sometimes with herbs, and sometimes just something like Mrs. Dash) and use it in place of rice, as a side dish, or as a layer with pork, chicken, etc. I really like it because I LOVE rice and it is a similar, healthy alternative.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love ccoking it in low sodium chicken or beef broth (vegetable broth was kind of icky) and adding a sprinkling of onion and garlic powder. I can eat it as is or add it to steamed veggies, add it to chili (yummiest thing ever and SO filling!), or to soups to help keep me fuller longer. I have a friend who shared a recipe for Quinoa Macncheeze, the recipe has a lot of fattening stuff but I'm sure you can doctor it up with less fattening alternatives and it would still be really great as a side dish! Haven't tried it yet but I really want to.

Couldn't find my friends recipe but I found this one that looks incredible:
    http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2013/01/quinoa-spinach-mac-and-cheese/

Also this one:
    http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/crunchy-quinoa-granola/
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    This is what I did yesterday:

I cooked a cup of quinoa and spread it on a large plate. In a food processor, I blended fresh mint, fresh coriander, 2 spring onions and a small red chili (the original recipe also included some baby spinach). While quinoa was still steaming, I spread the herb mixture over it and sprinkled it with generous amount of lime juice and some olive oil.

Then on the top of it I put some sliced grilled chicken and bell peppers, cubed mango, avocado, crumbled feta, some coriander, cress and chili. And some yoghurt.

the original recipe is Jamie Oliver's. It's one of his 15 minute meals. You can find it in his book and on youtube (blackened chicken recipe).
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I sub it in wherever I'd use rice and it tastes fine. I make a lot of yummy curries, and the quinoa just soaks up the flavours... mmm!