Too much water? Ladies-help?

Options
13»

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Female hormones control fluid retention -_-

In young women, estradiol and progesterone primarily control reproduction, but they also affect fluid regulation. Estradiol lowers the operating point for osmoregulation of arginine vasopressin and thirst and increases plasma volume. Although total body water and sodium content are only mildly affected, data presented in this article suggest that reproductive hormones alter homeostatic set points for body fluid and tonicity.

Keywords: estrogens, 17 β-estradiol, progesterone, gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist, osmoreceptors, renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2849969/
  • chanice11
    chanice11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that drink a lot of water daily. A LOT.

I drink so much that I feel "addicted" to water (5-6 litres a day). I need to have a bottle of water nearby at all times. I have 24oz water bottles in every place I go (work, car, kitchen, bedroom, computer room). If I am away from my water for more than 1/2 hr, I start to feel lightheaded. I seriously think I am nuts a bit about this, but that is another topic.
    I have been like this as long as I remember though, and my mother has told me that I would refuse all drinks except water as a child. I did almost die from dehydration as a baby, so that is probably why it is such a part of my psyche.