Having trouble with sugar

Options
So by breakfast every morning I'm either at my sugar limit or really close. Minus the brownie yesterday it usually comes from fruit so it's natural sugar. I do a lot of smoothies. This morning I tried bolt house farms strawberry banana... Welp over the sugar limit I go again. Anyone else have this problem?? Is it going to affect my weightloss/ path toward healthy too vastly since its from fruit??

Replies

• jessicaperkins52
    jessicaperkins52 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I have the same problem. Every day I'm over my sugar limit by having 3 servings of fruit and then the low amounts of sugar in the other foods I eat. For breakfast I've been having oatmeal with strawberries and I sweeten the oatmeal with maple syrup. I figure over time I'll cut back on the maple syrup, but for now I'm over my limit fairly quickly.
  • brianfia
    brianfia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but what I do is look at my overall diary and decide if the items that are causing my overage are "worth" eating. For example, I like morning coffee and I do not like using artificial sweetners, so I was always using sugar. Well as you can imagine, I was going over my limit fairly quickly. I have decided to eliminate the sugar from coffee all together. It takes a little getting used to, but i have adapted. On the weekends, I like to have cold cereal (a welcome treat from eating oatmeal all week long ;-) ). The serving of the Reduced Fat 2% Milk that I use has 18g of sugar in it, but it also 12g protein and 45% of my Calcium for the day so I have decided the additional sugar to be "worth" eating in this case. I think that you just need to weigh the pros and cons of the food that you are eating. Don't know if this helps, but good luck!!! :wink:
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Unless you've some medical reason to track sugar, don't bother tracking sugar!

ETA: You only need to track carbs, fat and protein.
  • gp72dpr
    gp72dpr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, make sure you are under or at your calorie limit. I'm over my sugar every day cuz I eat lots of fruit and smoothies, but I have lost 13 lbs in 4 weeks.
  • awppy
    awppy Posts: 4
    Options
    I obliterate my sugar limit on a daily basis. My first day tracking it, I think I nearly tripled the Sugar target.

TOP SCORE!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unless you've some medical reason to track sugar, don't bother tracking sugar!

This! I removed sugar from what I track. I go over everyday halfway through my breakfast due to fruit.

I rarely if every consume added or refined sugars so I don't pay attention to the sugars.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If it's from fruit, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have diabetes or some other metabolic issue that requires you to keep your sugars low. It's the added sugar (like another poster's example of sugar in coffee) that you want to limit. In that vein, though, it sounds like you're using pre-packaged smoothie mixes? (the Bolt house Farms … I'm not sure exactly what it is). You may want to check the ingredient list and make sure that there is no added sugar, etc. You may be better off just using fresh fruit - it might cost less, too!
  • wuzzittoya
    Options
    ALWAYS! I even upped the sugar just to have it quit telling me that I'm over by lunchtime. I do not use any added sugar and have sworn off refined sugar entirely, allowing for honey for very rare occasions (seriously expensive granola 1/8 cup at a time in plain yogurt and in tea when I'm dealing with infection issues). 99% of my sugars are definitely natural. I choose to focus on total calorie intake and how "worth it" my calories are - i.e., you can eat a cup of really good mixed greens for barely any calories at all - look at nutrient density and your calorie load. I'm probably old-fashioned - I prefer a diet high in lean protein and good carbs and figure the rest will take care of itself. Good luck! :smile:
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some medical condition where you need to worry about a spike in blood sugar (like diabetes), then don't worry overly much about sugar.

Weight loss is really simple.
    If calories in are less than calories out, you will lose weight.
    If calories in are equal to calories out, you will stay the same.
    If calories in are more than calories out, you will gain weight.

The "targets" for carbs, protein, fats, fibre, sugar, etc. are to help give context to a balanced diet.
    And many smart and fit people disagree with them.

But, short of a medical condition, weight loss alone is a calorie counting game only -- the constituent parts won't matter for weight loss.