Donating blood today

Options
Should I work out before or after donating blood? I'm a fainter so I dont know which would be best for me?

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly ok to workout before you give blood. I don't mean an hour or two before but if you're giving blood in the evening it's ok to workout in the afternoon. You should NOT workout after you have given blood as your body needs time to replenish what has been taken.

And you just reminded me that I need to give blood at some point.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I better go run now!
  • carrieous
    Options
    Ran 2 miles and did some free weights about 30 mins before donating. Also, ate a PB&J sammy beforehand. I didnt faint while donating so thats good. I do feel a little out of it now.

Since i gave up a bag of blood do i get to eat a big fat cheeseburger for dinner and not log it?

:)
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ran 2 miles and did some free weights about 30 mins before donating. Also, ate a PB&J sammy beforehand. I didnt faint while donating so thats good. I do feel a little out of it now.

Since i gave up a bag of blood do i get to eat a big fat cheeseburger for dinner and not log it?

I don't know about a cheeseburger, but you should definitely increase your water intake for the next couple of days to make up for the lost volume.

And good on you for donating. I'm a five-gallon donor currently on hiatus due to low iron levels that I'd really like to get over in order to get back into the swing...really hate not being able to give when the truck visits my workplace. :grumble:
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Have a steak!
  • carrieous
    Options
    SO its been 3 days since i donated blood and i tried to run today. It was very hard and i could only run half of 2 miles- had to walk the other half. It took twice as long as usual to get my heart rate down. Ever since Monday i've been tired, weak and like i cant get a full breathe in.

How much longer til i am back to normal and is there anything i can do to speed up the process?
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Eat food, drink water. You need about 650 calories to replinish a pint of blood. Usually I'm fine by the third day, but I eat maintenance on the first two days - if you're restricting, it'll take longer.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of iron rich food and load up on the liquids...OJ would be nice to get those energy levels back up. Good job on donating. It is something very close to my heart.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I donated blood 3 weeks ago. I had a PT session that morning and donated in the afternoon. I have low blood pressure and nearly fainted after! Ooops. I got told to drink a lot. No-one mentioned eating more. I got told off as I asked if it was ok to go to aqua aerobics that evening! The nurse made me feel like a complete idiot. I did aerobics the next morning and my friend told me that i looked exhausted!

I found that for a couple of weeks after I felt really, really tired and kept going to bed much earlier than usual. I didn't eat any more than usual though, and still carried on with all my workouts.

I'll definitely donate again though.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Was it your first time? I only ask because I felt very tired for a couple of days after my first donation, but subsequent ones I have been absolutely fine. The nurse at our session says that somehow your body gets accustomed to donating and copes better. No idea how that might work, but it been true for me at least.
  • BennyLT
    Options
    I'm a runner and donate too. I typically feel tired for a couple days when i run, and my heart rate is a little hot for a week or so.

I do know you get your volume back quickly like 24 hours as long as you drink fluids, but building red blood cells takes a lot longer. hence the time limit between donations.

SO my theory is that since Red blood cells transport oxygen. Less reds = less O2 = more fatigue... thats my theory anyway
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Workout now... Hydrate before and after the donation. I give blood every two months or so within a week or so of when I'm allowed to do so. I also post that as calories burnt. Mayo Clinic suggests that its about 600 calories that you body then expends to replace the lost blood cells. Proper hydration and not working out afterward are good ideas... I do a light workout later, but I've gotten use to doing this.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The time before last this time I dontated I had the same issue. It put me out of comission workout wise for almost a week! This time I drank A LOT of water before and after. I also ate really good high iron foods the few days before and the day of the blood donation. This time was not nearly as bad and I was able to do my workout the next day with no issues.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    create a custom exercise "giving blood" and put in somewhere between 500-600 calories and then put it in your log for today so that you can eat back what you need and not go over
  • carrieous
    Options
    I donated blood 3 weeks ago. I had a PT session that morning and donated in the afternoon. I have low blood pressure and nearly fainted after! Ooops. I got told to drink a lot. No-one mentioned eating more. I got told off as I asked if it was ok to go to aqua aerobics that evening! The nurse made me feel like a complete idiot. I did aerobics the next morning and my friend told me that i looked exhausted!

I found that for a couple of weeks after I felt really, really tired and kept going to bed much earlier than usual. I didn't eat any more than usual though, and still carried on with all my workouts.

I'll definitely donate again though.
    Yes! My BP is really low too. Well 118/58 which i think is low. Anyway i keep going to bed early too- my husband is getting offended! Im just to beat- and cranky too:(
  • carrieous
    Options
    thanks, everyone. I will try eating more- tho i overdid it last night on pasta and even a Vday cupcake. Im surprised I'm still so weak- but it had been years since i donated (like 5)
  • michelejlm
    michelejlm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you live in Canada and are donating blood please consider using this partner ID:

HAE Canada's Partner ID: HAEC013349

I have infusions twice a week and any donation helps :)