Donating Blood and Lifting

Options
Next Tuesday I am donating blood; Tuesday is also lifting night. I am thinking I probably shouldn't lift after giving blood.

I don't want to use that as a convenient excuse not to lift, but I'm sure it's a valid reason not to lift, right? What about cardio? The techs at the blood drive tell you to "take it easy" for several hours after donating blood; would light cardio or walking be too much?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Generally about 5-6 hours you need to avoid anything out of normal daily activities. After that, I would do something lighter than normal and just base it on how you feel
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    They usually tell me "no heavy lifting for the next 24 hours" and consider heavy anything more than 5 lbs in the arm you donated with. I normally end up taking the day off working out when I donate.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    They usually tell me "no heavy lifting for the next 24 hours" and consider heavy anything more than 5 lbs in the arm you donated with. I normally end up taking the day off working out when I donate.

^^This. You could work out first, then donate.
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Options

^^^ This!
    About cardio, if you feel up to it, take a light walk, but I wouldn't do more than that. I have also seen multiple places that you should increase your calories by 300-500 on the day you give blood to help your body replenish and of course drink TONS of fluids. Thanks for donating, you are helping save lives!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this; I am donating this morning and actually came to the Fitness and Exercise message board to see if I should do my usual run at lunch.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you do lift or do cardio, just pay attention to your body. When you donate blood you reduce your body's blood supply by somewhere around 1/6th. Since blood is what carries oxygen throughout your body, and you will be working out with less of it, don't be surprised if you feel pretty light headed while you're working out. If that's the case, sit down for a minute, catch your breath.

It'll probably be harder to catch your breath in general, since the oxygen your body can move around will be lower...

I'd rather just relax, take the day off, be happy that I helped save someone's life, and get back to the gym the next day.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    @beth, Thanks for the info about increased calories. I wasn't aware of that.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I worked out about 3-4 hours afterwards and I was fine. Not sure about cardio, I'm a bleeder....lol, so I wouldn't chance sprouting a leak....hahaha
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @beth, Thanks for the info about increased calories. I wasn't aware of that.

I think it at least covers the cookies and juice you get afterwards :wink:
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just finished and talked to the phlebotomist about exercising. She didn't seem very enthusiastic about it, even a walk. She told me to take it easy and not do too much.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'd take the day off. You shouldn't do anything too strenuous because the blood loss could lower your pressure and working out might cause you to pass out.
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    Gave blood on a Thursday last month and my "regular" lifting night was the following evening. Went to do my usual routine, and felt very yucky, a bit lightheaded, and generally not good at all. (I drink a minimum of a half gallon of water a day, so I was not dehydrated.) I cut off the last set of my lifting for that night, and that was 23.5 hours AFTER giving blood. I was able to complete 3 of my 4 sets, but by the end of the 3rd set I really had to sit down.

So, short answer, I would really not recommend lifting the night of giving blood, based on my own experience.

I have never had a problem with brisk walking after giving blood, so perhaps you could do some light cardio such as brisk walking, or nordic walking, or elliptical, etc?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Do your workout before you give blood.
  • kriswilcoxen9
    Options
    I always give every 8 weeks, its the only way to get rid of iron in your body! I workout 2x daily 6 days a week with a lifting session in the AM and cardio in the evening and I always skip the lifting on the day I give blood. By evening I am ready to hit the bike, never had an issue.GO for it!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you workout before giving blood, make sure you eat inbetween!!!
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I donated blood today. I did my exercise and workout before donating blood. I will probably take it easy tomorrow. I'll see how it goes with my lifting and exercise. I also have been drinking lots of water today. I think I'm close to 2 gallons for today. I think donating blood is a very altruistic act. It took me about an hour to save a life. Plus, I get to eat cookies without feeling guilty about the calories.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    The post-donation "instructions" I received stated "Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercise; weight-lifters should wait 2-3 days before resuming a regular workout."

I specifically asked about my evening walks (1.5 miles at 3.5mph) and was told if I did walk, to take it slow and shorten my walk.