Can anyone suggest healthy lunchmeats?

Options
Keep in mind I don't live in a big city so I don't have a lot of options. I basically have Wal-Mart, Schnucks and some local grocery stores. It's impossible for me not to go over on my sodium everyday! My lunch alone today will be 1700 grams sodium for turkey, bacon, shredded cheese and a whole wheat tortilla! Everything has so much sodium in it, it's crazy. I did myfitnesspal everyday until I got pregnant, but then stopped. Since my daughter's been born I've tried to really get back with it on here, but it seems like before, I wasn't going over on sodium. I gave myself 330 more calories on here because I'm breastfeeding, but that shouldn't mean that much more sodium!

Any other foods that are low in sodium but tasty also feel free to share, thanks!

Replies

• dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Poach/roast your own chicken/beef without adding salt, and use that instead? Also bacon is really high in sodium. I'd go for something sour rather than something salty - try doing salsa instead of bacon and cheese?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to carefully monitor your sodium intake, just eat what deli meats you like the best and don't worry about soidum
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    turkey is probably the best one that I can think of, but you'll have to compare different types of turkey. I buy hillshire farms thin sliced turkey.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bologna isn't very high in sodium. On a recent trip to the grocery store I found it was the lowest. I think that if you want really low sodium meats you are going to have to make your own though.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    They are all high in sodium but I choose the Sara Lee because it has no fillers, MSG, yada yada, seems to be the healthier of what they offer at WM
  • gymboreejunkie
    gymboreejunkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not sure if these would be available in your area, but there are Low Sodium Turkey and Low Sodium Krakus Ham. Which my entire family loves. If your local grocery store doesn't carry it then try talking to the Manager of the store/deli counter and see if they can order it for you.

I agree with the other poster as well... grill / bake chicken and turkey and slice it up for your sandwiches.

Best of luck in your journey! :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to carefully monitor your sodium intake, just eat what deli meats you like the best and don't worry about soidum

I agree with this!

But if you still want lower sodium, look for Boar's Head brand at your local grocery store deli. They have lots of deli meats that have lower sodium. They're a bit pricier than other brands, but they taste better too. :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I prefer Sara Lee brand lunch meats (which I get at Walmart) I normally get the Honey Roasted Turkey , The Buffalo style chicken or the Brown Sugar Ham.... They all are a staple in my meat and cheese drawer....... Best of Luck... Oh and I have lost 312 lbs, and never tracked the first gram of sodium....ever...... I just drink over 100 ounces of water a day....... Best of Luck
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned why not make your own?

Roast a turkey breast, chicken breast, etc with some spices. Than cool and thinly slice or shread. You can do this with roast, turkey, chicken, or ham (any meat you want to really).
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You could try liverwurst according to about.com only 155mg of sodium per slice

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-liver-sausage-liverwurst-pork-i7041
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like turkey and ham. I usually have a sandwich and an apple for lunch each day. My favorite sandwich is sliced ham with medium cheddar, lettuce, tomato with fat free mayo, pepper, and tobasco sauce. It probably about 350 calories for the sandwich. I also will have turkey and provolone. I used to like Home Pride bread but now I use honey wheat bread from Sara Lee since Home Pride is gone. For turkey meat, I like Oscar Mayer Slow Roasted Turkey Breast. It's pretty lean protein and a good snack by itself.
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you go to the deli counter (where they slice it for you) Sara Lee has a low sodium turkey available. It's a little drier than regular lunchmeat obviously.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I just eat deli meat from Oscar Mayer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I love the Castle Wood Reserve - Sliced Herb Roasted Turkey (58% Less Sodium) from Sam's Club. I'll bet your WalMart has it, since they have the same parent company. I'm having 3.5 oz (1.5 servings) in my lunch today, and the sodium is 350 :)

ETA: Just looked at my diary and there's more sodium in my whole grain wraps and provolone cheese than my lunch meat LOL
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    I often use the Hormel Natural Choice lunchmeats. They're readily available (not in the deli, but the lunchmeat section). They aren't super low in sodium, but I don't think any lunchmeat is, but lower than most.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Dunno if you have a Giant Eagle around where you live, but the one here makes their own low sodium turkey, (I think it's like really low, around 50-60mg of sodium per 2oz) and I personally think it's really delicious. Way better than anything pre-packaged on the fridge shelves. Just my opinion - not a huge fan of luncheon meats, unless it's pastrami or corned beef on a reuben. Tons of sodium in most deli meats and / or sandwiches like that. If you really want to cut down, like others have said, make your own ahead of time. Buying in bulk is cheaper anyways, much cheaper than buying sandwiches while out and about.

Grilled chicken slices make an awesome sandwich too - and homemade of course you can do without the salt. I just use pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley and olive oil to flavor mine.
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It is also cheaper to cook up your own meat and slice it. I put frozen chicken breast with some low sodium stock in my slow cooker, on high until they are cooked through every sunday as part of my meal prep.
  • cynfy16
    cynfy16 Posts: 35
    Options
    If you like deli turkey, (which I love!) Try Sara Lee's Low Sodium turkey breast low calorie and much lower sodium than other deli brands! :) Also if you can try turkey bacon (Jennie-O's) again much lower sodium than normal bacon and delicious!