To Log or Not To Log... That is the Question!

Options
Hey all... Next week, I am going on a trip, and I need advice. My friend and I are leaving after work on Thursday, driving to Pittsburgh from southwestern Virginia. Spend the night Thursday and day Friday just hanging out, Fleetwood Mac concert on Friday night. Then recover on Saturday and go to a show at a club (where we plan to take in copious amounts of alcohol), and finally drive back home on Sunday. I know that I will have a hard time eating healthy on this trip. I have informed him already that fast food joints are out of the question, but I also know that we can't spend $20 a piece every meal, so I'm sure there will be some deviation. I anticipate going over on calories, carbs, and probably fat at every meal. I also know that the alcohol will throw me completely off my game. So... do I bother to try to only eat at places where nutrition info is available and log everything while on the trip? Or knowing that everything will be out of whack anyway, do I just not stress it and leave those days blank? I am going to try to save some calories and stuff earlier in the week, and I plan to work out extra leading up to the trip and on Sunday when I come back. Also, if anyone has any advice on eating healthy/ lean, in restaurants, on a budget, that would also be much appreciated!

Replies

• jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    1. Watch the condiments- salad dressings (ask for light versions or stick to vinegar based), sour cream, cheese, sauces, syrup, mayo.
    2. Choose grilled chicken over fried. If it is a grilled chicken sandwich, ask for no bun or just discard it.
    3. Salads- if they are larger salads ask for a to go box with your meal and put half in the to go box before you eat.
    4. Drink a lot of water while you are drinking the alcohol. This will help keep you from getting dehydrated, which in turn will also help you from getting a hangover :) When I would go out with my friends I would match one glass of water with each alcohol drink I had.
    5. As far as fast food places - if you do have to go because of budget reasons it is possible to eat healthy.

Burger places - Stick to regular size burger patties, discard bun, no mayo, cheese, special sauce or bacon. Have grilled chicken, discard bun, no mayo. Have a garden salad with grilled chicken and ask for low cal dressing (most places carry them now). Fresh apple slices instead of fries.

Mexican - Pick a soft taco versus crunchy. Black beans instead of refried beans. No rice. Salad instead of rice.

Subway is a cheap alternative. You can go online and they have a build your own section where you can plan ahead.

Also, if you can, plan ahead which restaurants you will be going to. Then check online for menus and possible nutritional information. Most chains have them.

Good alcohol choices: Hard alcohol with lowest calories are Rum, Gin, Tequilla, Whiskey and Vodka. Mix these with Diet sodas and you can save a lot of calories. I used to drink Vodka and cranberry, but I would have them put a little bit of diet sprite in it to cut down on the juice amount to save calories. Also rum and diet coke it good.

Hope this helps!
  • Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You should still log your food. You don't have to do it while on the trip if you can't. Do it later if you can but make a list of the restaurants you eat at. If you choose to eat at a restaurant too make sure you know how many calories you are eating so you can control your portions. Eg. If you are eating at Mcdonalds, who says you need to eat the whole meal? Buy a burger and water and that should suffice. DON'T eat the fries. Even if you really want 'fries' bake some potatoes at home and take them with you to the trip with some dipping sauce.
    Most well-known restaurants have the nutritional info posted on their website. If you are going to eat at an ethnic restaurant the nutritional info may not be listed anywhere. In that case create a self-made recipe and try to log all the ingredients of your dish to the best of your ability.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Always log..no matter how bad it looks.

Have fun!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    How much doe your fitness mean to you? Answer that, and you have your question....as well as your defined chances of attaining your goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So... do I bother to try to only eat at places where nutrition info is available and log everything while on the trip? Or knowing that everything will be out of whack anyway, do I just not stress it and leave those days blank? I am going to try to save some calories and stuff earlier in the week, and I plan to work out extra leading up to the trip and on Sunday when I come back. Also, if anyone has any advice on eating healthy/ lean, in restaurants, on a budget, that would also be much appreciated!

I say NO to sticking to chain restaurants that post nutrition info. When traveling, do some advance research and find great local places, which will almost never have nutritional info available. If you want to keep calories down somewhat, stick to dishes without cream sauces, not fried or breaded, etc. Or just splurge get the specialty of the house or something that sound unique. One or two meals isn't going to ruin the rest of your life. It's what you do outside those splurges that determines your overall success.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh. Depending on your tastes, there are a lot of potentially healthy local restaurant options right across the river from the Consol in the Southside. There is Kassab's (Middle Eastern), Nakama or Little Tokyo Bistro (Japanese), Thai Me Up (obviously Thai), the Double Wide Grill (good vegetarian/vegan options) and Zenith Tea Room (Vegan), and OTB (Over the Bar Bicycle Cafe) - Lunch portions at these places would be pretty reasonable. Of course, you'd have to follow the usual dining out rules (avoiding fried, heavy sauces, apps and desserts, etc) and try to choose the healthier options from the menus. Pittsburgh is very walkable around the Consol and along the rivers, so you could get a little workout in just seeing the sites around town. Unfortunately, these local places don't have nutrition info on websites, so you would have to estimate, and definitely log your meals to the best of your ability. Even if you go off track, you'll know exactly how much. Don't undo all that hard work over a few days! Good Luck and enjoy your visit! :)
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Log it as you go. Four days won't totally unravel your eating plan but for future reference you'll want to know what happened that week that slowed/stalled your weight loss. This is real life, and it sounds like a fun trip.

Don't necessily put fast food off-limits. After all, your friend has needs to. Figure out what you are comfortable with - grilled chicken, salads, etc. Bring a cooler with some yogurt and sandwiches so you have quick easy meals. Then at a rest stop you can pull out your own lunch and save the cals for fun later.

JessVaughn74 gave good advice for making choices. It's the same no matter where you are.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the input! I really appreciate it! And I feel much better about being able to handle this trip with my new lifestyle!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Here is my philosophy. My body will log it whether I do or not. But, if I log it I will have a much better idea of what choices I make do to my body and the knowledge to make better choices.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's a great time to practice intuitive eating for "real life." MFP's a crutch that I've been using for 6 months to re-learn how to eat...re-learn what a portion of something looks like, etc. My diet itself is a lifestyle...it doesn't change just because I go out of town or whatever. I still eat my fruits and my veg and my lean proteins, etc and I listen to my body...eat when I'm hungry and by now I know what a portion of most things looks like. I don't plan on logging my food for the rest of my life, so IMHO, it's good to take the training wheels off once in awhile and practice "real life."
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely log everything even if you are planning on going over your calorie budget. The thing is, if you stop logging, it might be that much harder to get back into it when you get back.

That said, I eat at fast food places all the time. In fact, it's probably the biggest part of my diet simply because I'm in the car or at work way more than I'm at home. You just have to learn what's fine to eat there and which restaurants to stay away from.

Arby's is surprisingly horribly full of calories--especially their sides. This is the only place I would say to avoid like the plague. Which is really sad to me because it's also one of my favorite fast food places.

McDonalds has some surprisingly really good options, such as their grilled chicken classic sandwich, which, with a regular size fry and a diet coke equals out to a meal of 730 calories.

KFC also has some good options, such as their honey bbq chicken sandwich (which, unfortunately, they've just stopped carrying in my area over the last of couple weeks, but maybe they have it elsewhere) which is only 320 calories. KFC's sides like a small mashed potatoes and gravy (120 calories) and coleslaw (170 calories) are probably the best sides you can get at a fast food place.

I don't eat there, but Wendy's has some awesome salads, just skip or get low cal dressing and their small chili is only 210 calories.

Subway has a lot of really great choices, but most of the problem there comes from the condiments you choose. Also consider not getting cheese.

Taco Bell's menu is also really awesome. Consider getting a chicken burrito (177 calories) or a bean burrito (198 calories). A fresco crunchy taco from there is a whopping 92 calories. Their gordita supremes (either chicken, beef or steak) are all just 153 calories. Seriously, Taco Bell's got it going on.

I did a lot of research at the beginning of my journey with MFP because I absolutely refuse to give up fast food. You can eat healthy pretty much anywhere. This website was a godsend to me: http://getfednotfat.com/

Just make sure you have a plan before you eat out. Don't make hasty decisions while you're sitting in the drivethru and you'll be okay.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would log. At least you know how much over you are. You can still make many great food choices, which many people have posted so I won't repeat.

As for alcohol intake, you can always drink less and make good choices with respect to what you choose to drink.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You could also pack at least some healthy things, get a cooler and put yogurt, fruit and veggies in it so you don't need to spend as much money eating out along your travels.

But, I'd log as best I could.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals and stops in advance based on available nutrition info. Planning ahead greatly reduces bad decisions and will make it easier to track.. Also pack stuff for breakfast and snacks. For example - packets of oatmeal, granola (for yogurt) or breakfast bars for breakfast and granola bars for snacks. If you know you're drinking a lot of alcohol or eating at a bad restaurant for 1 meal, try to control everything else. But whatever you do PLAN AHEAD and log, a few days off may mean a complete derailment and cheating for 3 days may lead to taking 4 weeks to getting back on track!
  • Jinkeys
    Jinkeys Posts: 26
    Options
    You bite it, you write it.

Don't be afraid of what it looks like, it's not a contest, this is your new way of life.
    Logging always helps me make the better choice :)
    You can too!!
  • kegger1997
    Options
    this is awesome info...thank you
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like on a road trip, fast food could be your best friend, if you do it right. ...and this is coming from a person who doesn't even eat fast food. I say that because you have the nutritional info at your fingertips, and because you can choose healthy(ish) options, knowing good and well how many calories, etc, you're putting into your body. No matter who good a guesser you are, when you don't know the nutritional information, it's still just a guess. I feel like too much guessing can lead to trouble on the scale - at least that's been my experience. That being said, I think what one of the previous posters said is correct - I wouldn't look at this scenario as a free for all. Log what you eat (to the best of your ability, even if there is a lot of guessing going on, and even if you're going over). Try to stay within your calories, get in exercise, etc, where you can. My experience with scenarios like this is, when I 'went off my diet' I always completely regretted it, and it took me weeks to get back on track. On the other hand, more recently, I look at the way I eat as, well, the way I eat, not a diet, no matter where I am, no matter what I'm doing. In scenarios such as the one you're facing, I still eat within my calories, work out, etc, and I still enjoy myself, without the nasty after effects of weight gain and remorse. If you can get in an hour run on any of those days, you're looking at quite a few extra calories to play with during the day. If you're going to be eating out for dinner, eat a smaller lunch and breakfast, etc. Do what you would do at home, on a regular basis. Maybe you can't microwave a Lean Cuisine, but you can get a 6" sandwich from Subway. Also, on the alcohol front, a little self control (set a hard limit on the amount of drinks you're going to consume) and knowledge about low cal drinks will take you a loooonnnnggggg way. Just sayin'.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I say log.

I don't understand why you anticipate going over on calories, carbs, and probaby fat at every meal. True, you're going away on a fun trip - and you should plan on having a good time -- but it sounds like you're just going to "go hog wild" I get that at the show at the club you plan on drinking "copious" amounts of alcohol. Enjoy. But other than that there are good choices you can make. Tristaan and Kevin have given you great suggestions.

Looking at your diary I can see that you are doing a great job on eating healthy. When I went on a week-long vacation last year I came back with a loss. While you may not lose due to drinking the alcohol, you could probably have a week "staying the same" which isn't bad. Do you want to spend weeks losing the weight you'll probably gain if you go wild and crazy? :ohwell: :frown:

Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy the trip -- the concert sounds great!
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell's menu is also really awesome. Consider getting a chicken burrito (177 calories) or a bean burrito (198 calories). A fresco crunchy taco from there is a whopping 92 calories. Their gordita supremes (either chicken, beef or steak) are all just 153 calories. Seriously, Taco Bell's got it going on.

I just wanted to say that I was wrong about this. My numbers for everywhere else are correct, but I was hastily looking at grams instead of calories on Taco Bell's website. The correct calorie counts are:

Chicken Burrito: 420 calories (I'm gonna remove my suggestion for this because there are better things on the menu.)
    Bean Burrito: 370 calories
    Fresco Crunchy Taco: 140 calories
    Gorditas: chicken: 270 calories, steak: 280 calories, beef: 300 calories

Taco Bell still has really low numbers. You can definitely do worse than a chicken or steak gordita supreme. Anything that can be made fresco there will remove a lot of calories. They have some really awesome sides and desserts, too, such as their black beans which are 80 calories or their cinnamon twists which are 170 calories.

I'm gonna stop talking now before I sound like a taco bell spokesman.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Personally...skip all this fast food nonsense...you're going to Pitt...they have some awesome local fare and great local establishments that are going to serve up much better food.