Help...anyone do their workouts first thing in the AM?

Options
Anyone do their workouts first thing in the AM? I am trying to do mine in the AM before work which is around 5AM...I was just reading online that its not good to workout on an empty stomach..."when you regularly work out on an empty stomach, you risk losing muscle mass, and ultimately slowing your metabolism." I don't have time that early to eat, wait...then workout...any suggestions/tips about what others do for early AM workouts???? I'm on a 1200 calorie/day plan, limited processed foods, sugar, etc

Thanks!

Replies

• purple_shmoo
    Options
    When I run in the early morning I try to eat a banana or a TBSP of Peanut Butter or a yogurt. These are all easily digestable enough that I don't really wait after eating them to work out. It accomplishes not working out on an empty stomach but also doesn't eat up a big calorie amount or make me need to wait to work out.
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    You could eat a banana or a handful of nuts in the morning if you don't want an empty stomach but don't have much time. I've seen studies both for and against working out on an empty stomach, so I don't really know if it's a negative thing or not.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am, after a large glass of water..
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I run 5-6 miles in the am before ever eating anything! The trick is to stay hydrated and not to exercise to vigorously!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Up at 3 AM, in the gym by 3:20. I eat a banana on the way out and bring a big drink with me.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:30am..all I do is drink water before. My workout is only 30 min so I don't really think I am going to greatly impact my metabolism by this. If you feel weak or hungry--then try to eat something small and easily digestible. If you feel ok I wouldn't stress out about it. Seems like nutrition/exercise advice changes all the time so grain of salt.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I work out around 6am.
    That is true, you can risk losing muscle mass, but a lot of people do it to lose fat.
    I just eat a few scoops of oatmeal before my workout or a slice of toast. Sometimes I do not eat anything and siill have enough energy to last me through a 90 minute workout.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also work out at 5am, get up at 4 so that I have time to get ready and drive 30 minutes to the gym!! I do not eat but I drink a cup of coffee on the way and some water.
    I finally get to eat about 2 hours after my workout, usually around 9 am!! It seems to work fine and I don't have an issue. In fact, it was suggested to do that in the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips. It has always worked for me!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I will have a cup of coffee and some water most mornings before my weekday run. I only eat if I am going to do a long run or my workout is later and I need to put something in my stomach.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    I posed this same question a few months ago. People told me it was OK to workout on an empty stomach, so I went for it. I stay very hydrated while at the gym. I'll push myself very hard for an hour and then head home for a nice healthy breakfast (and shower of course!) It hasn't seemed to hurt me any! If anything, it has enhanced my metabolism and keeps it going throughout the day.
  • allen4mlbj
    Options
    I eat before I leave for the gym at 4:30am but I have a 20 minute ride. Then I stretch and either lift weights or elliptical for 45 minutes. I have carbs and proteins like whole wheat toast with peanut butter or fruit and oatmeal- but small portions.
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do much much better if I go in the morning, if I can drag myself there, I get it
    behind me and I feel better the rest of the day because I did something good.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a nanner or granola bar with a bottle of water on my way to the gym between 5-6am!
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    You wont just burn up muscle because you havent eaten in 8 hours. The primary energy source for weightlifting or HIT is glycogen which is stored carbohydrates in the working muscle. So really you dont even need to eat anything before. Make sure you hit your macros for the day and profit.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I always have, and at the most, I choke down half a granola bar with some coffee before a workout....anything more just makes me want to hurl. Its perfectly fine to exercise on an empty stomach as long as you have the energy to get through it (seems like everyone has really different energy levels in the morning)..

I ALWAYS have something planned to eat after the workout, as I generally am ready to chew my own arm off by the time I shower, dress and head on to work.
  • mdorsett221
    mdorsett221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just make a protein shake and drink half of it on my way to the gym and half after my workout. I feel like I have more energy that way and I'm not too full to workout effectively.
  • rocwright3
    Options
    I'm in the gym by 5 am and I was told the same thing so I have a 1/2 c skim milk before I workout. Just started a week ago so I'm not sure if it will hurt or help me.
  • livinlavidaloco
    Options
    I workout about an hour after waking. I use to workout on an empty stomach but try not to anymore. I find it very difficult to get through my workout without eating something. My preworkout meal is usually 1/4 cup oatmeal with 1/2 a small apple chopped , a few dried cranberries, a spoon of peanut or almond butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Its quick and not overfilling!!
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I commend anyone who can get up earlier than they have to and workout! Wow!!

I did it for a bit (briefly) and would try to have a packet of instant oatmeal beforehand (plain, whole-grain w/ some frozen blueberries) and then have a protein shake after (mixed with water). A combination of complex carbs, simple carbs and protein.

My "theory" was that I was giving myself some energy to go workout (the oatmeal was light enough so I didn't feel sick working out on a full stomach) and then replenishing my muscles with protein afterwards. I could be very wrong though :)
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been working out on an empty stomach between 5 and 5:45 AM for several years now and have had no trouble maintaining a healthy weight. I'm certainly not losing muscle mass.

When I say working out I mean an hour of heavy lifting or a 3-6 mile run 5 or 6 days a week. Also, I'm constantly hungry after I work out so I really don't think my metabolism has slowed. If anything I feel like it's revved up.