Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Options
Have been reading this book by a Pulitzer Prize–winning investigative reporter at The New York Times named Michael Moss. The food industry takes the cheapest ingredients, and through meticulous food science blends with salt, sugar, and fat, and then does extensive taste testing of different formulations in their target markets to determine the "bliss point" (the point at which the product is the most irresistible). This art was fine tuned on kids and breakfast cereals, which are not cereal at all, but “breakfast dessert” no better than candy. But we’re not just talking about breakfast cereal, there at 60,000 items in an average grocery store. How many of them are all natural? From tomato sauce to salad dressing, the vast majority are being altered to suck us in. The food industry understands taste, mouth feel, and the various ways to use sugar, salt, and fat can be made to overcome the bitter, nasty taste of preservatives and other ingredients to produce optimal appeal. They know how to make that appeal overcome a sense of being full so we eat more. And then use marketing to drive the product home. I learned that Coke has found marketing to new customers in the US not nearly as profitable as targeting their existing customers to get them to drink more. The description of the psychology of food is really interesting. If you give a person a glass of Coke (without telling them the brand) and ask them to rate the taste, the result is good. But tell them it is Coke and the enjoyment factor goes through the roof. The advertising actually improves the taste – 100% reproducible. So if a competing product tastes identical or even better, people will like the taste of the Coke better. Is this an accident? Oh, and Coke recently reformulated a little to reduce the amount of “secret formula” in the Coke to add more corn syrup, still maintaining the “bliss point”, saving $$$$s. Brilliant! Someone earned a huge bonus. I wasn’t when I started, but am now firmly convinced that many of the obese didn’t fall into obesity, they were deliberately pushed. I definitely think a read of this book would help bolster any dieter's willpower to see the effort the food industry goes to to help them fail.

And why? If the public demanded fresh organic broccoli, free range chicken, and whole grain cereal – wouldn’t the food industry just move over to supplying these foods instead. No. These foods are much more expensive to produce, much shorter shelf life, and people won’t eat them in endless quantity. How much would they have to charge for a bunch of broccoli to make the same profit they make on a can of Coke? The food industry survives on the high profit margins only supplied by selling the cheapest food at a premium price.

I searched and found an inactive thread on this book in another sub-forum. People seem to think that the consumer demand provides the incentive for companies to produce these foods. No one if forcing people to eat these foods, right? I agree to a point. But the food industry advertises the sugariest arguably worst for you foods to young kids. And they are constantly tinkering with the recipes of the products. Ketchup – they learned that by taking out some of the tomato and adding sugar the amount of consumption goes up and the cost goes down. I am not saying that strong willed MFPers can’t use will-power and nutrition knowledge to battle this, but don’t fool yourselves – as a population we are being driven to obesity – on purpose – by a food industry intent on making the cheapest most appealing products, using advertising to make them sound healthy, and advertising them to those least capable of resisting.

What if the food industry actually created “addictive sugar” – a sugar molecule that was physically addictive? Would that be ok to market to kids? Haven’t they come pretty close already?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    There is too much Nanny-Statism already. Just teach your kids how to eat properly just like how you teach them to look both ways before crossing the road, addictive substances etc. We don't need the government doing it. Do it yourself parents.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    nanny statism. lol. well, I for one, love stop signs.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'd heard about the author/book and have been wanting to check the library. Thanks for the reminder!! :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    In for the poo storm.

Kids eat what you let them eat. Sure, they will have opportunities to eat sugary stuff - just like we do. It's not going to kill them in moderation. Don't have it in your house and you cut a lot of that temptation out.

Sugar already IS addictive. No additives or engineering needed.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt that companies sit around contemplating ways to destroy it's customers by making them obese. They are out to make a profit...plain and simple.

When I read things like the OP, it's just another example of people looking for something to fear. The producers of books and "documentaries" that promote mass hysteria are guilty of playing on the natural tendency of people to find something to worry about.

Sigh.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This gunna be good.
    I can't wait for the fast food defenders to get here.
  • ohheyitssteve
    ohheyitssteve Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Food companies want to make food that customers enjoy and want to consume?! *Better call the press, this is big stuff!*
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oh thank heavens. All this time I worried that my being fat had something to do with me. Nice to know someone else is to blame for what I purchase and consume. That's a load off.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Your belief that the "Food Giants" hooked us is false. You willingly CHOSE to eat the food
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This is going to be fun!
    wheeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I for one am shocked that any company would do things to make their products more appealing to consumers while keeping production costs down!
    I mean really! I thought they were all out there working hard every day to figure out how to be sure we only ate food that is good for us.

Wait, do you mean my mommy isn't CEO of General Mills?

Be responsible for yourself.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    sugar is added to pretty much any packaged product in america

i've always said they put something in there that makes you want more of it.

always thought it was odd that things like apples taste a lot better the longer its been since you've had a candy bar or slice of cake or the like.
  • iwillwearshorts
    iwillwearshorts Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    People ate healthier before television, right? Advertising works; otherwise, they wouldn't spend millions on it.

I like your attitude of taking control and ignoring the advertisers. And, I respect how much you've lost and am trying to get there myself.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I am conflicted.

On the one hand, I am shocked...SHOCKED that a corporation would choose profits over what is best for the health of consumers.

On the other hand, I am so relieved to have someone else to blame for my problems.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    maybe its not really news, but i think there is a very large number of people that think that if they buy a bag of chicken wings out of the freezer in the grocery store that this is somehow much better then going to KFC. they are both really fast food, one you just have to heat up yourself.

honestly think a lot of people have the mentality that as long as you avoid candy and snack food at the grocery store then your eating 100% healthy and thats not the case.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    come on guys, one thing is still true. so many people gave in this that today it is hard to find food without sugar and stuff in it.

Trust me I buy only food without added sugar etc.. but even roasted pepper in glass containers have added sugars for some reason!

I stick to a one ingredient grocery list, but I find it shamefull that in 2013 I cannot buy a basic tomato sauce without added sugar and salt. I can do it myself, I often doo, but groceries should be an option when buying these things, not an enemy trying to "hide" everything (ok not hidden but still a pain in the *kitten* to look for every single time).
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Another reason why the food industry pushes crap over whole foods is because whole foods take a lot of time to produce/grow. They only need a bunch of man made chemicals to produce a lot of the crap food like coke, so they are limited to the amount of whole foods that can be produced.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Wait. KFC has wings?? What kind? Like Buffalo style? *goes to look up KFC locations*
  • efirkey
    Options
    But the foods are addictive like any drug and you can not avoid eating as easily as you can avoid using recreational drugs.
  • efirkey
    Options
    Is the book good? I almost bought it a couple of weeks ago.