Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Options

Replies

• timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There once was a thread that asked what our bad eating habits were, and after thinking about it for a while, the answer for me was all of them. I'm not a purist, but have come to realize that there is very little produced by processed food manufacturers that helps me attain reasonable health and fitness goals. I read an article by the author (though not the book) and he makes a compelling case that this is not an accident--foods are engineered for profit maximization rather than public health benefits.

We can disagree about politics, but a primary role of the government is to represent the public interest. The epidemic of obesity in the US and other first world countries is at least partly (and I would contend significantly) due to an ethically abhorrent manipulation of the food supply by corporate interests that is contrary to the public interest. We as consumers should be demanding changes from food manufacturers and the government should assist in this effort by sponsoring and publicizing solid scientific and medical research. I believe in individual freedom and am not in favor of government mandating a reduction in choices, but it is important for us both as individuals and as a society that we are able to make informed choices.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I seriously doubt that companies sit around contemplating ways to destroy it's customers by making them obese. They are out to make a profit...plain and simple.

When I read things like the OP, it's just another example of people looking for something to fear. The producers of books and "documentaries" that promote mass hysteria are guilty of playing on the natural tendency of people to find something to worry about.

Sigh.

Really?

Clearly the food industry makes a profit by selling more food. And they sell more food by making the nation fat. The too are too closely linked.

I DO think they sit around all day trying to figure out a way to get us to buy more of their product because I can't resist it.

The nation is getting fat at an alarming rate. The food industry acknowledged their contribution in 1999 and portions tried to self-regulate, but failed due to the huge profit motive on the other side. Read the first chapter.

No one that has commented has even addressed the fact that it is the kids that are targeted first - it is hard to preach a healthy lifestyle to them. And to anyone that says that parents can dictate what their kids eat, especially once they go into school, is being overly idealistic.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    But the foods are addictive like any drug and you can not avoid eating as easily as you can avoid using recreational drugs.
    Sure you can. Every couple of days I go to one of the 5 or 6 grocery stores by my house and buy real food. How is that hard?
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    come on guys, one thing is still true. so many people gave in this that today it is hard to find food without sugar and stuff in it.

Trust me I buy only food without added sugar etc.. but even roasted pepper in glass containers have added sugars for some reason!

I stick to a one ingredient grocery list, but I find it shamefull that in 2013 I cannot buy a basic tomato sauce without added sugar and salt. I can do it myself, I often doo, but groceries should be an option when buying these things, not an enemy trying to "hide" everything (ok not hidden but still a pain in the *kitten* to look for every single time).

When I make my own pasta sauce I add salt and sugar to it, but at least I can control how much is being added or whether or not I add it.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt that companies sit around contemplating ways to destroy it's customers by making them obese. They are out to make a profit...plain and simple.

When I read things like the OP, it's just another example of people looking for something to fear. The producers of books and "documentaries" that promote mass hysteria are guilty of playing on the natural tendency of people to find something to worry about.

Sigh.

Really?

Clearly the food industry makes a profit by selling more food. And they sell more food by making the nation fat. The too are too closely linked.

I DO think they sit around all day trying to figure out a way to get us to buy more of their product because I can't resist it.

The nation is getting fat at an alarming rate. The food industry acknowledged their contribution in 1999 and portions tried to self-regulate, but failed due to the huge profit motive on the other side. Read the first chapter.

No one that has commented has even addressed the fact that it is the kids that are targeted first - it is hard to preach a healthy lifestyle to them. And to anyone that says that parents can dictate what their kids eat, especially once they go into school, is being overly idealistic.

Yes...really.

Oh...by the way...the sky is falling.:wink:
  • drcherokee
    Options
    Agreed. Fast food companies want to maximize profit, so how can they maximize profit if they're getting horribly bad press? It's not in their interest to "make people obese," it's in their interest to make a profit. Too much bad press about unhealthy foods, then they offer healthier ones. Luckily, with the internet and places like Myfitnesspal it's much easier to track and make healthier decisions.

Much like fighting free speech with free speech, how do you fight bad food? With the knowledge of how bad it is and the alternatives. Not directly demonizing companies trying to make a profit. If they're evil, don't buy anything from them. Exercise your right to vote with your pocketbook.

Do I want a nanny state telling me what I can eat? No. The government isn't my daddy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    But the foods are addictive like any drug and you can not avoid eating as easily as you can avoid using recreational drugs.

You don't need the extra large popcorn and the extra large coke at the theater.

Try bringing your own snacks, or at least stop buying the coke. Even better, eat before you go to the theater.

The less of that crap you eat, the less of it you'll crave.
  • efirkey
    Options

Try bringing your own snacks, or at least stop buying the coke. Even better, eat before you go to the theater.

Are you allowed to bring in your own snacks to the movie theater?

I haven't had popcorn or a coke in at least five months, but I very much enjoy them. There is something in the movie theater butter that just makes it so that I can't stop eating it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

They don't want you to, but do you have pockets or a backpack?

Where I live (in the U.S.) they haven't started searching people to go in the theater...

Yet :laugh:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Another reason why the food industry pushes crap over whole foods is because whole foods take a lot of time to produce/grow. They only need a bunch of man made chemicals to produce a lot of the crap food like coke, so they are limited to the amount of whole foods that can be produced.

All you need are you and a few million of your closest friends to demand only sugar free tomato sauce and bam, some evil corporation will be glad to produce it and sell it to you.
    In the mean time, they know people buy what tastes good to them and they'd go out of business selling tomato sauce without sugar if that isn't what the market wants.
  • efirkey
    Options
    Another reason why the food industry pushes crap over whole foods is because whole foods take a lot of time to produce/grow. They only need a bunch of man made chemicals to produce a lot of the crap food like coke, so they are limited to the amount of whole foods that can be produced.

All you need are you and a few million of your closest friends to demand only sugar free tomato sauce and bam, some evil corporation will be glad to produce it and sell it to you.
    In the mean time, they know people buy what tastes good to them and they'd go out of business selling tomato sauce without sugar if that isn't what the market wants.

I agree. The food industry is just feeding you what you think you want (brainwashed).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I have cargo shorts with gigantic pockets and my wife has a big purse. Of course, I use those pockets to bring in gatorade and raisinets, not apples and edamame. One time smuggled in double quarter pounder with cheese. But hey, to each their own.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    It is a good book. I am not done but reading it. As I said, anyone interested in reading it will certainly bolster their own weight loss by better understanding the enemy.

There are too many people here that say I am doing great, I know how to control myself, I know what to buy at the grocery, I am not influenced by the processed foods and what the food industry does. Pat yourselves on the back and then take yourself out of the discussion. The nation is getting fatter and fatter. Our kids are getting fatter and fatter. Even us, the success stories on MFP, 90% of us will regain our weight.

I don't have a solution but acknowledging that the cause is largely due to the food industry manipulating bad for your food to taste irresistible is a step in the right direction.
  • drcherokee
    Options

Sigh.

Really?

Who is the arbiter of what is "healthy"? That's like asking the government to decide what's beautiful. I don't disagree that we as a nation are fat, and I don't even necessarily disagree with public service messages about how bad sugar is, or how bad cigarettes are, etc., but overregulation is depressing our economy and it does more harm than good. I'm not saying it doesn't do good, it does more HARM than good on balance. It's hard to eat healthy when you're struggling to make ends meet and don't have as much time to think about those things.

Another reason for allowing parents to use vouchers to pick schools that have healthy lunch programs. Instead of mandating everything, let's give people more choices. That's the way to go.

Kids are targeted by all SORTS of ads on TV...should we ban all those or start regulating them? It's parental responsibility to instill and mandate healthy eating habits into children, not "society" or "government."
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

I agree. The food industry is just feeding you what you think you want (brainwashed).

I assure you, my mind is about as dirty as they come. I am not a puppet. I do not fear being made in to a puppet.
  • tinkx2
    tinkx2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I have cargo shorts with gigantic pockets and my wife has a big purse. Of course, I use those pockets to bring in gatorade and raisinets, not apples and edamame. One time smuggled in double quarter pounder with cheese. But hey, to each their own.

I bring my own dressing to restaurants!! Allowed? Ummm, no...but who's stopping me??
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    It is a good book. I am not done but reading it. As I said, anyone interested in reading it will certainly bolster their own weight loss by better understanding the enemy.

There are too many people here that say I am doing great, I know how to control myself, I know what to buy at the grocery, I am not influenced by the processed foods and what the food industry does. Pat yourselves on the back and then take yourself out of the discussion. The nation is getting fatter and fatter. Our kids are getting fatter and fatter. Even us, the success stories on MFP, 90% of us will regain our weight.

I don't have a solution but acknowledging that the cause is largely due to the food industry manipulating bad for your food to taste irresistible is a step in the right direction.

The only way you could do stop the current system would be to give control of food production to the government. The government would have to dictate acceptable and unacceptable ingredients and the ratios in which ingredients could be used. The the government would have to inspect all food production for compliance.
    Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
  • efirkey
    Options

I assure you, my mind is about as dirty as they come. I am not a puppet. I do not fear being made in to a puppet.

The brainwashed comment wasn't directed at you..sorry.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Sigh.

I agree. Didn't Kessler already write this book?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I love my movie purse! Though I tend to smuggle in flasks as well as candy. Jurassic Park 3D is awesome, but *tipsy* Jurassic Park 3D? That's the stuff dreams are made of.